Appeal to threadies

amdm

Question

I have noticed that all thread crocheters in the USA use size 10 thread. Since that is unheard of here (India), I have never seen it. Now a good friend is going to the USA, and is willing to bring some back for me.

What I need to know :

Your favourite brand, and the weight, yardage and price per ball, and,

Is there any thread company's website she can have a look at?

I would really appreciate this information, since this is a long-awaited chance for me to see and use size 10 thread myself.

8 answers to this question

Go to Joann online at http://www.joann.com and select the crochet thread option. They carry many brands and give a lot of information regarding yardage, etc. Personally, I like working with size 3 thread, but have used DMC traditions Size 10 and like it, especially because the label says it is colorfast.

Currently, I am using Paton's Grace cotton sport weight yarn and love it (look under yarn at Joann. It's very much like size 3 thread. I just wish they had a larger color selection.

You can also get a lot of information about various brands of size 10 crochet thread at http://www.coatsandclark.com. Many brands are put out by them....Aunt Lydia's, etc.

Beverly

I have used many brands of size 10 thread...by far my favorite is DMC Cebelia..but it is pricey and not alot of yardage 282 yards for about $3. DMC Traditions is not mercerized so it fuzzzes when you work with it. South Maid is stiff. For most projects I use Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread it is mercerized so no fuzzing, it is pliable, comes in many colors, as many as DMC Cebelia, has 350 yds(320m) for between $1.89 to $2.49 per ball...i get mine locally but have ordered from Joanns , Herrschners , and Knitting Warehouse when i need a color not carried locally. Hope this helps

I agree with the others, DMC Cebelia is the best and I have found it to be the least expensive at Herrschners, I ususally use size 20 but have used/bought the size 10 also. If I am going to by other brand, I use Knit Crosheen but JP coats.. I think they have went back to mecerizing the Traditions but there are some left over that isn't...I would make sure whatever brand I bought was mercerized.. Good luck!!

The only reason I use 10 is because it is more difficult to find the old fashioned bedspread cotton. They are close in size but bedspread cotton is a bit larger. I also like size 20 and 30. Right now I have been using Aunt Lydia made by Coats and Clark from Wal-mart. There is 1000 yards in each ball for $3.24. It is a great bargain. Have you checked the herrschners online to see if they will deliver to India? There are a lot of good companies online that might deliver to you.

I cannot use the delivery option because of the dishonesty of the postal workers. No package mailed to me from abroad has ever reached me, even cards arrive with the stamps removed.

Archived