Pine Ridge NOTE Change of Address for sending supplies - formerly blankets for Pine R

dr-mom

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love making hats and mittens and it sounds like this is among the things you need right? Sure wish we oculd get more involved any out there got any suggestions, Kitten lov e your little guy for caring you are doing a terrefic job raising him. I want to get involved in the sponsorship and will send an email - will keep you guys posted about that as well - Rosa

Rosa, I don't know - read the story about the penquins and maybe the pictures are what caught people's attention I wonder Pamela do you think you can post any photos of the kids at Pine Ridge or would there be issues of confidentiality? Probably, if you can maybe start a new thread - others what do you think?

moni

I think that there are a lot of pople out there who care but just don't really know how bad things are - we always think it is somewhere else - and it is Africa, and so on, but we don't know it is right here in our own country - and maybe for some it is too scary to except - other email groups - but a lot of them don't allow posting about charities - Sam

New Crochetville member here, I've been lurking for a while, joined a couple of days ago, and ... reading those websites just tore my heart out. Yes, you know poverty like this exists, but to have it exist here is unbearable. Sign me up for at least 2 afghans, plus whatever little things I can toss together in time to make the trip with you. I don't know if i can commit to sponsor a child or family on my own; would anyone be interested in a co-sponsorship?

Lani in Virginia

I would be more than willing to help out with the blankets. If you PM me with your address I will send you two for the August trip. Also I haven't used it yet, but I do have a knitting machine which could come in handy with the fine yarn that was donated.

New Crochetville member here, I've been lurking for a while, joined a couple of days ago, and ... reading those websites just tore my heart out. Yes, you know poverty like this exists, but to have it exist here is unbearable. Sign me up for at least 2 afghans, plus whatever little things I can toss together in time to make the trip with you. I don't know if i can commit to sponsor a child or family on my own; would anyone be interested in a co-sponsorship?

Lani in Virginia

Maybe too there is someone at work, what you have to dois 5 times a y ear send a set of books and schhol supplies first day of school, than something at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and the birthday. For some taking a baby is easier, and you can croceht outfits as they grow. there are over 500 children waiting, and winter coming so even just spreading the word would be wonderful

Pamela

I would be more than willing to help out with the blankets. If you PM me with your address I will send you two for the August trip. Also I haven't used it yet, but I do have a knitting machine which could come in handy with the fine yarn that was donated.

Kelly I can send you the yarn if you want to PM me your address and send the afghans to

Blankets for Pine Ridge

% Reinert

6922 East Fish Lake Road

Maple Grove, MN 55369

I have decided to make two trips one in August and another before heavy snow in mid October!

Hi all,

I was able to speak with Pamela today and am now a sponser. I was so torn when she explained to me about life on the Pine Ridge Reservation. If there is anyway you could sponser a child this is the place:heart

It is so cold in the winter :snow I am going to start crocheting shawls and blankets for the family.

Thank you so much pamela:hug for making us aware of the conditions at Pine Ridge.

GodBless You:manyheart

I was thinking if they don't have blankets they probably do not have toys either - I saw a really cute crochet pattern, for making one of those learning books, you know where you have one page that buttons one that ties and so on - tkae very little yarn and you can use up your scraps if anyone is intersted let me know and I will get the pattern to you - Simone

Hey Sam I am so excited:yay :woo:yay I went and bought clothes for the little ones yesterday. Yes I will post pictures but I will have to get permission from the family first.

I promise to post them when I receive the pictures:yes

For now I will get started on the crochet projects for them:knit

I'll have a few things ready to go for August...coffee, beads, cloth, etc...probably not much crocheted. But I should have a mess of mittens, hats and scarves done for October. I've got a lot of WIP's that I want to get wrapped up first. I'm also going to take a trip to a blanket factory up north and see if I can get a discount on a bulk purchase. Plus I have a funny feeling my son will have outgrown his jackets and ski pants...both in good condition. I've also got something in the works for the child I sponsor...he will be 13 in April and we are going to try and get him a Pendleton blanket. :D I'm planning on making his mom and 3 sisters dance shawls and chokers for him, his father and his brother. That is if I can ever figure out how to make the chokers...I've only done 1!

Sassy...congrats on becoming a sponsor! You'll love it! It's such a rewarding experience. I started sponsoring b/c I wanted my son to learn how important it was to help someone who does not have as much as we do. He's always complaining we don't buy him this or that. He doesn't do that so much now that he has seen how bad others have it. My grandmother used to make me do chores around the house to earn money to send to Jerry's Kids. I used to get so mad. But it taught me a lot about charity and how important it is. This just hits a little closer to home and has taught my son so much already.

Ok Lynna nd Kittencat - tell us more about your new children - I know you can't tell names or anything confidential but how about ages and sex in case we have something we might like to shae with you as far as patterns or maybe even items we have made. Rosa

I have been asked about the yarn for the knitting machines as this is what it says inside the cone -

Noni Lee Yarns

Perfection

1/6 100% acrylic

Pro 21 china Sea

Lot 054387

Hope this helps someone

Pamela:2hug :welcome

If I'm not mistaken, 1/6 means this is yarn about 3000ypp. If you worked with it doubled up it would be like a 2-ply light sport weight, and tripled it could be used as a regular worsted weight.

That might be of some help if you can't find a knitting machine to use it for.

Hi Rosa, my children all live together in one house with no electricity. There are 12 people living together. :ohdear

Grandma and Grandpa take care of everyone. Right now Grandma is in the hospital.

The children are

Boy 2

Boy 2 1/2

Girl 2

Baby girl 4 months

Will try to come up with something for this before winter Pamela! Definitely something worth contributing to...I just love babies I can't bear the thought of any baby anywhere being cold with no bed and blanket, it makes me cry!!!:cry

hugs

Ro

Ro you are really a sweetheart! I know you have special projects ofyour own and to be willing to be involved with the Pine Ridge project is wonderful. I titled this keep our babies alive because it is just so horrible to live here in the US one of the leading countries in the world and know that babies and elders literally freeze to death each year - they need everything - hats, blankets, mittens, scarves, sweaters, doesn;t have to be just blankets what ever moves you - Pamela:cheer

Rosa, I've been sponsoring a 12 year old boy since April. He lives with his parents, 3 sisters and a brother. They have problems with black mold in the house so with some of the kids being asthmatic, there are 2 rooms they can't go in. He's a very smart kid..honor roll student.:D Mom is in college and Dad is involved with a job search program. It's been such a rewarding experience!

Pamela...I tried emailing at this addy: spiritrisingsponsorship@comcast.net

And it was returned as a failure: This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.Delivery to the following recipients failed. Sorry to be trouble! Is this not correct?Thanx

Archived