Trying to design my own afghan

Kuschelschaf

Question

Hi everyone!!

I saw the finished Tetris afghan and I thought that maybe Q*Bert would be an interesting afghan to try and work out. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to work it out in Granny squares. I also have never designed anything before, so it is quite a challenge for me, but I think it's a cute idea. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to get started? I have a picture I would like to use, but I am not entirely sure how to size everything and likewise how to use the sizing and the picture to create a graphed out picture. :( I would appreciate any additional help. :)

4 answers to this question

Qbert.png

You mean a design like this?

The basic shape used for each side of the "cube" is an oblong diamond. Begin with a 1 sc (for the tip of the diamond), increase one st at beginning and end of row, every other row. Work until desire width of diamond. Then proceed to decrease 1 st beginning and end every other row until you're back to having 1 sc. Whip stitch the diamonds together. I'm not sure how the whip stitching will look on the raw edges of the diamond, so you may need to sc around the diamond before finishing it off. If you sc around, work 3sc in each corner to keep them pointed.

As far as sizing: Make a test "cube" and measure it before making the afghan. For example, if you were wanting to use the design in the above picture and the test "cube" was 5"x5". Then the finished design on the afghan would be 35"x35" (not including the background, of course). I figured this because the bottom row of the pyramid is 7 cubes across (7x5=35) and the height of the pyramid is 7 cubes high.

Now working the background and finishing the afghan in a square or rectangular shape seems a little tricky. You would need to make triangles (in the background color) to fill in the sides and bottom of the pyramid. So they will be straight and not zig-zagged. At first work along each side of the pyramid separately. Join yarn to one side, work across that side only. Turn. Decrease one st at beginning and end of row, every other row until you only have one st left. Repeat on the other side of the pyramid. Now the whole piece (pyramid and background) will be in a rectangular shape. Now you only need to work in the round, around the rectangle until the afghan is the desired size you want.

Any characters you may want could be embroidered or maybe crocheted flat and then sewn on.

Of course, the other option could be to use a basic graph. I think there are programs or sites online that will graph a picture for you. You can then use it as a guide line for the color work, although I'm not very sure if using a graph would be the best option because it's so geometrical. Definitely worth looking into though.

I also see another way of making the design by working a ripple pattern. You may have to experiment first with this method but in the end a lot less sewing. Work a ripple pattern alternating the teal color and the gray color for several rows (look closely at the picture, you'll see a teal diamond and a gray diamond make a "V"). Then sew blue and yellow diamonds across. Repeat for next row of cubes.

In designing, things sometimes aren't always as easy as they seem as when you thought them out ahead of time. The real test is actually doing it. This is sort of a very loose guide on what I think may work. Good luck. :hook

Thanks!! I totally understand what you mean and it makes a lot of sense. I think I will take the first suggestion with the diamonds and then adding the black triangles to be a part of the background. :hook Thanks so much!!

Last night, I had to drag my old game system out of storage and my Q-Bert game to play last night. Of course, my kids took over and we definitely had some fun. I hope you do create this afghan. The game is so nostalgic. Keep in mind that the diamonds are no different than squares set on their tips because blocks have even sides.

Hope you can help me. I seen how you helped with the unique pattern above. I am wanting to make 2 afghans for our teen grandsons. I was thinking of making them with their initial of their first name. In this case, T & C. I don't know how big to make the letters. I want to make it as I go along instead of adding it later.

I want to do it in dc stitch.

I am afraid of making the letter too big if I try this myself. Sure hope you can help or know of someone who can.

Archived