Duration and Number of Classes for Beginning Crochet

Hi,

Me again.

So, I am still thinking of writing a course proposal for intro crochet in an adult ed context.

What do you think would be a good lesson duration and how many lessons for an intro class?

I could do anywhere between 1 and 2 hours for the per class length.

I could do from 4 to 9 weeks for the total course length...

What would you do?

Obviously, the longer the classes and the more there are in the course, the more expensive the course will be for the students...

Would 4 one hour sessions (with one week in between classes) be enough to ground folks in the basics?

Cheers,

At first I thought that didn't sound like much time, but I thought back on how I learned, from a friend's mom when I was in high school, and I'm sure I didn't spend as much as 4 hours with her.

On the other hand, I had 1 on 1 attention...the more students you have, it might be tougher if you have students progressing at different paces....especially if you have 'other handed' students (righties if you're a leftie, lefties if you're a rightie). I tried to teach a left-handed friend long ago, that did NOT go well :(

Maybe it would be enough to cover the basics (ch, sc, dc, rows, rounds) and, with homework, a couple of projects (pot holder, hat).

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Me again.

So, I am still thinking of writing a course proposal for intro crochet in an adult ed context.

What do you think would be a good lesson duration and how many lessons for an intro class?

I could do anywhere between 1 and 2 hours for the per class length.

I could do from 4 to 9 weeks for the total course length...

What would you do?

Obviously, the longer the classes and the more there are in the course, the more expensive the course will be for the students...

Would 4 one hour sessions (with one week in between classes) be enough to ground folks in the basics?

Cheers,

I've recently done my first crochet basics course for Ad Ed. The course went for three weeks, two hours per class with 10 students - and I found that wasn't long enough. I think that 6 weeks, at 2.5 hours each would be far better. My plan was to teach the basic stitches the first week, squares and circles the next (working in the round), and complete a dishcloth or something the third. The first week we only got to chain and sc/dc.

good luck with it. Its extremely rewarding.

I ran a class for 4 weeks, 1 time per week for 2 hours each session. In my beginner class I teach a ch, sl st, sc, hdc, dc and how to sc 2 pcs together. By the time classes are over the students complete a double thick potholder, a magic square potholder, a dishcloth, and a towel with a no button crochet top. If you need any help or other info you can pm me. Good Luck! :hook

Thanks, everyone...

That is great information.

I've pitched the class as one hour for six weeks (as I had to put in the proposal before I got your wise counsel :P)... I am already afraid that if I get more than 4 or 5 students that will be far too short as a per-class time, but I'll make myself available until everyone has gotten a go at some help on the target stitch(es) for the night...

If it gets enrollment and I find that the hour is too short, I'll amend it for the next term...

If it does not get enrollment by the first class, I may repitch it for later in the semester to be advertised on the website only, but with at least 1.5 to 2 hours timing. (The standard classes in the college are 2 hours x 8 weeks, but the director said I could structure it however I liked...)

I was thinking of getting them started with swatches of sc in the first class - and introduce chain and working into the chain with sc... so they can do something from scratch at home as well - if they are computer savvy, I'll also suggest they sign on here so they can contact me (and the rest of the helpful folks around here) between classes...

I was thinking about bringing in my stash about midway through the term to give them an idea of some various yarn types, etc. - and bringing my books and WIPs and such for them to have a look at possibilities. Unfortunately, I do not still have any of my very early attempts (I learned when visiting my mom in the US, ao did not really bring my first attempts back to Oz with me...)

Thanks again, all!

:hug:manyheart

Marika

Archived