Awareness Ribbon Square 8" or 12"

carovan

AwarenessRibbonSquare.jpg

Awareness Ribbon 8”or 12” square

Original Pattern by Carolyn VanOstran

I made this pattern when I was looking for a square to make for a comfortghan and couldn’t find what I was looking for. You may use this pattern as much as you like, but please don’t sell the pattern.

Skill Level—Intermediate

Hook size—H/8—5.0mm

Gauge -- 7 dc and 4 rows = 2" x 2"

Yarn—Size 4 – worsted weight, like RH SuperSaver

Stitches Used:

DC—Yo, insert hook into stitch indicated and pull up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops again.

Fpdc—Yo, insert hook from front to back to front again around post of st indicated, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops again.

Fptr—Yo 2 times, insert hook from front to back to front again around post of st indicated, yo, draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops on hook, yo and draw through 2 loops again.

NOTES: Occasionally stitches get lost under corner stitches and the fpdc and fptr. You

will need to push those stitches aside in order to get to that stitch.

**Rounds 7 & 11 ea have an extra dc on one side of the corner, this is not a typo.

Pattern:

Ch 4, join with sl st to form a ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, (3 dc, ch 2) three more times in center of ring, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (12dc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, *dc in next 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, rep from * 3 times, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (28 dc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 3: Ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, dc in next dc, *fpdc around next dc, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next dc, rep from * 3 times, fpdc around next dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (36 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 4: Skip next 2 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working “behind” fptr just made, dc in joining st and next 2 dc, working “over” fptr, fptr around fpdc on this same side of square (this makes the cross over part of the ribbon), dc in next 3 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, dc in next 3 dc, skip next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in 3 dc just skipped, working over fptr, fptr around fpdc just skipped, dc in last 3 dc, rep from * 2 times, then (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 3 dc, join with sl st to fptr. (42 dc, 8 fptr, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 5: Ch 1 *fpdc around fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next fptr, dc in nest 5 dc, (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 5 dc, rep from * 3 more times, join with sl st to fpdc. (68 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 6: Ch 1, *sk fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr around fpdc just skipped, sk next dc, fptr around next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc, dc in next 7 dc, (2dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 7 dc, rep from * 3 more times, join with sl st to top of first dc. (84 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 7: ***(8” square option): Ch 3, dc in next dc, fpdc around both fpdc from previous rnd. (this closes the top of the ribbon), dc in next 10 dc, (3dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp,*dc in next 11 dc, fpdc around both fpdc from previous rnd, dc in next 10 dc, (3dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, rep from * three times, dc in next 9 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Finish off. (104 dc, 4 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 7 ***(12” square option): Ch 3, dc in next dc, * fpdc around both fpdc from previous rnd together ( this closes the top of the ribbon), dc in next 4 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next dc, (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 2 dc, fpdc around next dc, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next dc, ** dc in next 4 dc, rep from * three times ending at ** dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3.

(88 dc, 16 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 8: Ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, sk next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working around fptr just made, dc in 3 dc that were skipped, working over fptr, fptr in skipped fpdc, dc in next 4 dc, *(2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 4 dc, sk next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr around next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in 3 dc that were skipped, working over fptr, fptr in skipped fpdc,** dc in next 9 dc, sk next fpdc and next 3 dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in 3 dc that were skipped, working over fptr, fptr in skipped fpdc, dc in next 4 dc, rep from * 3 times ending at ** , dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (108 dc, 16 fptr, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 9: Ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, fpdc around fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc around next fptr, dc in next 6 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, *dc in next 6 dc, fpdc in next fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc in next fptr,** dc in next 9 dc, fpdc in next fptr, dc in next 3 dc, fpdc in next fprt, dc in next 6 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, rep from * 3 times ending at **, dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (124 dc, 16 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 10: Ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, sk next fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr in fpdc that was skipped, sk next dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc, dc in next 8 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, * dc in next 8 dc, sk next fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr in fpdc just skipped , sk next dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc,** dc in next 9 dc, sk next fpdc, dc in next 2 dc, fptr in fpdc just skipped, sk next dc, fptr in next fpdc, working behind fptr just made, dc in skipped dc, dc in next 8 dc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, rep from * 3 times ending at **, dc in next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. (140 dc, 16 fptr, 4 ch-2 sps)

Rnd 11: Ch 3, dc in next 8 dc, fpdc next two fptr together (this closes the ribbon), dc in next 11 dc, * (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp, dc in next 12 dc, fpdc next two fptr together, ** dc in next 12 dc, fpdc next two fptr together, dc in next 11 dc, rep from * 3 times ending at **, dc in last 3 dc, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Finish off. (160 dc, 8 fpdc, 4 ch-2 sps)

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or if you need clarification on any of the stitches.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is gorgeous I have been looking for ribbon patterns. Our Relay for

Life team does fundraisers and sometimes crafters donate something to be raffled off. I found a couple patterns on line but they were all either written wierd or were in pdf's that would not open. Thanks for sharing. NiYa :yarn

Ok I tried it out :hookalthough I used sport weight yarn so mine is only 6.5 inches square but here it is. I had difficulty in round 4 because I did not put the second fptr in the rigt place I kept looking at it and thinking that it looked funny.It was not until I got to the end of the row and looked at everything together that I realized that when you said same side you meant the last fpdc from the previous row. I had put both of them around the same stitch :eek oops The ribbons did not show up very well with the flash on I took one withut the flash..

th_PICT0065.jpg

th_PICT0063.jpg

NiYa :yarn

Ok I tried it out :hookalthough I used sport weight yarn so mine is only 6.5 inches square but here it is. I had difficulty in round 4 because I did not put the second fptr in the rigt place I kept looking at it and thinking that it looked funny.It was not until I got to the end of the row and looked at everything together that I realized that when you said same side you meant the last fpdc from the previous row. I had put both of them around the same stitch :eek oops The ribbons did not show up very well with the flash on I took one withut the flash..

th_PICT0065.jpg

th_PICT0063.jpg

NiYa :yarn

It looks great. :cheer:clap:cheer I wondered in Rnd 4 might be a problem since you have to go back to the previous rnd to pick up that stitch. Although the directions look complicated, it really is a fairly easy pattern to make.

This is a really pretty square. I think I will make it into a dishcloth for a breast cancer survivor I am friends with in another crafting group. Thanks for sharing!! :manyheart

A dishcloth is a great idea!!!

Carolyn, thank you so much for sharing this! It is perfect! Would you be able to measure a gauge for me. There are lots of really pretty 12" square patterns on CPC but most of them only list a hook size and no gauge. I tended to need to go up 2-3 hook sizes, but didn't realize that until I was almost finished.:( So sweet of you to share your awesome design with us, and for FREE no less!:manyheart:hug

Carolyn, thank you so much for sharing this! It is perfect! Would you be able to measure a gauge for me. There are lots of really pretty 12" square patterns on CPC but most of them only list a hook size and no gauge. I tended to need to go up 2-3 hook sizes, but didn't realize that until I was almost finished.:( So sweet of you to share your awesome design with us, and for FREE no less!:manyheart:hug

My gauge is 7dc and 4 rows = 2" x 2"

:)

I'll add it to the pattern too.

Archived