Lite Hooks in Australia

cupcake

I was so excited to see lite hooks advertised in the latest Spotlight catalogue. I have seen people talking about them here at the ville, but could never find them locally.

So today I hotfooted to the local spotlight and treated myself one. I feel like Luke Starwalker with the flashy sword thing, but hey it is awesome. Because it is all plastic, I am also thinking that it will be QANTAS approved.

Here is the catalogue link: you need to go to page 18, and they are in the top right hand corner.

http://spotlight.dynamiccatalogue.com.au/portal/dynamiccatalogue?CatalogueID=1186099588086&pageview=two

The smallest size is a 4mm, and having just played arround with it, the tension is a bit looser than a metal 4mm.

If you have a VIP card they are about 10dollars.

They also had the lite up knitting needles as well, for the so inclined.

Have fun!

I am bumping this up for the Aussies out there.

I would hate you all to miss getting one of these. I was sitting in the lounge with the lights out crocheting when dh came home and "said what the????". It is nice to have a new toy. My 3 sons also found it very amusing and reckon it must have many non crochet uses, like trying to find coins lost down the sofa, using to flash for assistance if I am ever lost in the desert, amusing the cat,...

I was so excited to see lite hooks advertised in the latest Spotlight catalogue. I have seen people talking about them here at the ville, but could never find them locally.

So today I hotfooted to the local spotlight and treated myself one. I feel like Luke Starwalker with the flashy sword thing, but hey it is awesome. Because it is all plastic, I am also thinking that it will be QANTAS approved.

Have you been able to find out whether it is QANTAS approved?

I checked last week when I flew back north and they said no hooks or needles of any kind....

Manda

Hi cupcake I live in Northern Ireland not Australia and like yourself NEVER thought I would ever see such a thing here. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I found one in a craft store in Belfast so of course I HAD to buy it but have to admit I havent used it yet. Think I must be saving it for a dark day!

• 1 month later...

I have a question for you all. How bright is the light? I've been thinking of buying one so that I can crochet in the movie theater. But I'm worried that the light might bother other people. In the dollar movie theater that I take my two girls to they play a message asking people not to text on their cell phones because the light from the screen can bother people. So, how bright is that light?

The lights on them are quite bright but they kind of mainly come out of the end of them - the rest of it just glows up to the handle. (Karin - sit on the back row in the corner and no-one will notice the light lol!) They are available on e-bay too from the USA for about £29 for the whole set of 9.

I bought the whole set when I was over in the USA as they were in a sale for $4 each (bargain!!). Great for doing yarn crochet but they do squeak a little bit! I took my regular plastic crochet hooks on the flight to to US (checked with the security man that it was ok) and no problem - the steward was very interested in what my friend and I were making (I was teaching her how to crochet by doing a simple ami) and we had to do a show and tell at the end of the flight!

Wow - I hadn't seen this thread before. Unfortunately, we live nearly two hours away from our nearest Spotlight. Maybe next time I get Mum into Big Town, we may have to go and explore.

I have a question for you all. How bright is the light? I've been thinking of buying one so that I can crochet in the movie theater. But I'm worried that the light might bother other people. In the dollar movie theater that I take my two girls to they play a message asking people not to text on their cell phones because the light from the screen can bother people. So, how bright is that light?

ok so I went to the movies yesterday and I bravely took along some yarn and my lite hook. Yep it worked ok, my son was horrified, but it didnt seem to bother any one. I only got three rows done though as the movie was a bit intense.

We saw "Taken" for any one into movies. Not really a good crochet movie, maybe next time I will try and see an animation or something a bit lighter.

Had to laugh about your son being horrified.:lol

Ok, I have several of these, and they seem to be a little larger than the regular hooks. I know for a fact, that the G (4 mm) hook is actually the size of the G7 (4.5mm).

I really love these, but you may find they do have a tendency to squeek when you use them.

I tease the DH when he ask what that nosie is, I say "What noise":rofl

Archived