Prayer shawls for young men

hookdonU

Question

Got your thinking caps on???? :think My pastor approached me last week to ask if the shawl ministry group would be willing to make prayer shawls for two teen boys for confirmation. I said yes.

These need to be done by the middle of October. :eek I need a quick pattern and one that is not "holey", holy is OK though but the pastor did specify that he did not want these to be outwardly religious because he wants something the kids can take with them to college, etc. I suggested that stadium blankets or lap robes might be more appropriate but he said that would defeat the purpose of wrapping them in encouragement for their journey.

Any suggestions for patterns suitable for men??? I considered alternating rows of sc and dcs, but am hoping for something a little less boring. :sigh

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

10 answers to this question

I would never have thought of a shawl for a man or young man but when you said "wrapping them in encouragement for their journey" it makes sense. A cable pattern down the center sounds nice. Manly colors of course. What yarn will you be using?

What about something like the flannelghan. 3 strips of smaller squares making more of a lumberjack thing.

Your Pastor's heart is in the right place but I really don't think too many guys want to be wrapped in a shawl - especially in front of everyone else their first year of college.

What about prayer cloths? I have a small one on my blog (look under free patterns) and a larger one on my etsy shop. If you're going to use it for this outreach I'll be more than happy to give you that pattern. (if your pastor approves it)

There are things we could definitely use the prayer cloth pattern for; children especially. Let me run it by my pastor and let you know but I love the prayer cloth idea especially for first communions and confirmation shawls for the girls (this class only has 2 students-the boys). I haven't done filet before but am willing to try new things as I reach out in skills and faith.

when my son made his confirmation it was only him and a girl in our congregation making it. even though he is in theater he was still nervous about this passage in life in front of even our small congregation. personally i think even though he is a very open minded kid that a prayer shawl would have been over the edge for him but something like a stadium blanket or lap robe would be better. you can still be "wrapped" in it. good luck!

I think a throw for their bed would be great if you have time, they could literally cover themselves in prayers as they go out into the world. Maybe a ripple pattern, in colors of some significance to the young men as they go out into the world.

Archived