Wrong side/ Right side

kalmond7

Question

When the pattern says end with (WS) is that when you are going from right to left?

And when it says end with (RS) does that mean your going left to right?

That may help me figure out why I think my pattern isn't looking so hot!

9 answers to this question

Does your pattern at some point say that a certain row is considered the "right" and "wrong" side? Usually that will be near the beginning of the pattern.

Generally the "right" side is the side that was facing you as you were working it. If you work in the round you will have one side of the finished piece that is all the "right" side. But if you are turning your work on every row then you have alternating rows of "right" and "wrong".

Are you right or left-handed? As a right-hander I am always working from right to left. When I turn my work I am working back across what I just made, but I am still going from right to left. If I were to crochet from left to right I would be doing something like "reverse single crochet" stitch which is used for an edging and as I understand it forms an edge that you can't crochet into (have never mastered that stitch myself :P )

The pattern will usually tell you which is the right/wrong side side. The best thing to do is, when they tell you, to put a stitch marker on the right side so you can tell later. Doesn't have to be a fancy marker, I use bobby pins, you could use a short piece of yarn. :hook

:cheerIf you are right handed, when the right side is facing you, the tail from the start will be on the left end of the row.

The first row is normally the right side facing and is an odd numbered row.

If the pattern says to finish with a WS row, you will normally finish with an even numbered row then when you turn your work, the right side will be facing you.

Sometimes it does not matter but other times it does.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Also just another note on this. If you are a leftie then the wrong side of the work (if turning and making a garment) will actually be your right side for connecting purposes. I am a leftie and my clothing that I make I always have to switch the sides to make it line up right.

I know confusing stuff and I hope that I haven't confused you more. :( So if you are a righty just disregard this reply to your post. :)

When all is said and done, your finished item will have a Right Side ~ the outside, front side or side facing you. Also the Wrong Side ~ the inside, backside or side facing away from you.

Generally, it is stated early in a pattern to mark a certain row as the RS or WS so you can keep track, because it will be an odd or even row.

If it is not stated in the pattern, it is assumed the first row is the Right Side, so mark the first row. This means mark the first row of stitches you do, not the starting chain.

So, you will now know that the odd rows are the Right Side when you are finished.

Thank you so much for your help I think that I understand it now. Only problem is that I am a lefty but I crochet righthanded and in the way a righthanded person "crochets" so i need to think and show my patterns that way, right?

If you hold the hook in your right hand then you should be working from right to left. In that case you would use instructions for the right-handed (how most things are written).

Also, if you do start a project with a chainless foundation row, then your beginning tail will be on the right-hand side of the "right" side of the work, assuming the first row is a "right" side row.

I think it is Maggie Righetti in one of her books who started using the terms "public side" and "private side" to describe the two faces of the fabric. That is a clearer way to say it in a lot of cases ;)

Archived