CGOA Chain Link 2008 Conference: Post Your Stories

Amy

Hi, everyone! I arrived at the Radisson hotel in Manchester, New Hampshire for CGOA's annual Chain Link conference earlier this afternoon. This is my first trip ever to Chain Link. I'm excited and looking forward to meeting so many people whose names I see in crochet publications and here at the 'Ville!

I'll be sharing some of my Chain Link experiences in this thread, and I hope those of you who are also here will post your thoughts and experiences in this thread, too.

Treva McCain, Mary Yates, and I were all on the same flight from Charlotte, NC to New Hampshire. I think Joyce Bragg was on our plane, too. The plane was packed to the gills, and we didn't have the opportunity to sit near each other. :angry

While waiting for the shuttle to take us to the hotel, we met up with some other people: Renee (my roommate), Tammy Hildebrand, and Tammy's friend Becky. The shuttle was stuffed full with all our luggage (which contained many crochet projects, so I heard).

After checking in, Renee and I unpacked, rested a few minutes, then headed downstairs to the hotel restaurant in search of some much-needed nourishment. We saw Treva, Mary, and Joyce, so we joined them for lunch. We had a great time getting to know each other!

We then headed back to the room for a short rest. Then Renee went for a walk around downtown Manchester, while Donna and I got some things accomplished here at Crochetville. Here's a picture Renee took of me while logged on to the 'Ville:

cgoa.jpg

When we headed down to the lobby to see what was happening around 5:30 or so, guess who we ran into outside? Our very own Crochet Dude!! We ended up with a group of people helping Drew set up the door prizes, handouts, and other goodies for Professional Development Day. Lion Brand yarn donated a goodie bag with yarn and a hook so we can all make squares for Heartmade Blessings. At least at this point in a long day, I think that's who the squares are going to be for. If I'm wrong, I'll post a correction at the end of the day tomorrow.

After we got the room all prepared, we headed over to JD's Tavern, the hotel restaurant, for dinner. There is no way I'm going to remember the names of everyone who helped prepare for PDD plus those who joined us for dinner, but I'll give it a try: Marty Miller, Doris Chan, Kim Guzman, Jenny King, Dee Stanziano (CrochetwithDee), Margaret Hubert, Jean Leinhauser, Rita Weiss, Treva McCain, and many more. There must have been close to 25 people there. If I left your name out, please post and say you were there!

Well, it's getting late, so I'm going to call it a night so I'll be prepared to give my talk at PDD tomorrow!

I would like to say this is a not happening report. I headed out for the conference which is just over an hour away. When car trouble. As I turned around and headed for home I prayed to get there before my car quit and I did just after entering the driveway. So I can say , I got no goody bag, no lunch and to meet Amy and no attending the professional day. The day cost me money for the conference and now I have car repair to look forward too. I hope you are all having a great time and have some fun for me because I will lament again I got nothing and missed out on all I should have gotten. Most of all I was looking forward to a learning experience and some fun!!!!! :(

Ack! Math Wizard, I feel bad for you.:yell

I'm looking forward to these posts. I was there last year, and had a blast. I was going to go this year...however we had a lot happen this year already, and as a result, I didn't get to go.

If it's closer to Cincinnati next year, I may go. And if the West Coast convention is near the Bay Area, I might go. My daughter landed a job in the Bay Area, although she probably actually get to California until the beginning of next year.

Hey everyone...things are really hopping here at Chain Link! This is my first year, and I have to say that it is everything I had hoped for and more! I have met some crochet "legends" like Rita Weiss, Jean Lienhauser, Lily Chin, Doris Chang, Drew Emborsky, Vashti Braha and more...and more...and more!!! There are alot of friendly folks here who have been so warm and willing to share their extensive knowledge and experience today during PDD. Thanks to all of you and I can't wait to see what tomorrow holds! The awards will be given for the design contest, and I can't wait to see if I won anything! Woo Hoo!!! :clap:cheer

I've just finished packing and will be heading to NH tomorrow. I can't wait!! :clap It sounds like everyone is having a lot of fun...

Thank you for starting this thread. I am unable to attend in person this year after registering, so a friend is picking up my commemorative hook, which I hope to get in August when we have our monthly Chapter meeting.

The one thing I missed the year I went was a room set aside to just walk in and sit and crochet. I had decided if they didn't provide such a room that I would make my hotel room available for that. But I think they went ahead and provided one -- did they?

new things.

But I think they went ahead and provided one -- did they?

new things.

Yes, Mary Pat, there is a whole big area outside of some of the conference rooms. Tahki Stacy Charles was nice enough to provide this for us! I for one, have not used it much as I have been busy with classes and such, but today might have a chance. For those of you who are coming this weekend, too bad that you won't get a chance to meet Amy S as she has to leave for home. She has been my "roomie" since Tuesday night and it has been wonderful getting to know her! She also gave a very nice presentation on the 'ville Wednesday at Professional Development Day. I highly recommend that if you are interested in becoming a crochet pro, you attend this conference. Another thing that has been mentioned over and over again is the TNNA (The National Needlework Association) conference. Will have to find out more about that.

I've just finished packing and will be heading to NH tomorrow. I can't wait!! :clap It sounds like everyone is having a lot of fun...

I got to meet Jen standing in the long line with about a bazillion frantic new-yarn-deprived crochet fanatics waiting for the Market Street Preview (vendor area) to open last night! The Market Street Preview was amazing!

There was so much yummy yarn all over the place. Bad news: my camera is in the process of dying (won't take pictures), so I don't have any pictures of this area. Renee, Jen, everybody else who is there with a camera, please, please take a ton of pictures of market place, classes, everybody hanging out at dinner time, break time, any other time, and post them here!

Everybody definitely needs to see photos from the vendor area, though. That alone will make you want to attend next year!

I bought two skeins of Tess's Designer Fibers microfiber ribbon yarn in a yummy shade of hand-dyed turquoise. This yarn feels so incredible and wonderful! Tess also had some Cashmere Silk that I almost bought, but I held back since it was $60 (but that WAS for 600+ yards of it!). They had two gorgeous shades of pink. I loved them both, but I think I preferred the slightly darker pink.

The one thing I missed the year I went was a room set aside to just walk in and sit and crochet. I had decided if they didn't provide such a room that I would make my hotel room available for that. But I think they went ahead and provided one -- did they?

new things.

People were using the lobby for this, but it definitely wasn't big enough. They have set up a knit and crochet area outside the main ballrooom area with quite a few round tables and chairs so people can gather for chat and stitch sessions when they aren't in class.

It's been raining cats and dogs all week long, but the good news for everyone else is that today is a bright sunshiny day. Of course, it's bad news for me since I'm flying home today. In fact, I'm sitting in the Manchester airport as I'm typing this, waiting for the first leg of my flight. Boarding is supposed to start in about 15 minutes or so.

So I'll have to stop and put away the laptop pretty soon. But I've got almost a 3 hour layover in Washington, DC, so I'll be able to give y'all some more juicy details then if I don't get them all typed in now!

Guess what Renee and I got to do last night? We got to hang out in DORIS CHAN and JENNY KING's hotel room, having wine and Bailey's caramel liqueur with them, discussing yarn, beads, crochet, and all sorts of other fibery goodness.

Just in case some of you have been living under a huge rock for the past few years, here is just a teeny tiny little bit of what Doris is known for:

Amazing Crochet Lace book

Everyday Crochet book

Circle Jacket pattern by Caron

One thing I didn't even realize until I was at Chain Link is how many patterns of Doris's I love and have made for myself. Yesterday I was wearing the topper pattern from her Amazing Crochet Lace book made in Lion Brand Incredible Yarn and the Raspberry something or other skirt from that same book. (Patterns didn't go together in the book, but they made a striking outfit together. Somebody even stopped and asked if they could take a picture of me wearing the outfit!) Tuesday, arrival day, I was wearing Doris's Bell Sleeve Pullover pattern from a Tahki Stacy Charles spring crochet booklet from a couple years ago. Not to mention, I have the Circle Jacket hanging in my closet, but just didn't bring it along for this trip. I think I have even more Doris patterns on my projects-to-be-made list!

And if you don't know Jenny, she's a very well-known designer and teacher from Australia. You can check out her website here. Jenny is an absolute delight, and she taught us some interesting Australian lingo: drongo and twee. Anybody got a clue??? :D

Doris was working on a beautiful new project in Caron's new Spa yarn, this beautiful soft blue color. I was commenting on the project and the yarn, and she gave me some of her extra, with the yarn band! I was so excited that Doris offered to share her yarn with me. When Renee and I got back to our room, I was jumping around all excited, saying: "DORIS CHAN gave me yarn! Doris Chan gave ME yarn! Doris Chan gave me YARN!" This is yarn from a crochet celebrity!!!! I may have to build a little shrine for it----I'm not certain I can ever play with it!

Breakfast this morning: I had breakfast with Jennifer Hansen, otherwise known as The Stitch Diva. Check out her gorgeous patterns! Myra Wood was also at our breakfast table. Check out her new book Creative Crochet Lace, all about free form wearable fiber and bead art on her website. There will be a review of this book coming soon here on Crochetville. It's beautiful!!!! I've never done freeform before, but I have a feeling I'll be doing a ton of it after reading this book and seeing some of her and Margaret Hubert's work here at Chain Link.

I also got a great big hug from Margaret as I was leaving the hotel this morning, plus a big hug from the Dude. It was so sad to have to walk away and leave everyone.

Oh, and I was a guest on two podcasts last night, but I'll have to tell you more about that later. It's time to put the laptop away.

Hey, I forgot to mention that I also met JenC; got to eat breakfast with her and Margaret Hubert as well as another friend of theirs, who could not remember her crochetville user name...all super nice folks! Enjoyed having breakfast with ya'll!!!

Didn't get to go, but I sent some hooks as representatives. Hope they behaved.

I'm hoping to be at the event in Portland Ore come September.

I think that is the one my old boss invited me to go to with her. I had to tell her I couldn't go (money issue) but I so wish I could have said yes. I would love to be in a building with a whole bunch of people who are all passionate about the same thing I am.

As it is right now, crochetville is the only contact I have with other crocheters.

Have fun at the conference!!

Julee

Yes, Jimbo, your hooks were very well received! I, unfortunately, did not win one, but several of them were given away at professional development day, and each time the Dude held one up to show it there were lots of "ooooohhhhsss" and "aaaahhhhhs"

Those hooks were used as door prizes on Professional Development Day. Just as Drew assured you they would, everyone was squealing and screaming! I think some people may have even been trying to bribe Drew into calling their number whenever one of your hooks popped up. Except for me, of course [cough, cough]. :D

Jimbo's hooks were absolutely gorgeous as usual. Those of us who helped set up for PDD on Tuesday night had a lot of fun seeing how those hooks felt in our hands!

Glad to hear the hooks behaved, Amy. Never know what that crick wood will do, specially in high class settings like CGOA Professional Development Day.

I'm sure you and the Dude wowed everyone. Would have loved to be there... I could certainly use some tips about how to develop professionally.

Hey all - one of my favorite stories was meeting Amy S live and in person! We had been communicating here on the 'ville but I had never met her. What a sweetie! And she looked very fetching in head to toe Doris Chan.

If you want to hear some of the Thursday night market preview madness check out the live remote episode of Getting Loopy! - Just click on the web site in my signature. Amy was kind enough to go on the air, as well as 17 other guests! It was almost as much fun as the market preview, but not quite.

The fashion show was great this year - and of course my own not so little one made her annual appearance. Did anyone get good pix? I wasn't close enough.

The fashion show was great this year - and of course my own not so little one made her annual appearance. Did anyone get good pix? I wasn't close enough.

Yes, please, anybody who was at Chain Link and has good pics, post them in this thread. We all want to see them!

If you don't have a place to store photos online so you can link to them from here, feel free to email them to me: amyshelton AT crochetville DOT org. I'll get them posted for all to share.

I just KNOW there have got to be some really good pics of lots of events floating around.

One of my favorite things of the conference was also meeting Mary Beth and attending her round-table breakout session at Professional Development Day.

Archived