Sign in to follow this  
leesespieces

felting the strap for a purse - does it shrink less??

for some reason i remember the last time i felted a long strap on a purse, it didn't shrink nearly as much as i had wanted it to. this time i want a strap that's going to be about 18 inches long, and if i went with the shrinking by a third rule, i'd have to make it like 27 inches long. should i do that?? or does it for some reason not shrink as much as usual?

You can make a long strap and attach it after felting. That way you can cut off the extra, because once it's felted it won't unravel.

I also find when felting the strap, it does not shrink as much as the bag. I agree with Kathy, felting separately then cutting if need be assures an accurate length. Good luck!

You can make a long strap and attach it after felting. That way you can cut off the extra, because once it's felted it won't unravel.

That's what I do. The shrinkage really depends on the wool, the tightness of the stitch and how long it's aggitated.

Plus don't forget the rule of inverse proportions: An item will shrink in direct opposition of how you want it to shrink.

I agree, too, that I always felt it separately. That way you can really play with it to make it what you want...you know, since it wont be what you want as a result of loosingmymind2's theory of inverse proportions! (but she's right, of course!)

Also, if you felt it separate, you can do things like double it over, twist it and let it back twist to make it thicker, braid it, etc...just in case!