xxxsmall chihuahua sweaters

jujubeanboutique

Question

I just adopted a 9 week old chihuahua today! She is soooooooooo cute! But she's so tiny and needs a sweater. I'm having a hard time finding sweater patterns small enough. Does anyone have any super small sweater patterns?

here's a picture of Bella

DSC02566.jpg

DSC02565.jpg

my sister has a teacup chihuaha (molly) she would benefit from a sweater too. These dogs are very needy (just a warning) but you can train them. My sisters dog peas on a pee pad and loves to go shopping

i dont have any help with the sweater - i made one for my sd little furbaby but i just winged it and tried it on alot. sorry

BUT i just wanted to say that is just too cute for words!! i am getting dd a dog the 1st of the month and am hoping for a chi or a pom!! wish me luck!! give her hugs and kisses from me - oh how i miss having a dog!!

she is spoiled a bit either is she? LOL!!

I have a little half & half ...half chihuahua/half pomeranian. She is 10 months old and weighs 2.8 lbs. During the winter, I had a nice "coat" from the store but she wiggled out of it. Ditto on the sweater. Until I put the sweater under the coat! Then she was stuck LOL. Good Luck with the potty training! We use pads and a cat box...she would be a snack for a neighborhood dog otherwise!

Deb

She's not a teacup, she's a toy. Her parents are both toys. She's doing very well with the potty so far. I just take her outside the second she wakes up and keep saying go potty and after a few seconds she does and she gets a treat. :) She is just too cute for words!

here's a comparison picture next to my cat. :lol:

DSC02590.jpg

Anyways, I will look for some ferret clothes. I think I might take a try at making her something too. so far we just carry her in blankets but when she goes potty, she gets chilly.

When my little chi was a baby I just modified a sock to fit her like a coat. I did make her one small sweater by winging it but because she was still growing she didn't wear it too much.

604690552_d6105759e1.jpg?v=0

You can also use the sleeve of a child/baby sweat shirt. Just use the cuff part to go around the neck and cut some leg holes in it you can make it any length. The thrift store is a good place to get the sweat shirts.

I don't have any patterns to help you out but wanted to say how lucky you are!!! Chihuahua's are wonderful pets!!

I had a short haired one for many years and now my dh and I have 2 short hair ones and they are so lovable!!!

I hope you enjoy many many years with them...they are so loyal and lovable!

Cute Puppy! MIL has a tan one that is supposed to be a teacup...he is except for his legs being really long. I think I am going to make the crochetnmore sweater for him. Maybe do one in red and white for christmas and then another for every day. He only weighs about three pounds and has really long ears. His name is Poco, but we laughingly call him Dobby ( the house elf from Harry Potter) because when he stands his ears up he looks alot like him with the big eyes and the bat like ears. The others in his litter all turned out "perfect" I guess but I think he is sooo adorable. Maybe I can manage a Santa Hat to go with the red and white one!

I havent ever researched a dog i wanted. However, I usually get my dogs from the humane society or animal shelter. I do this because it breaks my heart to know that they will be put to sleep. I believe they know you saved their life and seem to be greatful for that. I have had some with medical problems etc and take them to the vet and get them treated and do what I must to make sure they are happy and healthy, just as I would a human child. I have always wanted a pom or a chi because I like smaller dogs, they will be primarily inside dogs and i have pretty much always lived in a small house or trailer. I have had a pom/terrier and a chi/terrier and they both lived very long lifes and were spoiled rotten. If I ever did buy a purebred I would probably research the breeder to be sure they were reputable and that they were not a puppy mill or treated the dogs inhumanely. Even though I have never researched a dog, all of my dogs have always had regular vet visits and whatever treatment they might need, and are very loved and spoiled. Nothing against researching, just wanted to say that even though I didnt/havent, the animals were loved and well cared for and will continue to be.

I have to say that I dont agree with breeding dogs to make them tiny (or whatever the other traits the breeder wants them to have) if it means the dog will have problems or suffer. (if the breeding is what caused all the extra problems) I'm not sure that made sense. I do know that smaller dogs have a greater tendancy to have broken bones etc and you have to be extra careful them!!

My dd dad was raised on a farm and all animals were just that animals and stayed outside. I dont look at it that way - animals are part of the family and should be treated as such. It makes me mad as a hornet and oh so sad when i see animals that have been abused or neglected. If I ever won the lottery, I would have a very large place that I could foster animals and take care of them until a VERY loving home could be found.

I guess I am just rambling but just wanted to say that even though I am not that knowledgeable (research wise) I have always put my pets needs at the top of the list and gave them a wonderful home and lots of love :)

You can get the little bear sweaters from Michaels they should fit :) Your puppy is so cute :manyheart All chis are in the toy group so yes they're all toys & teacup is a name that people use to describe smaller chis BUT I hate that term & any really good reputable breeder won't use that term. Sorry but I love chi's I have 5 & I'm very passionate about the subject.

Cute Puppy! MIL has a tan one that is supposed to be a teacup...he is except for his legs being really long. I think I am going to make the crochetnmore sweater for him. Maybe do one in red and white for christmas and then another for every day. He only weighs about three pounds and has really long ears. His name is Poco

My oldest males chi's named Poco :) I actually have a toy pattern I named for him on my blog.

Angie that's so good :hug The thing is when breeders use the term & typically sell the so called teacups for more $ the people expect the pup to stay tiny but there's really no way to gaurantee something like that. Then who knows what they'll end up doing with the dog after it gets too big :angry

I love chis. My someday list includes adopting one, but right now I wouldn't be able to give one the time and attention that I know they need. So I'll just have to keep admiring everyone elses. Thanks for sharing your pics she is super cute!! I've made a couple chi sweaters, just by looking at my friends dog and working it out. You can do it, but I have also heard that a cut up sock will work pretty good while they are growing.

The AKC standard is they should be between 2 and 6 pounds.

Teacup is not a breed of chi's it is a discription. Like saying that is a black and tank Chi. It is not the breed but how it looks. Did that make since?

I have found that the ones under 3 pounds are not as healthy as the bigger ones. So I am hoping yours is closer to four pounds. They also seem to live longer if they are about that size.

Also be ready for lots of teeth issues. The smaller the dog it seems the more trouble they have with their teeth. Or at least that has been true for me with my Chi's. If you can teach your puppy to let you brush it's teeth 3 times a week that would help you out with vet bills later.

I still have two. Two long haired males (four pounds and three pounds) and two short haired females.(four and half pounds and almost three pounds.) I use to breed and show chi's.

Would love to see your sweeters when they are done. I need to make my Daisy(almost three pounds) a couple new ones for this winter.

Thanks...I don't know much about the toy/teacup side of dogs. I just repeated basically what Mark's mom said. She got the dog from the first owner. they were told something to the effect of they were 'bred" to be small, but there was no actual guarantee that they would all be the intended size etc. He is very small, but unlike his brothers and sisters, he has long legs and kind of big ears. He is very cute.

He seems to stay very skinny, even though he eats. And he seems to always be cold, so I told her I would try to make him a sweater or two. The only dogs I have ever had were a chocolate lab and a beagle hound mix so small dogs are a total mystery to me. His mom was also told that Poco was the last dog to find a home because he looked different, but I think he is a doll and very very sweet natured and loving. Fantastic with all children.

I so agree Alisha. I hate the use of that term so much that when I had puppies in need of good homes if they said they wanted a teacup I would not let them adopt one of my puppies.

When i read this I was extremely sad. I didnt know that teacup was a bad word, as i am sure others dont. I have heard that term all of my life, most commonly referring to poodles. I know that if i had come there asking for a 'teacup' chi I would not have meant ANY harm, in fact, had you sent one home with me it would be EXTREMELY well taken care of, spoiled and loved oh so much. I am sure there are people out there that would dump the dog or whatever if i got bigger than expected but I would NOT. It would be a part of my family no matter if it got bigger than expected or not. So, I have to wonder how many REALLY good homes were passed up because of this and how many awful homes they went to just because they used the right term. I am not meaning to start any problems just wanted to say that i am among the unknowing that the term is bad but am a complete dog lover through and through!!

Here's to all the dogs of the world that need a good loving home:hug

More than likely a breeder would explain why the term is negative. I think the point is to do your research on the breed before you buy. Like someone else said lots of the chis being sold as teacups have health issues not to mention how easily they can get hurt or become hypoglycemic :(

Yep do your research before you get any pet.

Big ears long legs is the old style chi. They also tend to have longer heads not apple style. This is referred to as the deer type.

One of my males is like that and he has the least amount of teeth issues. But he could not be shown.

The belief is the longer muzzle gives more room for the teeth and so they have less issues then the apples heads.

Chi's shake. That is what they do. Does not mean it is cold. Not all of them shake like that. I only have one that does and the only way I can tell for sure if she is cold it to feel of her ears.

They also love to be under the covers. Even in the summer time mine like to snuggle under blankets and stuff.

Archived