Help requested for brain surgery patients

Schmetterling

We've filled out all the paperwork for the state system yesterday--it's long of course. Thank goodness for the Internet. DH will drop it off Monday. Since I've been doing patient advocacy for the last several years I've referred countless patients to it but this is all a shock given the illegality of what has happened.

I also got the application online for utilities discounts. It's only a flat discount of $8, which is about a 5% discount where we live, but hey that would cover a few gallons of milk for the kids. We don't have a home phone, our cell is down to the minimum and gets a huge discount already, we keep the a/c at 80 and sweat, use the power company's Time of Use program. I grow our own vegetables. I don't know what else to do. Physically I can't adjust the a/c much more or I'll get sick more than it's already causing, with my brain stem compression I can't control my core body temperature well.

I have to make some calls Monday to see if there's any way they can get me back on Medicare earlier than December (I've been on SSDI for several years), maybe through any certain circumstances. It can't hurt to ask. I had Medicare for years. The worst they can say is no.

DH has an interview at Staples on Wednesday.

I'll update whenever we know anything. Thanks for prayers, thoughts, and info.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Keesha!

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you!! You and your family are in my prayers.

:hug:hug

Hi! Just found this thread (I'm a newbie and still trying to find my way around.) I would be honored to add a few hats to your project. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Also, I saw the request for used stamps on your blog and would like to donate tons -- huge bags of stamps. I used to do stamp collecting for kids and was given huge supplies of used stamps. If they are still needed I will send them. I have U.S. and foreign stamps. What a bonus to be able to clear out two different stashes with one great project!:clap

Please PM me with addresses. No need to hurry because I am always behind schedule:lol

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Shannon!

Welcome, Pam! I hope you have settled into at the Ville now and are feeling at home. That is fabulous about the stamps! If you want, I can you the address of the person in charge of the entire project, in that way cutting out the middle uh, woman LOL (me). Would that be ok?

I hear you about being behind schedule! I'm at home all the time and am still always behind! Now how that is even possible, I don't even know!

Take good care!

That is fabulous about the stamps! If you want, I can you the address of the person in charge of the entire project, in that way cutting out the middle uh, woman LOL (me). Would that be ok?

That would be great. You can PM me the address and I can start clearing out my basement.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and praying for you. Hope everything is looking up!:hug

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and praying for you. Hope everything is looking up!:hug

Thank you! Our household is hanging in there. We're adjusting to DH's job at the hardware store, which is sure a big change from his career in law enforcement. The lawsuits are proceeding as expected.

The kids are being really understanding, and I'm so grateful they're very responsible young people, having grown up with my situation. It's helping now more than ever. At 8 and almost-7 they fix their own breakfast and lunch every day, and take care of the clean up. Without the ability to run the air most of the time, which isn't comfortable in the Tucson summer shall we say, they spend a lot of time sitting in a shallow plastic tub of water in the backyard to keep cool. However if I fall asleep in the living room (where I spend my days), they know they must be indoors with the house locked until I wake up. Collin & Megs, DH & I take turns feeding the dogs, dividing dinner chores, etc.

It's all about team work and family, more than ever. So, we're getting through a day at a time. Not much other choice right? Keep on keepin' on!

I was in the hospital earlier this week after having a reaction to a new anti-seizure medication I was put on two weeks ago. The really lousy thing was it was the first med that showed any actual promise in decreasing my seizure activity. I was just getting really sick from day 1 and getting progressively worse, then Monday it hit a peak, I lost my hearing from all the whooshing noise from the pressure from my brain swelling up so badly, my body was covered in bruises, had a fever, was crying in pain, but was still trying to see if my own narcotics would help--they wouldn't of course. Early Tuesday morning enough was enough, when the vomiting hit, in I went. My kids both had to go in to have teeth extracted because adult teeth came in right on top of baby teeth but of course they didn't loosen the baby teeth whatsoever, there went $334 we didn't have right now. So anyway a friend came and took me in b/c I was still home throwing up while the kids were in, waiting on them to get done. So now I'm home, off the new med, back to the usual two dozen seizures a day. I'm really dragging but at least off that med. It's so frustrating I don't know where to start but at least I'm at home.

I will be glad to do some hats as soon as I do one more pair of mittens.

I have several skeins of Simply Soft, Please send your PM for mailing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks! Much appreciated! If I don't respond to a post please send me a PM. I am seeing here that I am not receiving any alerts that I am getting responses at this thread, and I am not here too often I'm afraid.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the bump! I appreciate everyone who has been so helpful in keeping this project such a success since its humble beginning.

For people who are new, please read the story of its start at the beginning of the post to understand why I started it (my story as a multiple brain surgery patient).

Here are some great patterns:

http://www.yarncat.com/Durango.html

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70732AD.html

http://naidascrochet.tripod.com/patterns/myguy.html

http://www.yarncat.com/MFH-Muriel.html

http://www.crochetme.com/belliveau-cove-gulf-shores

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/w...disonhat.shtml

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cancercaps.html

A great site is headhuggers.com

Thanks again everyone. Sorry I've not been around but if you are around my blog I know you are aware of the health & home stuff.

Hugs to all, best wishes to you and yours,

K

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I'll be unpacked and organized enough to make a few on Boxing Day. I'm working on several different sizes, but have to have one ready for my gransons noggin, he goes to Duke for evaluation for brain surgery on the 21st, and they're going to have to shave his head to do some testing.

• 1 month later...
My box is filling up quickly. I hope to send it in a couple weeks. Are there any recommendations for soap to wash the hats? I don't want to cause any irritations to anyone.

Personally I prefer fragrance free. You never know if someone may have issues such as multiple chemical sensitivities, eczema, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Help! A kind person in Pennsylvania recently sent a shipment of lovely hats for me to distribute to the hospitals. I don't know whom to thank though, as there was no return address on the package and no note or anything on the inside. If you live in a PA town starting with the letter "Y" (think that's what the blurry postmark says) and sent hats recently, please jot me a note. I just want to send a thanks and cyber hug, and let you know how beautiful your work is!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say hello and thank you to those who are helping with this project! It's making a great difference.

BTW apparently there is a nice person at this site who is helping out by providing my snail mail address to people who want to send caps my way so I can distribute them; unfortunately whomever it is didn't see my posts over a year ago about my move, so there have been some difficulties with lost and returned packages, packages that have had to be paid for twice because of redelivery, etc. If caps are being sent to me, please be sure the street address no longer involves that huge long name of a gemstone; the "new" street is a female's name. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I've been donating to the brain surgery/cancer ward at my local cancer centre and hospital since my father in law passed away from brain cancer.

my dad also had brain surgery when I was a kid, I recall the massive scar and the staples. (we took him trick or treating as frankenstein).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived