Pine Ridge NOTE Change of Address for sending supplies - formerly blankets for Pine R

dr-mom

Hi I am back - I think as sponsoring families you have to decide what you would like to do - if you would like more personalized contact then I think it would be fine to set up a yahoo group. In my position as a volunteer I can not encourage you either way - but I do hear a lot of enthusiasm. I did check on the group all ready started and it is a closed group just for those families that all sposnor one particular large family - if you decide to start one you need to remember the rules of confidentiality and you may want to screen those who join, so that there would not be any problems with confidential information getting out - just some ramblings - Pamela

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Pamela:

Glad you're back!

Did you have any thoughts on Holly's idea about a yarn co-op at Pine Ridge? I found a group on the Web, The Lakota Fund at:

www.lakotafund.org

Have you heard of them before? They sound like the kind of group that might sponsor or help finance something like this.

I have not too much along those lines today - we got in at 2:30 this morning and our foster duaghter came at 7:30 so am kind of dragging today - with all the joy of laundry and so on. I do know that I am not able to underatke it - with both the Sponsorship Program and The chain Gang my hands are full - if anyone else reading this would like to pursue these things it would be wonderful. I am just in the process of finishing up matching sweaters for the twin girls we spnsor, now to make one for the baby boy! It is such a joy to call after our care packages are received - makes my heart glad -

While that is all said and done on the sad side I wish I could get as many people intersted in this project as the blanket brigade for the soldiers I wish they would do both! But I know it has to be what pulls on the heart, and we still must deal with a world of prejudice when it comes to the Native population - as half chippewa I know that first hand. I will take any ideas and suggestions - Pamela

Your package arrived today and you will get a little note from the Gang as they have taken on Pine Ridge as a project. We are making some project toward our goal and I can not tell you how much it is all appreciated, even one hat may be that extra bit of warmth to keep an elder from catching pneumonia - thanks Pamela

I have been talking to Pamela and I know she is trying to fins a sponsor or sponsors for 4 children they are part of a household of 12 living with the grandma. 5 yr old girl, 4 yr old boy, 2 yr old boy and a new born baby not quite 2 months, help me spread the word through your grops. These kids have a wonderful grandma who is keeping the family together. I am all ready sponsoring or I would jump in there - I love babies, and a new born would be really fun to make things for - but oh dear so would the 5, 4, and 2 yr old - oh they are now a sibling group but are all the grandchildren of the elder, Sam

(Pamela hope it was all right to post this here as I know that no confidentail things were mentioned) oh to sponsor all you need to do is send a care package 5 times a year, birthday, first day of school, thanksgiving, christmas, and easter - that is your minimum obligation, I tend to send a little something each month, sometimes just a letter, and maybe toothbrushes for everyone, or some treats - etc. think about your stashes it would mean maybe making some hats, mittnes, scarves, maybe a sweater ot two, and some toys and you would easily have 5 care pacakages done!

Sam

I know Pamela started this looking for help with her blankets project - but it has grown into so much more. I too am sponsoring and it is the most blessed thing I have done. I have a school age girl - and just went out to Target and picked up 4 outfits for her for less than $20 they had all their summer things on sale up to 75% off - and the mom said it is really hot there over 100 so she is pretty set, threw in some undies and off it went in the mail. My relatives are all back in Colombia - so I don't have much family here besides my friends through crochet - but there are thousands of people on the crochet sites - I never thought of making things but yes a beautiful sweater for the first day of school, a matching hat and scarf and mittens for another package, I wnat to make some crocheted animals and dolls - wow tis is double the fun. I may need to look for a yahoo group that can help me with the dolls, and if it goes well Pamela could I make some extras for your trip to South Dakota. I figure if they need blankets they surely do not have toys! Rosa

Dr Mom - This week I will be sending you a box of hats and a blanket that I've crocheted. What sad conditions there are Pine Ridge. Glad you are doing so much to help these people. :hug Laura

This is for Pamela and others who are making warm things for the Rez.

For all intents & purposes; you need to figure that ALL laundry is done BY HAND, and in COLD water. That said; please keep in mind that warm items of clothing and blankets "can be and need to be " of wool or some wool content, at least; if you can get it.

Wool is warmer than any other fiber, even when it's wet.

Try to strive for patterns that aren't too "hole-y". For example: an afghan made from granny squares isn't going to be very warm when you're living in the equivalent of a barn" .

Try for a more solid fabric as you crochet. Use two strands of yarn if you can get away with it. Or use a smaller hook...

Those who will receive the items, will more then likely, be washing these things in cold water, by hand. BUT-on the other hand, they know how to hand-wash items with WOOL in them. A GOOD THING ! :) ( I am reminded of a wool sweater I knitted for my sister....:angry ) Now it fits her little dog !

I have made warm items for Pine Ridge for several years.....only I send them to the Billy Mills Youth Center. These are just a few things I've learned.

Other things they can use: soaps of all kinds, bed linens, socks, underwear ( summer & winter) , yarn, knitting needles & crochet hooks of their own ! , food staples, WOOD for stoves, just about ANYthing and EVERYthing.

When you hear "They have NOTHING"...it is NOT an eggsageration ( sp?) . They have NOTHING. And no way to get anything, and no money to get it. It's a vicious cycle.

I crochet baby things and things for the elders...hats, mittens, scarves, slippers, sweaters, afghans. In a baby layette, I'll add things, like 2 dozen cloth diapers, bars of Ivory for baby, boxes of hot baby cereal, powdered formula, baby bottles.

J. Baker, will also take garden seeds, tools, and canning equipment. At the end of this years canning season; ALL of my garden & canning things are being shipped to the REZ; due to my own health problems. Anybody want to take 2 pressure canners and about 500 canning jars up there ??? :)

Just a few FYI's. Go for "WARM" and you can't go wrong. Slippers made with two strands and an upper cuff are prized by the elders to keep feet warm in the cold of winter.

Madamspinner

I'm excited to have just started a sponsorship of two little brothers, ages 3 and 2. I was able to do some shopping today for clothes and toys at Target, and had a blast, since I'm at the stage where my boys are grown but I don't have grandkids to buy for yet! This is a household of 12, 6 adults and 6 children. I wish I could sponsor all 6 children in the household, but just can't afford to. I believe this may be the household that Sam the Man mentioned earlier in this thread. The other children in the household are: a 1-year-old boy, a 4-year-old boy and his 5-year-old sister, and a 3-month-old girl. Since two of the six children are now sponsored, it sure would be great to get sponsors for the other four so they won't feel left out. Their grandmother, who is the head of the household, sounds like a special lady, although I keep missing her with my phone calls! I'm looking forward to talking with her and learning more about the needs in the household.

Hi this is Pamela and some of you are aware, and others perhaps not - that I grew up on the reservation, and yes it would be wonderful if afghans were made of wool, but if yours are not - please do not worry, everything is a help, and there are many individuals like myself that are alergic to wool, and need that afghan to be made of something else. I made my petition for blankets, but know that I am willing to take anything that you send me, I will be going home for my own pow wow and then will drive over to Pine Ridge the next day, I grew up on a reservation in the eastern part of South Dakota and live in Minnesota now. A number of people had mentioned that they would like to make things but wanted to know that they actually were received and given to those with the greatest needs, that is why I offered to go. Yes please if you can make you afghans as solid as possible, if you have made ones that are grannys not to worry they will be used as well. Perhpas when you are sending the afghans if you can afford it throw in some crayons, or similar things for the children, anything you can think of for the first day of school will certainly be needed now, such as pens and pencils, markers, backpacks, I don't remember when was the last time I saw a child with an actual backpack. Ok I have said enough, but if you would like to know any of my personal experinces just pm me. Thanks Pamela

would anyone be interested in starting a comfortghan for Pine Ridge? I don't know if we would have a response but sure would be fun. I can make the squares but am not good at putting them together, anyone think this might be a good idea. I could talk with Pamela and see if there is a special child that might be in need, and request for that child? Sam

Sam I think it is a good idea. I too am not good at the joining part, but I know making the square with a child in mind would sure motivate me I wonder if Pamela would be able to get a photo? Or Pamela if it is a problem in your role to ask I don't mind at all - worst that can happen is I am told no

others let me know your thoughts.

I wonder if somehow we should combine this forum and the sponsorship forum under a new name and ask everyone to post there, so we don't miss anyone? just wondering

Simone

if you want to donate squares to be made into afghans for the pine ridge reservation you can send them to...... pam wingard

po box 80597

baton rouge, la. 70898-0597

have been doing these for her and she takes any size.

If you go to the friends of pine ridge indian resv. site it will explain it all to you. hope everyone who can will do at least one!

Ellebe your box is here it is wonderful - thank you so much I will be taking it the second weekend in O ctober - and Sassy Threads from

California is talking about meeting me there and bring a truck load from you guys in the west - she's got to clear it with family first - this is so exciting - Pamela

YOur two afghans arrived that you made with the knitting machine yarn they are so beautiful. I feel so blessed to be part of this wonderful group, and the families will be so much better off this year. the deadline for the October trip is October 10. I must begin packing on that day, and please pray that we will have a full cargo van - Pamela

I sure wish I knew how to use a knitting machine or a loom for that matter - it seems I never have the time to sit down and learn - or perhaps it is just that I am a little scared to try something new - seems that if i just sit down and crochet it will be done much faster. How is it going do you have a lot of supplies? what is your deadline for needing everything in? sam

Hey all,

Pamela and I wanted to let you all know that we have the charity group ready to go.

We are calling it Crafting For A Cause in yahoo groups. We have decided to include all crafters that would like to help. Crocheters, knitters, quilters, sewers, beaders, woodworking, leather work etc...

To start off we will be including Pine Ridge Reservation, Kids going through cancer treatments at UC Davis in CA

Pamela's Chaing gang and other special needs children.

We also will support a different chairity a month. We are on the ground floor right now so come along and join us.

• 2 weeks later...

My van is now full - I have an address where you can send supplies directly for Pine Ridge. Please Whenever yous send something for Pine ridge Let me know - so that I can verify that it was received. thank you Pamela

Send all supplies to:

The United Sioux Tribes of South Dakota

103-A New York ST

Rapid City SD 57709

Thank you so much - Pamela

Kathy you belong to the crafting for a cause right? Barbara is going to keep track of all of that. Did you happen to enclose a disposable camera - hoping we can get some pictures. Let barbara know what you sent and record it in the data base - thank you so much - Pamela

Hey Folks - I am still getting a lot of supplies at my house which is great I want every one of them - but the people from the reservation are telling me that they could use the things earlier than mid-October which is my trip now - so if you can please send them right to Wayne at the United Sioux Tribes

Send all supplies to:

The United Sioux Tribes of South Dakota

103-A New York ST

Rapid City SD 57709

Please mark all box from Crafting For A Cause - so he will know it came from us crocheters. Pamela

Just a few minutes ago we were the most popular news story on Yahoo. Oh My GOSH I can't believe this.

http://tinyurl.com/awhrs

I know I sent this announcement to some of you earlier today. But we need your help. Please follow the link below and rate the story (5 stars would be great) and if you can please email the story from yahoo (link at the bottom of the page) to at least one person and ask them to do the same.

Our little grass roots PR is working. The gang has already started to get donations not to mention the exposure for our little company.

Love and Blessings, Pamela -- \

http://tinyurl.com/awhrs

Archived