Crochet newbies how long does it take you to finish an afghan?

Well, I will let you know, I am currently working on a tunisian graph ghan for hubby, 240 stitches :lolby 240 rows. So far 2 weeks, about 90 rows in :clap:) So I am guessing about 5 weeks, but I am probably pretty slow. My first full sized afghan. :yay:D

For it so far it has been about 2 weeks per afghan, one being pretty big, and one being a biggish baby blanket. But, not working (on bed rest) and being at home all day, lets me have lots of time. After the baby is born, I am sure it will slow down, at least until the baby isn't requiring ALL my time :D

meganb, I hope to see a pic of that when you are done!! Sounds like a lot of hard work.

The last one I did was in 2 weeks. But I only work part time and I did something really simple. A ripple using the P hook.

Now I am having to take a break my hands are hurting from over doing the crocheting. lol

My next afghan is going to take much longer I do believe.

For it so far it has been about 2 weeks per afghan, one being pretty big, and one being a biggish baby blanket. But, not working (on bed rest) and being at home all day, lets me have lots of time. After the baby is born, I am sure it will slow down, at least until the baby isn't requiring ALL my time :D

meganb, I hope to see a pic of that when you are done!! Sounds like a lot of hard work.

Hey it really is alot of work. You can see a picture of the graph on my blog. link is down there at the bottom. I can't seem to find my camera cord to get any pics of the progress up, so I am just waiting to run accross it in one of those off the wall places that I never look.

Depends on the pattern, yarn & hook. (and with me, how interesting the TV program is!! :lol) SC or tunisian like Megan's would be on the long end of the scale, lacier ones with a large hook go much quicker. There are some on Lionbrand.com that are supposedly 5 hour ones...

I'm all the wrong one to ask, as I usually have several projects going at once <lol>.

I think, though, an afghan usually takes about 48-50 hours total, depending on the size and complexity. Some of the ones I've done that have a lot of post stitches, clusters, popcorn stitches, etc. have taken up to 6 months, working on them 1/2 to 1 hour at a time.

It depends on how excited I am about a pattern. I have some UFO afghans that are a couple of years old. And right now I am chomping at the bit to start the Cathedral Rose Window afghan and the six point star afghan (which I just got the patterns for last week). I just need to go pick out yarn and get started on them. But I feel guilty about the other 3 UFO's I have laying around....so again depends on my mood! Not much of an answer was it!

The last one I made took about 2 months. That is because I am always working on several projects at a time.

Marina

I just finished a baby afghan made of 30 - 8" squares, plus a border (approx. 45" X 52"). using all my spare time, it took about 3 weeks. It really depends on the afghan size and complexity of the pattern. If working with squares, see how long it takes to make 1 square and figure your time by how many squares you need, then add another 3 - 4 hours for assembly/border. If working in rows, see how long it takes to do 5", and figure your time by how long the afghan is going to be then add an hour +/- if adding border.

Ellie 13

Archived