Haekelbeutel Bag (Adaption)

happy stitcher

Hi all!

Here's my adaption of the haekelbeutel bag first shared here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79809&highlight=haekelbeutel

Thanks Umme Yusuf!!

I used Peaches & Cream Cotton in Ecru.

I made bigger squares, so I only made 12 instead of 16. I used the Circle of Friends square by Priscilla Hewitt: http://members.aol.com/lffunt/circlefriends.htm

I left off the last two rows and ended after row 7. Then I added a row of sc around each square.

After I joined the squares, I realized that there were a lot of ends that would need to be hidden, and I hate ends.... so I just put a row of HDC around each strip to cover the ends. Much easier to stitch over them than to tuck them in!

After I joined the strips and had the bag in hand, I put a row of reverse sc around the top edge, made the handles out of HDC and reverse sc, and sewed the handles on.

Done! It came out more like a big hobo-bag instead of a deep tote, because the squares were bigger and there weren't so many of them.

I made it for the lovely lady who took care of my dog while I was out of town last week, and she really seemed to like it, so I guess that's what counts!

322523225.jpg

322523212.jpg

322523371.jpg

I love it! I think it's really interesting how the difference in the motif used changed the whole look of the bag! It's beautiful!

Thanks everybody!

I was really happy with it, even though it turned out so different from the original concept.

The squares are very textured, the ridges very pronounced, and the reverse sc really adds texture on the top. Since the cotton was so plain, I wanted to make up for it with detail.

The lady I made it for said she had been looking at some crochet bags in the store last weekend, and none were as pretty as this.

That made me feel very good! :manyheart

Thanks everybody!

I liked it so much myself that I just might make another one for ME! :lol

The pattern is so simple to follow. I really enjoyed making it, and I know I'll be trying other squares and color combinations in the future. I love seeing all the different designs that have been posted lately!

Archived