teachers gifts...what can I make?????

cherrypicker

Question

the school year finishes in 5 weeks, I have completely run out of ideas as to what I can give my girls teachers this time round! they have had scarves,hats,bags,and bears.......some have had babies and they had blankets.....I am at a loss as to what to make! any ideas are really appreciated! :think

19 answers to this question

Both of the SIL's are teachers and they say kitchen items!

My one SIL says NO apples. She's been a teacher for 10+ years and and says she's gotten som many apple things that she doesn't like apples at all any more, lol!

I saw the pencil scarf pattern in here at one time, and thought it was really cute! I made two of them for my grandson for wall hangings, i made them wider and longer and in different colors. Then I decided that was so much fun I made him a pencil afghan. I just made like 5 pencils and sewed them together for a throw type blanket. He is only 5 so he loved it! I bet the teachers would get a kick out of something like that! (Wallhanging Pencil) Just a thought.

The pencil scarf sounds absolutely adorable. I haven't had time to read this whole thread but will later. If a link hasn't been posted can someone please post a link to purchase or to it if it is free. I think the drama teachers will love these for next winter as they teach English and Art too. I already found a piano scarf for the musical director.

These are all great ideas....but most of them are for women.....My son's favorite teacher this year is a guy!:think

Kitchen items could still be a good gift, especially if he likes to cook. Otherwise, you could go with the usual and make an afghan. Slippers are still a possibility as well, as are bags/totes.

I received crochet covered hangers as a gift when I was teaching. I got green and red for Christmas and the school colors for my birthday. Its been about 10 years ago now, but I still use them and think of the family!

Did anyone mention kitchen items like dishcloths, scrubbies, towel rings, or hotpads? That's what I'm making all the women in my family for Christmas this year. You can make sets in coordinating colors, or give them a variety of dishcloths in different patterns/colors. These items are usually very quick to crochet, practical, and cost effective. (The sets I'm making only use 2 skeins of Peaches and Cream cotton each!) You can see the beginning of one set I made here.

I made Fresh Air Market Totes (LEEBAH's pattern and available at her etsy's store http://heartandcomfort.etsy.com) for my daughter's preschool teachers for Teacher Appreciation Day and the teachers LOVED them! Each of the student's brought in a piece of fruit for the teachers to go intot the totes. The totes were quick and easy to make! They can be used for the pool, shopping, the library, etc. I used Peaches and Cream varigated yarn and they were lovely!

You can do a crochetville search and see pics of completed totes, I was in such a rush to give mine, I didn't take any pictures :(

How about something just for them, something outside of the classroom. Maybe a sunhat, a pair of slippers, a beach tote, flipflops that you jazz up, (you need to have an idea of shoe size) a cover for a paperback book, sachets for their clothes hangers, something like that. After listening to a few teachers, one who is a family member, they appreciate everything they receive but get overwhelmed with candles, goodies & teacher related gifts. The gifts that are just a bit more personal are the most appreciated.

thanks for the ideas......I thought I might have a go at a couple of these....

I like the idea of the coaster and mug gift.......I work in a school and most parents buy the teachers ( who are all ladies) mugs, candles,pot plants, chocolates and tins of cookies....I know the teachers really appreciate it if you take the time to make something special, I so admire the teachers at my girls schools, I really think that they are the most amazing people!

http://www.crochetme.com/issue_1/fun_flower_pillow.html

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who makes gifts for the teachers! This year I made my son's teacher a yellow plastic canvas basket with flowers on it, it was really pretty. In the basket I put a bird I made and some coasters. I always give a note too. I point out the things I like about the teacher, how glad I am that they have taught my son this year ect. You could make coasters and put them in a coffee cup with a hot cocoa packet, you could make bookmarks, you could make some towel toppers, if you do thread work you could make a nice edging on towels. That's about all I can think of right now. I hope that helps at least a bit.

I saw the pencil scarf pattern in here at one time, and thought it was really cute! I made two of them for my grandson for wall hangings, i made them wider and longer and in different colors. Then I decided that was so much fun I made him a pencil afghan. I just made like 5 pencils and sewed them together for a throw type blanket. He is only 5 so he loved it! I bet the teachers would get a kick out of something like that! (Wallhanging Pencil) Just a thought.

Archived