How much yarn do you keep on hand?

I have lots.....at least 10 large tubs in the basement, 10 tubs in the spare room, various baskets and bags full

Wish I could be as organized as "dorothysgirls" but alas, no....:lol

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A LOT!!! 2 Bookshelves full. Half an 8 drawer dresser full. 2 large totes that roll under the bed. A bunch of new stuff in bags on the day bed. A number of moving boxes in the storage space. Some piled on a rocker/recliner. I'm sure that's not all. My best friend's daughter said she had never seen so much yarn outside of a yarn shop and she only saw about half of it. I also have a box of crochet thread for my thread crochet projects. A large box of it! :lol :lol :lol

Recently JoAnns had a sale where the caron 1 pounders were on sale from $6.99 to $4.50, so I DID stock up on it for making xmas presents and stuff (nearly $100.00...so what 19-20 skeins?), and my b/f's aunt gave me 2 trash bags full of yarn and scraps. And another cousin and a client both gave me a few skeins year before last for xmas. other than that, i have some thread balls.

It seems like a lot, until you start getting into wanting to make scrappy type ghans. my scrap yarn is nearly used up :(:( I think its like 7 somewhat smallish balls (as in my hands will close over them). Guess it will just take a while to get the scrappies done...lol. Worse things i guess than having wips.

Sandy

Well, Let me guess. Almost 200 and that is guessing. I might have more. I have 6- 18 gal totes full. 5 kitty litter buckets full. 8 bags of yarn. The grocery size. One tote with all balls of part skiens. I think that is it. Maybe maybe not. I do not remember if I got them all.

Salli

Working on a Bat shaped blanket

I'm not sure, but I envy some of you. I have a lot but WOW!! I want the stashes y'all have.

I know I have 2 big totes full of skeins (one normal ww yarns, the other fancier stuff), one tote of WIPs, a corner of my living room with other WIP...

My only estimate is when I moved from college to get married 2 years ago, I had more totes of yarn than I did of clothes. And that was after making afghan gifts for my college friends!

My dh cringes when I mention going to a yarn store for a project I have in mind. He says "you have so much yarn, can't you use what you have already?"

Sometimes, yes. Fortunatey for me, I have a Christmas tree skirt to make and only a little less than 1/2 pound of white and very little green and red. Hmm...

In a nutshell, entirely too much!

I find I tend to accumulate odd balls here and there from completed projects where I had yarn left over. Also, I have several afghan kits left that I got for Christmas this year that I haven't started on yet (yes, I am spoiled). In addition, I have yarn I got at a wool and fiber show this spring, plus wool to make myself another sweater for this winter.

Everything is either in plastic bins under the beds or in boxes in the spare room.

WAY too much is all I can say... I have pretty much stopped using RHSS. I've gotten into using more blends & cotton & wools.

I'm probably moving soon, so I've (mostly) decided to box the SS up & give it to my local senior center thrift store. I noticed that yarn disappears almost immediately there & goes for a worthy cause. I keep thinking that I'm gonna use the stuff for charity items, but even then, I usually use Woolease, Homespun or something else. The only thing it even gets used for anymore is slippers. So I just need to make a firm decision to get rid of this stuff!

As for other yarn, I have a whole dresser, bags & boxes of other yarn from other RH to LB to vintage 100% wool. My eldest DD & I are moving together & she is a bead artist, so we are both gonna have to cut down on our supplies or we won't even be able to walk around....

I have half of a double linen closet for my yarn, however its getting smaller as I have been using stuff up this year, but I also think it is spreading around the house. I plan on organizing it soon anyway as its getting a little unruly.

I'm not sure. Let's just put it this way, yarn consumes about half the third bedroom, and has invaded about a third of the living room :eek. I'm trying to de-stash right now, but when I get the next opportunity I will be buying more yarn and large storage containers :devil.

I have a smallish tote of yarn. Not having much storage space I tend to buy as needed for a project, and I have collected a little bit along the way~some very wonderful gifts~but I have trouble knowing how much yarn a project takes~ya know? A skein here and there doesn't always add up to much... If I were to keep a stash I would collect cotton, because I ALWAYS have a cotton project in mind. I like to have a little fun fur on hand for comfortghan squares as well... Other than that, I guess I could just go shop at Dorothy's house! LOLOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

• 1 month later...

I am down to 3 medium tubs and two large ones. The medium ones are sport, cotton and novelty. The large ones are worsted and leftovers that were wound into cakes. I use the cakes for hats, scarves and scrap ghans. I have been trying to use up the cakes, but when making scrap ghans I need what patterns call a main color, but I call a grounding color (one that helps the other colors work well together and carries them through the whole ghan). So I wind up running out of that color and buying more which results in leftovers and more cakes that replace the ones I have used. LOL

this is most of it

th_pictures058.jpg

the photo didn't capture the WHOLE wall and i have wim's in bags-- about 4 i think and then there are the 4 bags and two tubs of "scraps"ie single skeins and balls

is it any wonder that i am in the stash busting CAL????

Ummm, how much yarn do I have or how much yarn do I ADMIT to having? :D

When it gets to be too much, I pack up all my partials and ends and send them to one of the charities on the Lion Brand site looking for yarn. Lately my daughter and I have taken a liking to the middle school crochet program in a school in Philadelphia. They get our boxes of ends and partials. They work with Project Linus making blankets for preemies.

So me collecting yarn is really just part of my greater vision of community service...................right?! :lol

:hookColleen

:rofl If you only knew! :rofl

This depends on who you ask:

dh ~ Enough to crochet us a house.

kids ~ "You bought more yarn?!"

mom ~ "Do you really NEED more yarn?"

me ~ "What? I'm almost out!" :devil

Really, I have 2 of the really large rubbermaid containers, 3 smaller rubbermaid containers, and 4 huge drawers in the plastic dresser type things, and about 6 large garbage bags full.

I need to get some of those nice organizing cubes like dorothysgirls & dragonpuck! Those are great! Maybe if I did that I would have it all organized a bit better.

What I would really like is this stash! :eek

(3) 18 gal. totes full, 2 large trash bags full, a large box just for cotton, a bag with cotton skeins I can't fit in the box (:eek I sorta went overboard on cotton when it was on sale for $1 a skein), a toy box full, misc. bags stuffed in closets around the house, and 10 skeins of the Caron Pounders that really don't fit anywhere but the box they were delivered in. I think that's all and OF COURSE it's not enough. I never seem to have the color I'm looking for. :hook My husband thinks I have enough to crochet for ever. What does he know? When he complains that I've purchased MORE yarn when I already have yarn I blame you guys. You all taught me this ya know. :D

Hmmm, well I tried to organize it the other day... it was an awful lot. If I could put it all in one spot it would be about 4 giant rubermaid totes full. But that would mean I really have to go through it all, organize it by color and weight and write down an inventory to keep it all straight. It's just so much more fun to buy more when I think I need it (and sometimes simply because it's on sale:devil)

Archived