chenille4

How do you deal with pine needles?

Question

Hey everyone,

I'm working on this Christmas tree skirt way in advance...

and was wondering if anyone had made one before or could give me some suggestions.

It's made with Red Heart Super Saver, and I'm really worried about the pine needles sticking to or in the finished project and being impossible to get out. Does anyone have experience with this? Will it be a problem? Or is there anything I can treat it with to protect my work?

Thanks for your help and brilliant suggestions!

EDIT: I tried to post the pic from the linked-to page, but it wouldn't show. Click the link to see it.

Edited by chenille4

6 answers to this question

Oh that pattern is pretty! I fake tree so dont have pine needles!

WEll you could buy some clear plastic by the yard and put that over it while it is under the tree. Or, just get a fake tree!!

I have been a real tree person all my life, never have or will have a fake tree (other than for outside decorations) and I have never found a way to NOT have a pine needle problem.

The only way I can see to minimize the pine needles on a tree skirt is see if you can find a clear round tablecloth or table cover and cut a center hole and a slit in it and place it over the top of the skirt. Might even consider one on the bottom since needles have a tendency of finding their way to the under side.

Hopefully some day I will find the time to make a tree skirt. I've got the same pattern saved so maybe someday that will be the one.

:rofl:laughroll:rofl Sorry I thought this said how do you deal with pins and needles....Need more coffee :hook

I don't know if you would want to use it or even how it would work on crochet but you can buy an Iron On vinyl fabric. I used it once upon a year and it was very good on cotton fabric.

My mom made us a beautiful crocheted tree skirt 18 years ago for DH and my first Xmas together. Back then we did use a real tree. I always managed to shake the needles off it and still have that skirt and use it every year, even though we started using fake trees once the kiddies came. It shouldn't be that much of a problem.