Gothic Cross Bookmarks

MimiFL

Here is a few cross bookmark I made recently. The pattern is called Fancy Crocheted Cross Bookmark and was designed by Cheri Mancini. I'd been looking for a nice, gothic cross and hadn't found any I liked until this one. I love the way this one's made, plus it's only two rows! Works up really quickly. I starched it very lightly (perhaps too lightly), using a spray stiffener, then ironed it a bit. Wasn't whole lot stiffer, and it's even less stiff now. Maybe I'll have to redo it. The tassels were graciously made by Sis (I hate doing tassels, so bribed her). So far I've made 4 of these, but I'm likely make many more. :candle

gothic_cross_bookmark.jpg

gothic_cross_bookmarks.jpg

Beautiful! :clap They look so intricate, what a bonus for a quick project! For plain white thread like this, try mixing white glue & water for stiffner. It makes it look a little dull, which isn't too noticeable with white thread, but it is the right amount of stiffness for bookmarks or snowflakes IMHO.

Well, let me see if I can explain this. :scrachin

I figured the gothic era (not 'goth' as it's meant nowadays - the original meaning of gothic as in 'gothic cathedral') is characterized by complex, very detailed, highly decorative designs. This one's got a pretty complex look to it, so it looked gothic to me. Plus, a lot of gothic crosses have that sort of triple picot at the end of each arm (like this one). I guess that made it gothic in my book. :)

The pattern calls it 'fancy Victorian'. Go figure. :wink

Archived