Stripy scarves for victims of abuse

Miss Crochet

Hello fellow scarfies!

If you have any yarn lying around that's just BEGGING to be made into a scarf, check out this thread:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=69442

It would be fantastic to hit fifty by August - there are so many lovely, lovely people at C'Ville, I KNOW we can give GrannyAnnie a hand! So whip up a scarf (or two. Or three) and send them off to someone who needs them:cheer

I've been busy - here are the first off my hook. Please excuse photo, they're nicer in real life, honest :lol And the one on the right isn't finished yet because - Murphy's Law of Crocheting - I ran out of a crucial colour.

scarves1.jpg

Hi Mamabear (and everyone else - thank you for the compliments!)

You can use any scarf pattern for this charity. As long as it's soft and comforting. I'm not a very advanced crochterer so I stick to what I can do!

I have no pattern at all for these scarves. When I started I wanted to make something like a stripy college scarf but as time went on I just experimented. Basically I use three stitches - sc, hdc and dc. Depending on which side you crochet into the scarf, the stitching appears bigger and smaller on the front and back, i.e. a sc looks very thin on the 'right' side, but appears bigger on the 'back'. So I just do a foundation row of chain stitches and then crochet a row in, say, dc in one colour. Do the next row in sc in a contrasting colour. Then do a row in hdc in another - as the fancy takes me! It's great fun to see how the colours turn out and if you have a nice variegated (like in the black scarf) you can sc it along every two rows of the plain colour, so you can see how the colour changes against the background of the darker colour.

It's very basic stuff, I guess, but I like projects with simple stitches and pretty colours :lol

Hi Mamabear (and everyone else - thank you for the compliments!)

You can use any scarf pattern for this charity. As long as it's soft and comforting. I'm not a very advanced crochterer so I stick to what I can do!

I have no pattern at all for these scarves. When I started I wanted to make something like a stripy college scarf but as time went on I just experimented. Basically I use three stitches - sc, hdc and dc. Depending on which side you crochet into the scarf, the stitching appears bigger and smaller on the front and back, i.e. a sc looks very thin on the 'right' side, but appears bigger on the 'back'. So I just do a foundation row of chain stitches and then crochet a row in, say, dc in one colour. Do the next row in sc in a contrasting colour. Then do a row in hdc in another - as the fancy takes me! It's great fun to see how the colours turn out and if you have a nice variegated (like in the black scarf) you can sc it along every two rows of the plain colour, so you can see how the colour changes against the background of the darker colour.

It's very basic stuff, I guess, but I like projects with simple stitches and pretty colours :lol

That's what I thought you did. I was hoping you were going to say exactly what you did! I too, like to use these basic stitches and play with the colors and see what turns out. I love varigated yarns too; they open up design possibilites! I was just thinking about the lone skein of Black I Love This Yarn...time to play:crocheting

WOW been busy very pretty!

Aww, thanks Craziebunny! And yes, my little fingers are raw, haha. I have a semi-free weekend - the first in ages - so I am crocheting like a woman possessed by the yarn fairies :lol

Mamabear - I've LOVED some of the gorgeous scarves already sent to GrannyAnnie and would love to experiment a bit more with patterns and stitches. But time is off the essence, so I experiment with colours and stick to the stitches I know. Besides, this way, no two scarves are ever the same and you get to use up all your bits and pieces.

Archived