Tunisian entrelac baby blanket

Mollyanna

What kind of yarn did you use? WW? And describe the edge.

Thanks for asking.

I used baby yarn left over from some other projects. I have lost the labels, but I know they are all 100% acrylic and probably sport weight. If you look closely at the detail picture, you can see that the green yarn is just a bit heavier than the other two. The squares are slightly bigger. However, I don't think that is a problem. The overall pattern sort of absorbs the differences.

The edge is simply three rows of SC.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also wondering what kind of yarn you used. I assume something that's not too heavy, since the result is pretty thick?

Thanks for your kind words. I used some baby yarn (probably sport weight) that I had left over from other projects. The blanket is not as thick as it looks. The stitch seems to create that "pillow" effect on each of the squares. It's probably about the same weight as a solid SC piece would be.

I used this tutorial by Margaret Hubert:

http://journals.aol.com/mhdesigner1/MyHooksandNeedles/entries/2006/04/26/entrelac-crochet/129

The instructions are very clear and there are some good pictures go to with it.

Thanks for the link! :clap

AWESOME!!! I luv luv entrelac but have yet to try it - had you done tunisian crochet before or was this also your first time to do it??? What size hook did you use??

Thank you. I did an afghan in Tunisian many years ago, but haven't tried it again until now. This is the first project I have done in entrelac - I did 2 sample swatches first to get used to the stitch. I used a size J crochet hook with baby sport weight yarn.

Absolutely gorgeous! I have had some extra bernat baby softee yarn laying around forever, maybe I should give it a try...? I've never even heard of it, but I've definitely been looking for a new project =) Anyone have any sites that have free patterns that explain the steps well?

I used this tutorial by Margaret Hubert:

http://journals.aol.com/mhdesigner1/MyHooksandNeedles/entries/2006/04/26/entrelac-crochet/129

The instructions are very clear and there are some good pictures go to with it.

Thank you for the quick response. I looked at the tutorial and have a question I hope you wouldn't mind answering. the first step says "with col A ch required amount looslely" what is the correct amount?

Gumby, the required chain is a multiple of 10 plus 1. You need 10 chains for each diamond in a row, so 12 diamonds mean 120 chains, plus 1. I can't tell how many diamonds I have per row in mine by looking at the picture, and I have already given it away, but it is probably 12 or 13.

Proudmama, I read somewhere that entrelac is French for interlaced. The pattern looks kind of like it is made from strips of crocheting woven together. The look is more convincing in knitted entrelac, because the stitches go in opposite directions.

Gumby, the required chain is a multiple of 10 plus 1. You need 10 chains for each diamond in a row, so 12 diamonds mean 120 chains, plus 1. I can't tell how many diamonds I have per row in mine by looking at the picture, and I have already given it away, but it is probably 12 or 13.

The baby afghans I make I use 5 stitch squares too.

:cheer

that is a beautiful baby afghan .. love the look but it is sewing all those little squares that would get to me.. I did a granny type baby afghan for my second dd ages ago with all the tiny squares and said never again lol

Darlene

Archived