Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

My four row squares were about 5 inches and the whole bag is about the size of a plastic grocery bag or a little bigger. Bigger than I thought it would be. My next one will be smaller.

Thanks. That helps. I read back over the previous posts (should have done that already!) I think I'll stop at 4 rounds then. That's going to be big enough. :hook

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gotten two squares done and stitched together. I figure if I put them together as I go I'll be more likely to finish...lol

I'm in! :yay I think this will be a much-used bag for my projects. :yes I have a question: how big are the squares? I started one, using Sugar & Cream Confectionary and only did 4 rows and the square was 4 & 1/4" across. It seems like if I do 5 - 7 rounds like the pattern says, it would be a huge bag! TIA

I'm using the same yarn and my 4 rnds with a g hook ended up almost 6inches sqr. Hope I bought enough yarn. I don't remember seeing anymore of this color. I guess if I run out I could mix a few white sqrs in and it look ok too.

Tena

I'm using a G hook, too, and trying to keep it kind of tight. I don't want to have to line it, but I will if I have to. Also, I'm just chaining 2 on the corners instead of 3 so the 'holes' won't be so big.

Did you all realize there's a mistake in the pattern? There's an extra Ch 3. It's in the 3rd row of the instructional part. You probably figured out you just need to do (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in each corner and there's no Ch 3 right before the corner. I just crossed that out. (hope that made sense) :hook

I'm using the same yarn and my 4 rnds with a g hook ended up almost 6inches sqr. Hope I bought enough yarn. I don't remember seeing anymore of this color. I guess if I run out I could mix a few white sqrs in and it look ok too.

Tena

What color are you using? Mine's called Plum Pudding. It's the great big skein. I bought two of them (not knowing what I was going to end up using it for), so if you're using the same color, I'll share with you if you need it. :D

What color are you using? Mine's called Plum Pudding. It's the great big skein. I bought two of them (not knowing what I was going to end up using it for), so if you're using the same color, I'll share with you if you need it. :D

Thank you for the offer! I am using a cream sickel peachy color, the wrapper doesn't have a color listed.

Tena

I also only chain 2 in the corners...and trying to keep the 4 rows very tight. The Caron WW with the G is working out okay.

I also only chain 2 in the corners...and trying to keep the 4 rows very tight. The Caron WW with the G is working out okay.

Me too the 3chs makes the holes to big for me

Me too the 3chs makes the holes to big for me

I guess I'm the only one different. I'm only chaining 1 at the corners. I don't like any holes bigger than that. I also do that when I make my regular granny squares. For me, it's much easier to line up the squares if you don't have to worry about too many chains at the corners.

Oh, and I'm almost there. :clap I only have six more squares to go. :cheer:yay

I guess I'm the only one different. I'm only chaining 1 at the corners. I don't like any holes bigger than that. I also do that when I make my regular granny squares. For me, it's much easier to line up the squares if you don't have to worry about too many chains at the corners.

I've done them with 1 ch when making ghans...hmmm...might have to make my next bag that way....:yes

Okay, so I have seen posts about these bags and thought that they were great! Now that I see the pattern.... I think that they are even awesome-er than before.

This is a perfect "take to work" project and I could finish it in a week. I am going to have to consult the stash and then go shopping to find some yarn to get started.

Thanks so much and I look forward to seeing your finished products!

I finished 2 more squares while waiting for hubby to try on clothes at the mall. I've got 8 now.

All the completed bags look awesome so far!

I'll try that next time thanks.

I finished all my squares...tomorrow I hope to finish it - then it's off to its new owner on the HIJ thread:)

I'll try that next time thanks.

You're welcome. :) I just finished my 12th square. Only 4 more to go. :yay I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to join my squares. Either whip stitch or sc together. Since my bag is just one color I was thinking to try sc'ing it together just for the texture. Any thoughts anyone? :) The next one I make I want to try a more colorful one like everyone else's. :yes

Well, I've taken the plunge......after seeing this fabulous pattern I was inspired....,.....this bag is just too much fun! So yesterday while my DH was glued to the Wimbledon semifinals and golf I took a break and went over to my LYS and snagged three skeins of "Felt-It" by Caron in "Evening Mist" for $.99/skein !!!!! So far I've finished twelve squares, and keeping my fingers

crossed that I won't run out of yarn (I bought all that was left in the sale bin).

I plan on felting the bag when it's finished. I've never felted before, but, what the heck..........for less than $3.00 for the entire bag I'm willing to risk it. Any pointers on felting?

Juli from Texas:hook:yarn:hook:yarn

Pat A - I'm whipstitching mine together - I;ve done it with sc and sl st but prefer the other. Whatever works, though, is my moto:hook

I'm finishing the third strip right now and leaving a long tail to join the rest together so I don't have to attach more yarn.

Well, I've taken the plunge......after seeing this fabulous pattern I was inspired....,.....this bag is just too much fun! So yesterday while my DH was glued to the Wimbledon semifinals and golf I took a break and went over to my LYS and snagged three skeins of "Felt-It" by Caron in "Evening Mist" for $.99/skein !!!!! So far I've finished twelve squares, and keeping my fingers

crossed that I won't run out of yarn (I bought all that was left in the sale bin).

I plan on felting the bag when it's finished. I've never felted before, but, what the heck..........for less than $3.00 for the entire bag I'm willing to risk it. Any pointers on felting?

Juli from Texas:hook:yarn:hook:yarn

I've felted before - machine wash is best, because of the agitation...some let the piece air dry completely, but depending on the size of what I was making I gave it a short ride in the drier, then shaped it and left it alone,

Of course, warm or hot water - I go with warm, for more control over the felting process. you can always put it throught the cycle again

Good luck!

I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to join my squares. Either whip stitch or sc together. Since my bag is just one color I was thinking to try sc'ing it together just for the texture. Any thoughts anyone? :):yes

I used sc in the top loop of the sides - I hate whipstitching, and I was looking for texture. I think it would look great!

Here's my bag: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81008

If you look close, you can see the joining sc.

I used sc in the top loop of the sides - I hate whipstitching, and I was looking for texture. I think it would look great!

Here's my bag: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81008

If you look close, you can see the joining sc.

Very nice

I have 3 sqrs made so far. I was hoping to be done by this weekend but I guess not,

tena

I crocheted my first block yesterday while going to meet some friends:cheer (DH was driving).

I need to get some thread. I only had one ball and was trying it out to see how I liked it. Gave me an idea, it was a P & C, it had too much white in it.. it was very fast to work up and now I am anxious to get to Hobby Lobby will have to go today because they are not open on Sun.

I will also pick up the material to line it..

Getting more anxious all the time..:yay

E1:c9

I absolutely love this bag and will be making one soon but have to finish a couple other things first... I am checking in frequently though and seeing the progress! I think I might do mine in a variety of greens and blues but I'm not sure though...

Archived