Name Filet pattern

crochet_mommy

hey ladies (and gents), I would like to make a name filet for my in-laws (and possibly one for us also), but the problem is i have only done one other filet project. Can anyone help me, or point me the way to find out how to start and graph out a filet pattern? I'm also looking for nice letter styles, and edging styles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the last name is Younge.

Here is one site with the letters of the alphabet in several styles: http://members.aol.com/crochetalong/filetsamp.html

You can check out Crochet Pattern Central for more. Do a google search for filet crochet patterns and you will find a bunch more.

There are also alot of graphing programs out there which will create a graph for you. I have never used them but have seen alot of posts about them. I have always just gotten out the old graph paper and pencils and created graphs the old fashioned way.

Any cross stitch pattern can be coverted to filet crochet, having done alot of counted cross stitch I can tell you that there are hundreds of alphabets out there for cross stitch.

I hope this helps, Look at other name samplers and figure out which style you like and then add the letters in the style you like.

I hope this helps and wish you luck finding what you want.

Toni

Thanks ladies, all of those links came in handy when i designed it last night. I will try to post a pic of my graph later on today so you can tell me what you think. I did it in pencil by hand, but I may transfer it to excel if i have the time. I already started smudging it while still designing it last night, and I have a feeling it will take quite a while.

One more question, what are the advantages/disadvantages/differences of starting a filet pattern from the side rather than the bottom? What do you do? What looks better? I

TIA!!

I have always started the filet from the bottom. I have never heard of starting from the side so I can't give you any advice on that. When I think about it, for me starting from the bottom would be better, I might get confused reading the pattern from the side.

Can't wait to see your pictures.

Toni

Ok peeps. Here it is, let me know what you think? Is it too busy? I plan on doing it in white and then matting it and framing it. What do you think? This is my first graph...be honest please!! I'm a big girl, I can take it. :)

Sorry its so big. I couldn't figure out the sizing.

jamesandjherica.jpg

Very nice. What kind of border are you going to use? I think filet looks so much better with some kind of border.

I agree. i will probably use a pretty simple border since the pattern already has a sort of compicated border to it. I'm always looking. Any suggestions?

I did my first one starting from the side and it was really hard to block as my crochet got looser towards the end. Also when starting from the side versus the bottom you may have letters that are skinnier or fatter than you want as 4 dc standing upright isn't always equal to the width of one laying flat. If that makes sense...

Anyway, when I do mine, I just find some lettering I like and graph it out in pencil on graph paper and then start crocheting.

I did my first one starting from the side and it was really hard to block as my crochet got looser towards the end. Also when starting from the side versus the bottom you may have letters that are skinnier or fatter than you want as 4 dc standing upright isn't always equal to the width of one laying flat. If that makes sense....

You might try edc (extended dc), I have the same problem with short squatty dcs in filet :blush Also, if you have this problem I'd suggest going with a 3 dc mesh, it is much squarer if your stitches are on the short side. I would have to use triples if I went to 4 stitches per mesh, to make it square.

I'm not sure if it matters if you work the short or the long way...if you have tension issues you'd have it either way, and if it isn't too drastic you should be able to fix it by blocking. I prefer going the short way because it seems to go faster (I know, not really) and it's easier to count across a short row.

It's a really pretty pattern by the way!

I agree. i will probably use a pretty simple border since the pattern already has a sort of compicated border to it. I'm always looking. Any suggestions?

I'm not that good at picking borders. I usually like to add a border to finish the edges and hide any uneven-ness. What about something like this:

Rnd 1: sc, ch 3, skip 2-dc or 2-ch, sc

Rnd 2: sc, sc, dc, sc, sc. sk sc, repeat in next ch 3 loop

It would give you enough of a curve to balance the geometric border, but at the same time, be really subtle. You might have to adjust how many stitches in the second round, such as sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc. I'd have to play around a bit to see what works.

I did something similar on the last Chrysanthemum Tea Shawl that I made because I thought it should have a pointy boarder (like the flower), rather than a smooth border.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived