Awareness Ribbon Square 8" or 12"

carovan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have 4 done my are coming out to be 14 inches i added a round of sc at the endl is round 7 and 11 an error with the 3dc ch 2 2dc

i went with the rest of the pattern as it stated 2 dc ch2 2 dc for the corners

Mine are all different colors i am making 12 squares then joining with whilte

i love the pattern

thank you so so so so so much

shellybeth

i have 4 done my are coming out to be 14 inches i added a round of sc at the endl is round 7 and 11 an error with the 3dc ch 2 2dc

i went with the rest of the pattern as it stated 2 dc ch2 2 dc for the corners

Mine are all different colors i am making 12 squares then joining with whilte

i love the pattern

thank you so so so so so much

shellybeth

I'm glad that it is working out for you. Rnds 7 & 11 are supposed to have the extra dc in the corner. When you fpdc the two fptr together you lose a stitch, so this is where I added it back in so the pattern would remain symetrical. Hope that make sense.

I hope that you will post a picture of yours when you get it done. It sounds amazing.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bearangel-I tried to send you a pm to answer your question, but it said that you aren't accepting pm's.

On Row 4, you will skip over the first three stitches, work a fptr in the 4th stitch, then you have to go back and work in the first three stitches that you just skipped.

Let me know if that answers your question or not. :)

I finally worked up my dishcloth. I also did the 12" version in white acrylic for a comfortghan that another 'ville member is working on. I noticed that a lot of people have trouble with this square.. I had trouble on row 4 at first.. but figured it out pretty quickly once I started the second side. If it helps at all, I wanted to share pictures with everyone that might be interested.

Row 4 says, "fptr around next fpdc" (this is a picture of where that stitch is placed- left handed would be working from opposite direction pictured):

DSCF1508.jpg

Then, "working “behind” fptr just made, dc in joining st and next 2 dc" (this is self explanitory so I didn't take a picture).

Next working “over” fptr, fptr around fpdc on this same side of square (this makes the cross over part of the ribbon)" (this is where this stitch is placed, but hook would be inserted from other side):

DSCF1509.jpg

And here is my finished dishcloth:

DSCF1510.jpg

I did it in peach (could only find variegated) cotton, because that is the color for ovarian cancer awareness... I am gifting this to a friend of mine who is a survivor.

I hope my pictures helped at least a little :hook

Thank you so much for posting the pictures. :hug:manyheart Hopefully, that will help with any confusion. I know that it is very confusing to think about crocheting forward, then going backwards, then going forwards again, but like you said, once you figure it out it is really pretty easy.

I am SO glad you didn't mind :) But I know there are a few people out there who aren't able to make this square, because it can be a little confusing if you aren't used to it. My first side came out wrong and then after I did the second side it was very clear. Thanks again for not minding me posting a little tutorial :hug

Thank you so much for posting the pictures. :hug:manyheart Hopefully, that will help with any confusion. I know that it is very confusing to think about crocheting forward, then going backwards, then going forwards again, but like you said, once you figure it out it is really pretty easy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
AwarenessRibbonSquare.jpg

Awareness Ribbon 8”or 12” square

Original Pattern by Carolyn VanOstran

I made this pattern when I was looking for a square to make for a comfortghan and couldn’t find what I was looking for. You may use this pattern as much as you like, but please don’t sell the pattern.

Skill Level—Intermediate

Hook size—H/8—5.0mm

Gauge -- 7 dc and 4 rows = 2" x 2"

Yarn—Size 4 – worsted weight, like RH SuperSaver

Stitches Used:

DC—Yo, insert hook into stitch indicated and pull up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops again.

Fpdc—Yo, insert hook from front to back to front again around post of st indicated, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops again.

Fptr—Yo 2 times, insert hook from front to back to front again around post of st indicated, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops again.

NOTES: Occasionally stitches get lost under corner stitches and the fpdc and fptr. You

will need to push those stitches aside in order to get to that stitch.

**Rounds 7 & 11 ea have an extra dc on one side of the corner, this is not a typo.

Pattern:

Ch 4, join with sl st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, (3 dc, ch 2) three more times in center of ring, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (12dc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, *dc in next 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, rep from * 3 times, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (28 dc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, dc in next dc, *fpdc around next dc, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next dc, rep from * 3 times, fpdc around next dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (36 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 4: Skip next 2 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working “behind” fptr just made, dc in joining st and next 2 dc, working “over” fptr, fptr around fpdc on this same side of square (this makes the cross over part of the ribbon), dc in next 3 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, dc in next 3 dc, skip next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in 3 dc just skipped, working over fptr, fptr around fpdc just skipped, dc in last 3 dc, rep from * 2 times, then (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 3 dc, join with sl st to fptr. (42 dc, 8 fptr, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 5: Ch 1 *fpdc around fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next fptr, dc in nest 5 dc, (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 5 dc, rep from * 3 more times, join with sl st to fpdc. (68 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 6: Ch 1, *sk fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr around fpdc just skipped, sk next dc, fptr around next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc, dc in next 7 dc, (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 7 dc, rep from * 3 more times, join with sl st to top of first dc. (84 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 7: ***(8” square option): Ch 3, dc in next dc, fpdc around both fpdc from previous rnd. (this closes the top of the ribbon), dc in next 10 dc, (3dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp,*dc in next 11 dc, fpdc around both fpdc from previous rnd, dc in next 10 dc, (3dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, rep from * three times, dc in next 9 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Finish off. (104 dc, 4 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 7 ***(12” square option): Ch 3, dc in next dc, * fpdc around both fpdc from previous rnd together ( this closes the top of the ribbon), dc in next 4 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 2 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next dc, ** dc in next 4 dc, rep from * three times ending at ** dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3.

(88 dc, 16 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 8: Ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, sk next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working around fptr just made, dc in 3 dc that were skipped, working over fptr, fptr in skipped fpdc, dc in next 4 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 4 dc, sk next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in 3 dc that were skipped, working over fptr, fptr in skipped fpdc,** dc in next 9 dc, sk next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in 3 dc that were skipped, working over fptr, fptr in skipped fpdc, dc in next 4 dc, rep from * 3 times ending at ** , dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (108 dc, 16 fptr, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 9: Ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, fpdc around fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next fptr, dc in next 6 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, *dc in next 6 dc, fpdc in next fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc in next fptr,** dc in next 9 dc, fpdc in next fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc in next fprt, dc in next 6 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, rep from * 3 times ending at **, dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (124 dc, 16 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 10: Ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, sk next fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr in fpdc that was skipped, sk next dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc, dc in next 8 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, * dc in next 8 dc, sk next fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr in fpdc just skipped , sk next dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc,** dc in next 9 dc, sk next fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr in fpdc just skipped, sk next dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc, dc in next 8 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, rep from * 3 times ending at **, dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (140 dc, 16 fptr, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 11: Ch 3, dc in next 8 dc, fpdc next two fptr together (this closes the ribbon), dc in next 11 dc, * (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 12 dc, fpdc next two fptr together, ** dc in next 12 dc, fpdc next two fptr together, dc in next 11 dc, rep from * 3 times ending at **, dc in last 3 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Finish off. (160 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or if you need clarification on any of the stitches.

Can you please help me I saw an afghan that was crocheted. It was called a Dresden Plate. Does anyone know where I might find this pattern?

Thank,

Kay

• 3 weeks later...

Archived