Help requested for brain surgery patients

Schmetterling

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cherri,

Wow! Thanks so much for your great help! The hats look beautiful. I did one today of the same pattern from headhuggers that you have at the top but in Caron SS Sage!

Have a great afternoon everyone!

Hi there Fran! I plan on doing this as long as I am physically able. I'm homebound due to progression and these types of projects really help me keep perspective not to mention knowing firsthand how comforted these caps make patients feel.

Honestly my only concern about novelty yarns is the possibility of causing any itching on the scalp if it's "tickly" or whatnot, know what I mean? I'm afraid of any possible scratching because of the incisions. But I think it'd be ok to use as trim, pompoms, etc.

One possibility would be having novelty/Fun Fur yarn caps on hand, and only sending them if I know they won't effect the incision by finding out what the surgery is for. (A lot of kids have ICP monitoring, shunt revisions, etc., and these often only have a couple of sutures.)

So in a nutshell I think it will be ok to use, since I will be speaking with patients who need caps and I'll only send what is appropriate. Surely there will be some out there who could wear these. You are right--they would be fun!

Again I'll be doing this for a long time, so no pressure or deadlines at all. Unfortunately there will always be neurosurgeries going on. :(

Well, I made my first cap last night....and it turned out HUGE! If the jolly green giant ever has surgery, I've got him covered! :lol He might not appreciate the rosy pink color though.

Gonna try frogging one row and seeing if that helps...I tend to crochet on the loose side, especially when using two strands. I really like the look of this hat though...just needs a little tweaking.

I really enjoyed making the hat....its the first wearable I've attempted and it turned out (fairly close to) great! :D

MellyBelly, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It sounds like it turned out great. Did you use a pattern (I love seeing hat patterns if you by chance you used a free one online!)

Have a great night, and thanks!

keesha could you pm me your addy hon i have a few hats done for ya and am working on a couple more hope to have at least 10 to send by payday thanbks for letting me help:hug:hug:hug

Thanks so much mythunderbird. I'll get my addy to you. :)

Kathy your sig line is a riot about sending in hooks! I'm glad Tim's hair grew back in quickly. Every time I have another brain surgery, it comes back slower and slower. I think though it's because parts of my brain are tangled up in scar tissue (I had post-op meningitis for 9 months after my first brain surgery) and it's got my thyroid rather wonky.

Thank you everyone again for your help!

Hi Everyone!

Keesha, I hope you are feeling as pain free and as good as can be expected on any given day. My Mom doesn't even ask how I feel anymore, she just says, "what number are you today". I have gotten so sick of that pain scale chart! On to better things.

I'm totally hooked on just making hats! Never knew I'd love doing them so much. I don't have a favorite pattern yet. Got my Mom hooked on them too, so she's been doing them for you too, Sweetie!

I send out to several charities that have touched my heart, so hubby likes me to have all my packages ready for one trip at at time.

I'm almost done with this month's boxes/envelopes, so you'll receive my first batch soon.

Have a happy crocheting day everyone!

The pattern I'm using is this.

Its really simple....I've made 2 adult hats and working on my second kids hat. Once I get it finished, I may try another pattern. I'm really enjoying making these hats! :yay

The pattern I'm using is this.

Its really simple....I've made 2 adult hats and working on my second kids hat. Once I get it finished, I may try another pattern. I'm really enjoying making these hats! :yay

Thanks for the link!

Yes, they are one of the hospitals that responded to my letter. I sent out more than 27. I'm still waiting on other responses in the US and more countries overseas. Bev and the others at Bev's Charity Challenge board were kind enough to offer to create a page on the Country Cottage site to help me with this project.

I noticed that Bev has an address for UI hospitals. (Go Iowa!) :)http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/neuro-caps.html

Okay, enough partisanship. Keesha, I'm still adding to my box. I'm so hooked on the Durango hat.

Thanks so very much!

Please remember if you want to send caps directly to a hospital, the following are the ones who have accepted the offer. Bev of Bev's Country Cottage was so kind as to create a page with the information I was given by the hospitals.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/neuro-caps.html

Have a good day everyone!

I'm so excited. One of my students finished her donation cap today. :cheerI am very proud of her. She is only 9 years old. She worked very hard on it. I put it with the caps I've made. This is quite the addictive project here! I love the soft yarn, and the quick progress. I am waiting for the cap my other student is making, then I'll be mailing a package to you. Here's a photo of her cap.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj217/basjordan/P1010027.jpg

:hugBeth

I'm so excited. One of my students finished her donation cap today. :cheerI am very proud of her. She is only 9 years old. She worked very hard on it. I put it with the caps I've made. This is quite the addictive project here! I love the soft yarn, and the quick progress. I am waiting for the cap my other student is making, then I'll be mailing a package to you. Here's a photo of her cap.

You should be very proud of her! She did a wonderful job :cheer

:cheer way to go Beth what an accomplishment for your student and for you! :cheer

Due to several doctor appts. and bad flares, :( along with 3 kiddo's to entertain and to get ready to leave for camp for 3 weeks (honeymoon time) :D

I'm running behind on getting all my 12" square donations (4 charities) and hats in boxes/envelopes to be mailed out. :mail They will get to UPS soon! :yes

I LOVE crocheting for charity!! :manyheart And now I have a shawl and lapghan to get done :hook so I can help a fellow ville friend make baby things for her DD. :crocheting

Life is good when you're so busy you forget your in pain! :devil

She did a great job!!!

Yikes! That's a lot of stuff to do! Make sure to not overdo it and take time for you ok?

Wowie, 3 week camp! Thankfully my kids go back to school in 2 1/2 weeks (but who is counting?) and hopefully I can get some rest again.

Take good care!

:cheer way to go Beth what an accomplishment for your student and for you! :cheer

Due to several doctor appts. and bad flares, :( along with 3 kiddo's to entertain and to get ready to leave for camp for 3 weeks (honeymoon time) :D

I'm running behind on getting all my 12" square donations (4 charities) and hats in boxes/envelopes to be mailed out. :mail They will get to UPS soon! :yes

I LOVE crocheting for charity!! :manyheart And now I have a shawl and lapghan to get done :hook so I can help a fellow ville friend make baby things for her DD. :crocheting

Life is good when you're so busy you forget your in pain! :devil

My step-daughter has been visiting from KY last week and this week, so we've been busy! But, I've got 5 hats finished - just need to wash them and get them in the mail. Keesha, I can send these directly to you OR I can send them to one of the hospitals you have listed. If you want them send to one of the hospitals, do I need to include a note or anything? Let me know what you prefer - just PM me your address if you want me to send them to you. :D

Archived