marikamum

Noah's Ark Baby Blanket/Activity Pram Cover

Hi all,

This is my version of the Noah's Ark Baby Blanket from the May 2008 issue of Crochet! Magazine. I envisioned it being used to cover up the baby in the pram/stroller so I made it with a variety of interesting textured yarns for a sensory activity sort of approach.

Photobucket is not behaving for me, so I only have the one picture at the moment. I'll try to have my husband work out the troubleshooting guide tonight to make a slideshow with some detail shots.

th_DSC04126.jpg

(click for slideshow with detail pics)

The main blanket was done with Paton's Smoothie DK (acrylic), the main part of the ark and house and roof were as well. The turtle's extremeties and the door and the giraffe's pink were done in Coton-A (a cotton acrylic blend). The yellow features were a highly textured yellow yarn that was in the LYS clearance bin. The orange (fish and giraffe antlers) were done in Paton's Powder Puff - a very fluffy yarn (maybe like Wendy?)... The elephant was done in a knobbly grey-purple boucle that I got from the variety shop/dollar shop (a bit shabby in places, but I loved the result), the bird body was done in dark purple cupcake (another thick, smooth, almost spongy when crocheted acrylic) and the wings and tail were done in a fun fur/feathers yarn.

For the most part, I crocheted the base blanket, then assembled each applique, then attached the completed appliques to the blanket and finished by embroidering the beak to the bird once on the blanket. (For those who wondered :)...)

Cheers,

Edited by marikamum
changed photo to rotated version, added slideshow

WOW that is a fabulous afghan

It looks fabulous and so soft. :manyheart I have that issue of Crochet and need to make one of those too.

Very nice work! Any little one would love the various textures! Great job.

beautiful

Very pretty, love that you used the textured yarns, great idea.

Its looks great. I just started this one last night. Hope mine comes out as nice as yours.

Such a wonderful blanket. Be proud of your efforts!

What a great blanket! I love the different yarns and textures. That orange fish looks all soft and plush.

Thanks for the textured idea. kids will love touching it...I am in the middle of making mine now and will steal your idea...tks for sharing.:manyheart It is really beautiful.

that is precious.

Thanks everyone :c9

What a great blanket! I love the different yarns and textures. That orange fish looks all soft and plush.

I think he is my favourite :yes

Cheers,

That is so cute !!! Thanks for sharing !!!

Very pretty and the different textures are a great idea for baby or toddler.

Thanks all.

Re: the textures :)

It is amazing what happens when you have to substitute yarns, isn't it? I really loved how the blanket looked in the sample, so if I had been in the States with relatively easy access to the called for yarns, I probably would have made it straight with those. Since I wasn't and had to substitute anyway... the gears started turning inside the brain :think

:) Lemons to lemonade, I guess :)

Cheers,

Hi Marika,

No, I'm not stalking you! :lurk You just keep making nice things and I keep finding them. I love the textures. Forget the lemonade.... Where there's a will (and a lot of creative talent), there's a way.

Happy crocheting,

Hi Marika,

No, I'm not stalking you! :lurk You just keep making nice things and I keep finding them. I love the textures. Forget the lemonade.... Where there's a will (and a lot of creative talent), there's a way.

Happy crocheting,

Awwww :blush, you're so sweet, Nancy :c9