Squares needed for comfortghan-have 6 out of 25

Ninn

I don't know if I've been here long enough to make this request. Feel free to delete this post if I have not.

Last week, I got word from my mother that she was moving to Florida. She bought on house on Tuesday and moved on Sunday. What's the rush, you ask? My dad has cancer. The house they bought is just a few miles from the recommended treatment center. They have vacationed in the house several times, and were thrilled to find out it was up for sale.

They are getting settled, and Dad starts his chemo treatments next week. He is a stocky guy, but perpetually cold right now. I'd love to send him a comfortghan and some slippers. I've already started the slippers. I'd love some help getting the squares for the ghan together, though. I'm thinking 12" squares, about 12 of them. With the border, that should make a ghan big enough for him and mom to snuggle together under when he is at home, and thick enough when doubled to keep him warm during chemo.

I'm working in natural tones of tans, creams, greens, blues, etc. Colors that evoke nature. Make you think of the sea and the beach. Not bright and garish,not dark and forboding, just soft and wonderful. Colors to soothe the mind and ease the soul. His slippers are a lovely sea blue, so this should work out great. Sport weight yarn is probably my best option, as they are now in a warmer climate. Let's try to keep it all acrylic, to avoid shrinkage when laundering. Squares can be any pattern you choose, plain or fancy. Please be sure to include your contact information when you mail the squares, as my mom will be sure to send thank you cards out.

Can anyone help? Thank you so much.

Lona

I can help, let me pull out my stash. I know I have some shades of tan/brown and green and I think some blue too...somewhere!

You don't anything real dark...right? Like...Navy Blue or Hunter Green?

I'll PM to get your address.

Clara~

No, no darker colors. Try to think beach and sea tones. Soft and calming. I'm thinking sport weight yarn, as they are in Florida now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lona, I would like to recamend that you make this blanket 20 12" squares not 12. 12 is only going to make it a Lapghan, 36 X 48 not big enough for the two of them to get under:) Just my thoughts:)

I do not have any sport weight yarn here Do you think the Red Heart supersaver or Simply Soft will work for you?

Let me know and I will get a couple of squares made for you. Please send me your address also

Judy, that square is lovely. I like that pattern so much I may use it for my mom's table runner! Thanks so much for the help!

Clara, I got your squares today and they are just beautiful! I love the palm tree appliques on them. My dad will be thrilled.

HI

I wanted you to know that I will have two squares out to you by tomorrow. They are in the envelope just need to make the trip to the post office. I am working from home today so after work tomorrow I will stop. If you need any more please let me know.

TeaKayCee, Crafty Kitten and Segi1974, all your squares arrived today! Oh, my goodness, the variations in style, pattern and color are so lovely! Thank you so much ladies!

I'm so glad you received it and like it. :yay

cant wait to see the finished 'ghan.

:turtle:mug

TeaKayCee, Crafty Kitten and Segi1974, all your squares arrived today! Oh, my goodness, the variations in style, pattern and color are so lovely! Thank you so much ladies!

Did you want the pattern for the palm tree square? I found it online, it's for a 7'' square, I just added rounds to get it to 12".

Here it is...she has a few other free patterns too...

http://dayna.tdgservices.com/Default.aspx

Click on the MY PATTERNS at the top, and it's the first pattern listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived