My Scoop at Vinnie's - Rowan Cotton Glace for nearly 50c per ball!

marikamum

:yay

I popped into the local Vinnie's today (to the non-Aussies - the secondhand thrift shop for the Society of St Vincent DePaul) and what did I spy, but a bag of Rowan Cotton Glace yarn.

9 balls - 6 of a dark pink and 3 of a lighter one for $5!!! :2rock

I know that was a good deal, but when I checked some online prices for Oz and they were discounted at Woolshack for about $9 PER BALL, I was ecstatic :D (regular price around $12.60, I think...)

:woo!

There is the small matter of my promise to self not to buy any more yarn till I had worked down my stash... :think hmmm.... well, I will resist the urge to comb through all the VInnie's and Salvo's shops until I have worked something up out of these and worked down my stash a bit.

Really.

Cheers,

Someone after my own heart!! I call our local Salvation Army "Sallies"! I scored Patons Canadiana yarn 9 skeins of it on their half-price day for $.25 (yes, that's 25 cents) a skein. I love thrift store shopping!! I feel like I have been going GREEN way before it became the latest thing to do!! GOOD ON YA!

What a wonderful find! I wouldn't worry about how much stash you already have at home when a bargain this good comes along.

• 3 weeks later...
What a wonderful find! I wouldn't worry about how much stash you already have at home when a bargain this good comes along.

I completely agree....but my husband wouldn't lol! :hook The more yarn the better.

Congrats on the great find :yay I like to shop the local thrift stores here and sallies...very often I come across great bargins you can't pass up. Last week I found sugar n cream yarn for .25 per ball! I bought all they had and walked away with two full grocery bags for only $6.00.

Gotta love sallies...

psstttt....they are opening a mega sallies (like huge warehouse size) store right by my house......I can't wait to check it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My thought exactly! No matter how large one's stash is, no matter what kind of promises one has made to oneself not to buy more yarn until the stash has gotten smaller, when prices like that come along, all bets are off and the yarn must be bought! If you crochet to any appreciable degree, it's silly to pass up a bargain like that because you'll use the yarn sooner or later for something. And if you DON'T buy it, I GUARANTEE that a pattern will pop up or someone you know will want something that the yarn would have been PERFECT for within a matter of weeks of passing up the yarn. It's just how it is! :yes

Elle,

I completely agree with you. I stop by my dollar tree occasionally just to check, they are the only discount place I have near me. We don't have any thrift shops and such here. Well about three weeks ago they had Bernat Haven in white, teal, light green and black and I didn't really have a project for it so I passed since money is tight now.

Well lo and behold, my son tells me his fiance would love to have a hooded scarf for Christmas. I went back to Dollar Tree and the only thing they had left was the black. Well beggers can't be choosers and for $6.00 I felt I really couldn't be that picky, so I go 6 skeins of the black and will use that to make her scarf. Black wouldn't have been my first choice but it will go with anything she wears and I am sure she will like it.

I guarantee I will never pass up a good deal again. I might have to hide it for a bit until I can get it into my ever growing stash :lol but we crocheters must do what we must do.

LOL,

Toni

Archived