Humble Wanna-Be Scrumbler

Janie

I really would like to try freeform crochet. I just recently became acquainted with it while surfing the net looking for crochet patterns (go figure!). Anyway, I hope I don't seem to be a complete dope...but I must admit, this is really new to me and I AM CLUELESS! OK: When one is scrumbling, is it ok to actually know what you want it to be before you start? For instance, if I want to try freeform and use it to make a shawl, would I then go ahead and make the shawl using the freeform crochet? Or, should one just begin scrumbling and keep adding until you decide what it would best be used for? I hope those ?'s make sense. I eagerly await replies on this one! :?

I really would like to try freeform crochet. I just recently became acquainted with it while surfing the net looking for crochet patterns (go figure!). Anyway, I hope I don't seem to be a complete dope...but I must admit, this is really new to me and I AM CLUELESS! OK: When one is scrumbling, is it ok to actually know what you want it to be before you start? For instance, if I want to try freeform and use it to make a shawl, would I then go ahead and make the shawl using the freeform crochet? Or, should one just begin scrumbling and keep adding until you decide what it would best be used for? I hope those ?'s make sense. I eagerly await replies on this one! :?

The nice thing about Freeform crochet is that there are no rules. If you want to make a specific project, you can, but you don't have to. This is a great opportunity to let your creativity run free. You may start with a shawl and end up with a pocket book... and that's perfectly fine. Have fun and be sure to share the final project with us!

Maribel

When I started my first freeform project, all I knew was that I wanted a piece to hang on my living room wall. I didn't know where I wanted it to go from the beginning, but it really turned out nice!

Like the pp said, the beauty of freeform is letting the work take you where it wants to go. You'll usually be pleasantly surprised where it ends up. Also, you'll know when your piece is done.

Another thing: if you really want to make a shawl, you can draw out a pattern (the size and shape you want it) and make scrumbles to fit the pattern. Pin the scrumbles together until you're satisfied with the result, then sew, crochet, or knit them together for your shawl.

You can also do it without a drawn pattern and work directly on your scrumble as you go. That's the approach I took with my wall hanging. You can see the progress of my piece here.

One more thing to consider: don't feel you have to work on a freeform piece from start to finish. You can pick it up when the mood suits you, or you can work on it start to finish. Don't forget to have fun!! Hope this helps! :)

Thanks everyone for the great advice and info..I do love the look of the scrumbles. It reminds me so much of Crazy Quilts, which I also adore the look of, but have never done! I will definitely post some pics when I have something. I'm new here and haven't posted any pics, nor do I yet have a blog. I'll work on getting some pics posted soon. I SO enjoy looking at everyone else's projects.

I love freeform crochet and knit and have recently finished a shawl. When I made the pieces for it I knew what I wanted it to be. But several of my other peices have evolved over time. I have a pic of my shawl in my blog 4-6-05 post http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/blog/index.php?cat=1I also have pics of my other freeform items on my website here

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/freeform.html

just have fun with it at first, your piece will tell you what it wants to be.

marlo

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com

Marlo, I'm so glad that you replied to my post. Yes, I had allready seen some of your freeform projects. I have a bit of insomnia and look at all of these beautiful projects in the middle of the night, often when I am too tired to comment. :yawn

I just recently signed up for your newsletter and I am a frequent visitor to your site. Your shawl is very pretty and I absolutely LOVE the bags and hats. For some reason I just think freeform is perfect for bags! I think that is what I will make first. Who knows? You all have inspired me to get going on this. :hook So much to crochet and not enough hours in the day! thanks

Archived