Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL, Anyone???

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty! I'm getting so excited to make this bag, but I MUST finish that darn afghan first. I'm going crazy with ideas in my head for this one!

Joyce

Done in Peaches & Cream ww cotton with an I hook. Color is Desert Gold. trim and handles are done in natural.

th_desertgold2.jpg

Question to any and all.

:cheer

What size squares are you using? I have not seen the size mentioned.

This inquiring mind wants to know.

E1

Someone made the bag using the Circle of Friends 8" square but only used 12 squares instead of 16. I think it's in another thread that's linked somewhere in here. I'll find it for you.

From what everyone says in their posts, this is a very versatile pattern. You can just about make it with whatever you want.

Oh, me too! I just made one to try the pattern. I didn't know there was a CAL going! I used RHSS scraps from my stash in Buckeye colors. It does come out pretty big. Now I'm going to do one in cotton! It just took about 3-4 days for a casual crocheter.

I would love to join in and make one of these bags, but I'm trying to finish up a RR afghan right now. I have a question for those of you that have or are going to make yours from cotton yarn: Do you think the bag will shrink when it is washed? Whenever I've made cotton dishcloths, they shrink really bad and I wouldn't want that to happen to this bag. Even though it will be stretchy making it from acrylic, at least that wouldn't run the risk of shrinking...

I don't think it's shrink it all, to be honest. I have a market tote I made from Lion cotton last year and it's all kinds of stretchy. I wash it and dry it to make it go back to a non-giant size, which I haven't done in a while. Do you wash your dishcloths in hot? That may contribute. With the bag, with stuff in it, it does get stretchy

Joyce

I would love to join in and make one of these bags, but I'm trying to finish up a RR afghan right now. I have a question for those of you that have or are going to make yours from cotton yarn: Do you think the bag will shrink when it is washed? Whenever I've made cotton dishcloths, they shrink really bad and I wouldn't want that to happen to this bag. Even though it will be stretchy making it from acrylic, at least that wouldn't run the risk of shrinking...

Tristi, did you sc or whipstitch your bag together?

I sl st'd this one bag together. But I have done both sc and whipstitch on my other 2 bags and I think I prefer the whipstitch, I tend to weave in as I go if I am working with a needle already whereas if I am doing the slst or sc I have a ton of ends to weave in.. blah

I thought I'd share this here too.

000_5904.jpg

000_5905.jpg

Gorgeous! I now know JUST the yarn to use for the person I want to "elf"!

I started one of these before my wedding but haven't yet finished it. Now that I have time, I might pull it out and start again. I have 4 squares done, so far.

I am happy to report moderate progress on this I PICKED MY COLORS :clap

I remembered some pretty hand-dyed yarn I got from my Spring Secret Pal and decided to use that and coordinating colors. It's gonna be bright, but that's OK. Now I have to find a liner, and I may try to find some matching purple, but maybe not

th_DSCF0384-1.jpg

Joyce

I am happy to report moderate progress on this I PICKED MY COLORS :clap

I remembered some pretty hand-dyed yarn I got from my Spring Secret Pal and decided to use that and coordinating colors. It's gonna be bright, but that's OK. Now I have to find a liner, and I may try to find some matching purple, but maybe not

th_DSCF0384-1.jpg

Joyce

OOooo! I love those colors! I really want to start this, but we are in such a budget crunch right now that I can't even ask to buy new yarn. I will have to look through my stash a little and see if I have anything tolerable...but I doubt it. I am enjoying seeing everyone's progress, though! Lovely work!

Like many of you I'm in love, love, love with this bag! :manyheart I just came across this CAL and I'm excited to jump in, if that's okay! I started my first square last night and can't wait to see it all done! :clap

The more the merrier. It'll be fun to see everyone's bags come together.

Joyce

Like many of you I'm in love, love, love with this bag! :manyheart I just came across this CAL and I'm excited to jump in, if that's okay! I started my first square last night and can't wait to see it all done! :clap

I bet the green, yellow, white would look pretty!

I started the green, yellow and white last night, I have 6 squares done, doing 5 rows with and 5 hook and the Aunt Lydia's baby denim my squares are 5" long...it's going pretty quick, I am using the square pattern the bag calls for, but I can definitely see this working for pretty much any square! Will have to make some of these for Xmas gifts they work up pretty quickly - anyone want to volunteer to line them all for me? :) (JK)

How much yarn does does it take to make this bag?

Well I worked the cotton bag off a cone so I am not sure how much I used but weighed the bag and it was under 8oz. Just for fun I weighed my RHSS one and it was about the same. Could definitely be a scrap stash buster :clap

Really would depend on how big you want your squares to be, mine were 4 1/2 to 5 inches.

Wow. Love the colors and finished bags!

Well I've done all the squares. I started putting strips together. Today more weaving in ends and then sewing them together.

Mine is going to big BIG. I crochet loose and used G hook and my squares are 6 inches! I didn't measure until I was done (actually a few minuets ago). So mine will be a big bag. I just used it off the cone too, so I'm not sure how much yarn it takes, mine more of course.

Bag WIP - link to the pictures on my blog (direct link so you don't have to search;)).

Debbi

Archived