First sewed item!

Schmetterling

You may know my husband recently bought me a sewing machine. I have NO experience sewing whatsoever so it's been a challenge to figure out everything on the machine.

Yesterday my 7 year old grabbed a fat quarter that I bought to practice stitches on, wanting make to make a shirt for his Build-A-Bear (his sister has a t-shirt for hers so he wanted one too of course). The thread doesn't match but I just have white right now while waiting for a few other colors to come in the mail.

It's not much but it's the very first thing I've ever done. :)

CollinTeddySewing.jpg

WTG I only use my machine for mending and sewing patches on uniforms for kids etc.

Good luck, My machine and I are not friends, I crochet or knit I make the mistake, but when I use a sewing machine I can blame the mistakes on it goofing up!!!

Congratulations on your bear shirt I can see he is very proud!

Wow, you did a great job.:cheer Did you use a pattern? I have been sewing for years and still hesitate to make anything without a pattern.

I can see you're not going to have any trouble learning to sew.

Tote bags are pretty easy to make, even without a pattern, and we can never have too many of those, right? :devil (I say this because I am a confirmed totebag-a-holic, if there is such a thing. LOL.

Thanks so much everyone! You're all so kind!

No, I didn't have a pattern. Dear Fran sent several lovely notions & amazing patterns for little girl clothes and purses--my Meg is all over me to make every single option shown LOL--and I opened them all up and felt an instant sense of panic!

My kids are home from school today, it's a teacher work day now that school is in session a couple weeks and they need to do some refiguring, but when they go back tomorrow I will have the quiet needed to sit and spread out a real pattern, and go step by step using the great sewing book from my Fairy Godmother!

:)

Archived