tips on sewing a fabric to back of an afghan?

mescovedo

Question

Anyone have any links, tutorials, instructions, tip anything lol on how to sew a fabric to the back of an afghan? I'm working on a graphagan at the moment and plan on sewing a fleece backing to it but I'm not sure how to do it. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Melissa

5 answers to this question

I've never done it with a afghan, but the basic technique to line something is to cut a piece of fabric into a similar shape, but adding a quarter inch around all edges to be sewn.

Fold over 1/2" towards the wrong side of the fabric and iron in place. Now comes the decision part. You can either pin the fabric to the afghan, wrong side to wrong side and sew the lining inplace, a quarter inch clearance on the afghan; or you can use iron on fusing tape on the folded over hem and fuse in place.

I wouldn't recommend iron on fusing tape. For one thing, it only works (well) on lighter weight, smooth (tightly woven, not stretchy) fabrics, so not on fleece or a crocheted yarn afghan. Even if it did work, if your afghan is acrylic it will melt, and the high heat will squash the stitches of other fibers.

Consider that your afghan is going to stretch and your fabric isn't. You might be unhappy with the result. Also, fleece + crocheted afghan is going to be HEAVY.

If you must put a backing, fleece doesn't ravel like most fabrics, so you don't have to turn it under. You might try crocheting a simple sc edging around the fleece, then crocheting the fleece and afghan together and adding a fancier border if you want.

If you want to use fleece, I'd recommend using an edgery-doo to make a border around the fleece and then stitching the two together.

Here's a link for you:

EdgeryDoo site

I agree with Granny Square: it's going to be very warm so be sure you want something that heavy, and you should consider that the afghan may stretch with use. :scrachin

Archived