help with finishing off

Rosesandtea

Question

I usually finish off by pulling the yarn end through the very last loop, and pulling tight. There is a little bump there, however, even when I try to eliminate it by weaving in the end.

Is there a better way than pulling the yarn end through the last loop?

thanks

16 answers to this question

Let me try to explain it without a picture. When you finish your last stitch, and you have 1 loop left on your hook, stretch that loop out a little bit so it won't unravel. Now, take your hook out of the loop. You're going to work in the next stitch, but your going to poke your hook through from the back to the front, and grab the loop that you just took your hook out of, and pull it through the stitch to the back of your work. You should have your loop and your yarn tail both on the back of your work. Now pull the tail through the loop and pull it gently to secure. Weave in the tail and you're finished.

I don't have a tutorial for this, but it's a good idea. I'll try to put one on my blog tomorrow. It's late now and I'm very tired :yawn . So it's beddy bye time for me. :zzz

Hey Dot, Thanks for your tip, it works alot better then the way i was ending off, I normally just sl and pull the end through, which normally works but your way looks alot better. A simple question answered and a lot of us learned from it.

I found a link that was really neat. Only, now I don't remember where it was. But the joining went something like this.

When you are ready to join on the last row stop and cut about an inch or two tail. Tail you pull through where you would have slip stitched and then up and down in between the two bars of the last stitch you made. Tie and weave through in the back. Did that make any sense? I guess you really need to see it being done. I did. But I love it! You can't tell where you ended off.

Amber

Thanks ladies. Dot, I think I'd need to see you do it - I'm trying to visualize it but don't think I have it right - may give it a try while playing around sometime. I do want to try it.

SL I tried your method last night and it works well. I think that's what I'll do from now on.

thanks both of you!:))

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifAnd I end yet a different way. I pull the loop of the last stitch up about five or six inches and cut in the center of the loop. Then I pull the end that's still attached to the ball of yarn away. Take the remaining end and weave it back through the previous rows. No bump, no knot, no lump.

Remember, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it. The way that works best for the individual crocheter is the way s/he should do it. :D

Let me see if I can explain how I do it.

After I join I don't just pull the tail through the stitch. I remove my hook and insert it from the back to the front, in the next stitch after the join. I then pull the loop I took my hook out of through to the back, then I pull the tail through the loop and pull it tight.

If you try this, be sure you really want to finish it off, cuz it will be very hard to find that join again. :frog

Archived