Advice for a novice

crochetstepmom

I bought a large lot of crochet supplies from a woman on craigslist yesterday. After I sorted it all, there were 3 bags of thread. Some of it is old, some new, some partially used, and some still in the original packaging. Most of it is size 10, but there is some size 20. I had originally thought that I would sell or trade the thread (and I still might,) but after seeing all of it...I don't know...it's sooooo pretty! I thought that before I decided, I should at least try it!!!!

So, I've never used thread before. The smallest hook I have ever used was a D. My grandmother crocheted with both thread and yarn, and I always suspected that thread was her favorite. It would be nice to honor her memory by learning.

I do have two of her steel hooks (a 4 and a 12) and several pattern books and magazines. Many of the patterns that she had are very advanced, as was she. I don't want to start off with something so ambitious.

I'm a little overwhelmed and nervous, so I thought that I would ask the experts. What's a good basic way to start? What's a good basic project with a simple pattern? I assume that a 7 hook is the best to use with this thread (that's the suggested hook on most of the thread labels.) Do you have any other suggestions ?

Thanks very much!

A crochet stitch is a crochet stitch in yarn or in thread. :yes The only difference is the size of material you are working with.

If you are just starting out I would definately recommend using the size 10 with a size 7 hook. The main thing with thread is the tension.

You will just have to work with the thread till you get a "feel" for the tension you are comfortable with and the stitches are even.

Don't be intimidated!!!:hook I learned to crochet with thread and had a terrible time of it when I tried to make something with yarn. For me it was almost impossible to see the individual stitches with the yarn. The stitches are much more defined with thread. I have found that for me it is easier to know where to "put the hook" when using thread.

As far as patterns to begin with, you could start out with a bookmark, they are small and relatively simple. If you would like to make a doily, anything by Priscilla Hewitt is very simple and works up great. I have made alot of her stuff. This is a previous thread that lists alot of her patterns.

Good luck and let us all know how you make out,

Toni

I agree, a bookmark is a good place to start. :yes Not too intimidating. I've tried thread off and on and really, the stitches are exactly the same as they are with yarn. My main problem right now is my eyesight, which ain't gettin' any better with age. :lol I love any of Priscilla Hewitt's patterns. They're all beautiful, professionally written, and best of all, free! :clap

I also agree that bookmarks are great for learning to work with thread. Another thing you might want to try is a simple fliet crochet they are easy and you can find some free lessons on the Internet. One of my fav. filet sites is Hassdesign.com

Jeanut

I would definitely get a size 7 hook, and start with the size 10 thread. Size 20 thread might be too frustrating for you at first. Also, if you prefer a certain brand of hook try and get that same brand in the size 7. I prefer Susan Bates, but they can be hard to find.....it seems MOST people prefer Boye.

Yes, a crochet stitch is a crochet stitch, regardless of the material you use! I prefer to crochet with thread, personally, but also make things with yarn.

• 1 month later...

Just a note about hook sizes: the number doesn't really mean much unless you also look at the mm. size because Susan Bates and Boye are sized differently.

When I decided to do thread crochet again I was not aware of that. I tried finding just "a #7" but the store, which was having a close-out sale, didn't have any so I bought the sizes before and after. They are SB and I had no clue as to the difference, however, I think my favorite became the #6 which turns out to be almost the same as Boye's #7 :lol, (can't confirm because I misplaced it last night after working precisely on a bookmark).

My first venture into thread (most of my thread ventures for that matter) were/are with fashion doll clothes. I combined my love of the dolls with my love of the craft, thereby making it fun as I learned. You just have to jump on in and do it....:)

One other thing you might consider is taking a patten you've previously made in yarn and make that very same pattern in thread. Placemats and potholder or dishcloth patterns work well for this. That way you are familiar with the pattern and how it should look, but by making it in thread you will get a doily-sized item. This way the only "new" thing you're mastering is the thread, not the pattern, too. Good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy threadwork.

Archived