Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

I just stopped at Joann's when I did our banking for work and picked up yarn to start my next bag.....hopefully I will be able to crochet this weekend and my surgery will not hinder my hooking. Did I say how much I LOVE this bag! I have been getting mega compliments on it!

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a dream of yarn for this that I actually have last night, and I printed the pattern out today~that makes me one step closer to actually making it! LOL! Soooo many patterns and projects, sooo little time..... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

I started one square yesterday. I'm using RH WW and the color is Warm Brown and a G hook. I haven't measured it but I estimate it to be about 4". So far so good. I'll try to make :crochetinganother square today. lol

Yeah, one more round put me at exactly four inches across. I think I just need to stop over thinking things and just go for it. If it's too small I can always add rounds later. :hook

I'm glad it worked for you. Can't wait to see the finished bag. :)

now dont forget ladies... we can all cheat and take our bags to our local tailor to have them lined. :mdust:U:mdust

:mug

I didn't even think of that. I come from a "do it yourself" type family. My mom could sew (most of my school pictures have me in something she made) and my dad is a fix-it kind of guy (except when it comes to the new cars with computers).

But that is a good option.

I saw one of these where each "round" was a different color and it looks so good, so using stash would make it look nice. I was thinking of doing that.

Debbi

:cheer:cheer

Can't wait to see your pics

Joyce

Three more square to go then I'm ready to start sewing my bag together! Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have pics to show!

Try seamstress and sometimes dry cleaners offer sewing services.

Joyce

How do you find somebody like that:?

We don't have tailors in the phone book. :think

I ended up at AC Moore's with my dd and grandkids last night after getting EVERYONE new shoes. I found Sugar N Cream Confectionery on sale, I picked up a pretty peach to make the bag with. I KNOW I said I was going to use my stash but this took the decision out of what to make it with LOL I will start it this afternoon when I put the kids down for quiet time

Then I'll take a nap, not much sleep going on around here lately,

Tena

Wow! I can't believe I found you all over here, working on this bag! I love the pattern and have three squares in RH WW done already. It's a variegated called "artist print" - lots of blues, plums, etc. I think it will look great with jeans! That is, if I get to keep it - lol! My DD has a way of "latching onto" some of my more intriguing finished objects.

I plan to line mine and also to add a couple of pockets to the lining. I'm even thinking of adding a clip thingie up near the top of the lining so as to have a neat way to keep track of my keys, which of course love to hide in the bottom of the bag.

I'm squeezing this in between some other things I'm making, so it will probably take me a week or two.

But I'm so in!!!

mac+

Wow! I can't believe I found you all over here, working on this bag! I love the pattern and have three squares in RH WW done already. It's a variegated called "artist print" - lots of blues, plums, etc. I think it will look great with jeans! That is, if I get to keep it - lol! My DD has a way of "latching onto" some of my more intriguing finished objects.

I plan to line mine and also to add a couple of pockets to the lining. I'm even thinking of adding a clip thingie up near the top of the lining so as to have a neat way to keep track of my keys, which of course love to hide in the bottom of the bag.

I'm squeezing this in between some other things I'm making, so it will probably take me a week or two.

But I'm so in!!!

mac+

That sounds really nice Mary Ann,

Tena

Mary Ann, I was thinking of adding a crochet pocket for my cell phone. Usually I make a cozy and attach it to the strap, but saw a photo of someone's who had done this. I always add a key FOB to my purses. I always add an extra strap to my purses (just a chain of about 10 and then sc and then weave in the long ends through it and the side of the purse to secure and not tear). Because my store bought ones had to have a pocket just for keys or I would never find them:lol. I buy the key rings in bulk in the craft section so I have plenty for more purses:yes, then I have a clip I have all my keys attched to and can unclip them when I need them.

I am planning on lining my purse this weekend, I need some time to sew the pieces together and do the lining and I'll have time tomorrow, I'm sure. I'm usually off line on the weekends so hopefully Monday I'll have pics of my finished bag!

Debbi

Here is my first, made with Aunt Lydia's Baby Denim in white, yellow and green - I only did 12 squares, about 5" each - I think it's the perfect size...still have to weave in the ends and manage a lining - also iron the seams as I did a sc joining - will probably do a whipstitch on the next - which I already started last night! I am using Sugar and Cream twists - Faded Glory for the next - one skein made 7 squares with a size F hook and 4 rounds...will post pictures when it's done. :) I love this bag! :)

Haekelbeutel_01.jpg

That's pretty. Would you say it works as a purse or more of a bag. I want my to serve as my everyday purse and was thinking of doing 16 3.5 inch squares, but I wonder if 12 4-inch squares would be better?

quote=samijofitz;1346472]Here is my first, made with Aunt Lydia's Baby Denim in white, yellow and green - I only did 12 squares, about 5" each - I think it's the perfect size...still have to weave in the ends and manage a lining - also iron the seams as I did a sc joining - will probably do a whipstitch on the next - which I already started last night! I am using Sugar and Cream twists - Faded Glory for the next - one skein made 7 squares with a size F hook and 4 rounds...will post pictures when it's done. :) I love this bag! :)

Haekelbeutel_01.jpg

Here is my first, made with Aunt Lydia's Baby Denim in white, yellow and green - I only did 12 squares, about 5" each - I think it's the perfect size...still have to weave in the ends and manage a lining - also iron the seams as I did a sc joining - will probably do a whipstitch on the next - which I already started last night! I am using Sugar and Cream twists - Faded Glory for the next - one skein made 7 squares with a size F hook and 4 rounds...will post pictures when it's done. :) I love this bag! :)

Haekelbeutel_01.jpg

Cute! The colors are lovely!

That's pretty. Would you say it works as a purse or more of a bag. I want my to serve as my everyday purse and was thinking of doing 16 3.5 inch squares, but I wonder if 12 4-inch squares would be better?

I would call it a purse, it hangs just where I like them, not too big, not too small - I plan to line it and add either a snap or zipper, and I will be using it every day...during the summer at least. :)

I'm in! :yay I think this will be a much-used bag for my projects. :yes I have a question: how big are the squares? I started one, using Sugar & Cream Confectionary and only did 4 rows and the square was 4 & 1/4" across. It seems like if I do 5 - 7 rounds like the pattern says, it would be a huge bag! TIA

My squares are 6 inches (I crochet loose). I thought maybe it would make a nice project bag too if it ends up real big, which I think it will. I haven't finished it yet so I'm not sure how big it will be but I will measure it when I am. If I did another one I would do about 5" squares or less.

Debbi

Archived