rvan777

Article about my grandson's afghan

:cheerGreat article! how proud your grandson is!

:eekshocked to see the first comment! its not like you cut a flag up and used it! the thinking of some poeple!

I'm sitting here shaking my head at that first article comment. Can not FATHOM how something like this could be considered a "dishoner" :rolleyes

If anything, I would call it the highest honor possible, to have a symbol like that recreated so painstakingly and beautifully, I might add! Congratulations on a beautiful piece, and a beautiful grandson to give it to! :hug

That first comment was stupid! BTW, I'm amused that you mention in the article that you had to crochet the afghan, but at the end, they only say that you've been knitting for 20 or whatever years!

I had corrected her a few times about crocheting and knitting and she still put knitting in the article at the end. I guess that I missed the first post.

That is a gorgeous afghan.. You must be very proud of your grandson:cheer as well as your work.:clap

May I ask where you got the pattern?

Despite the bad reporter, I think that your grandson should be commended for his patriotism. And it is clear from his picture, that he is thrilled with his gift. It is a beautiful ghan! I think you did a great job on it!

That is awesome! I was shocked too by the first comment but some people can just be rude no matter what. You did a great job and your grandson is very lucky to have you!

Great article, thanks for sharing! I didn't care for the first comment. I think it is fine and very to crochet a flag or use it in a dignified way and you have.

Great article and great afghan!!!! That is one of my favorite patterns. I think you did a great job on it and your grandson is adorable!!! I love the way he is wrapped up in it.

I think that the person who wrote the first comment in the article is a bit misguided, and he didn't have to be so rude about it. I don't like it when people make comments like that when they have only part of the facts.

According to the original Flag Code, the flag isn't supposed to be displayed in certain ways. However, the Code has been revised frequently and some things aren't quite the taboo that they used to be. Also, I consider your afghan to be artwork, and displaying the flag in art is fine. Here's a link if you'd like to read more:

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html#6

It's funny...according to the link, the flag isn't supposed to be displayed in a lot of ways that are commonplace...including on a postage stamp. A postage stamp is designed to be thrown away.

Also, the person who wrote that comment can't spell the word "honoring" either.

Edited by crochetstepmom

Nice afghan, I too can't understand why someone would say that in the first comment. I think I have that pattern. It's huge!

the flag is gorgeous and kudos to your grandson for being so involved and caring!!

Love the afghan and the article and your grandson looks so happy and proud. You must be really proud of both. Congratulations!

I can understand the first commenters position to a point. The afghan that you made is NOT an exact duplicate of the flag that we fly. You don't have straight edges on the stripes and the stars are round. It's a beautiful piece of art not a replica. I think it was rude that such a comment was directed at a child.

The picture is wonderful and your grandson is adorable. You did a beautiful job on the afghan.

great job on the afghan and the article is wonderful, even though they changed you from crocheting to knitting at the end. I think it's amazing how much like crochet you can make knit look! :lol

A local reporter that heard about my grandson's flag afghan did a story. Here is the link with a picture of my grandson. I am so proud of the little guy at 11.;)

http://www.theoutlookonline.com/features/story.php?story_id=121512345683768600

I liked the afghan. I've made a few dozen American flag afghans myself.

As for the commentor who was mad, I can understand why. Some people believe (and I think it's somewhere in the flag code, but it may have been updated at some point) that anything that looks like an American flag can be considered an American flag. If it's being used as a piece of clothing (like some people have done at concerts or sport events) then that would be considered disrespectful to the flag.

But, hey, at least the person who complained wasnt kvetching about a politician running for president, or saying something bad about America in general. At least they were wanting to protect the flag.

Whenever I make an American flag, I dont add stars to the Union (also known as the Field of Blue, or Field of Stars) For one thing, I dont want to have to make 50 little stars (or even 13) and then have to sew them into the Union. I'm never trying to make an exact replica of a flag. Uusally I'm just making an afghan that looks similar to an American flag...an artistic expression (also known as exercising my Freedom of Speech)

So, ignore the person who kvetched that it was disrespectful and tell people you're exercising your Freedom of Speech/Expression.

That is so cool...the afghan is beautiful !!! Thanks for sharing !!!

Flag burning is dishonoring our flag.

Anyway...your afghan is beautiful!

This type of comment always amuses me as the proper way to dispose of a worn and unusable flag is by burning. Yes some protestors 'burn' a good flag as a supposed dishonor, but I see nothing wrong with them disposing of it in the 'proper' way.

But yes, I agree the afghan is beautiful and a great way to honor his father.

Edited by Aiea

My jaw dropped when I read the first comment. I guess I can understand why someone wrote that, but the way it's phrased is just downright rude. I'm still shaking my head over that!

The afghan is lovely and it looks huge! I'm impressed. It's awesome that you got an article written about it in the paper. Congrats!