Making hook handles bigger

SassyCMA06

I'm embarking on (to me) the intimidating journey of thread work. I've used the steel hooks in the past on a couple of bookmarks and find them impossible to control. I think it would be much easier if the handles were bigger and fit my hands better. Instead of going out to buy ones with bigger handles, I thought I could using Fimo clay to build up the handle (I think its Fimo).

My question is this- will I melt or harm the thin steels when I heat them in the oven to cure the clay? :think Its been a while since I've done it (its was used on an H hook before), but I think it was a low heat oven for a short period of time.

just read on cpc tips n tricks where this lady Tracy B wraps clay around her hooks and then bakes them according to man directions on the pkg. I really think that steel hooks would do fine in the oven . not the plastic ones you might have mess:lol

I did my hooks with the air dry clay (Crayola I think). I put the clay on starting at the flat area, made it a little longer than the hook, squeezed it for the finger area and then let dry. It takes awhile due to the thickness - maybe 3 to 7 days or so. Then I decorated with markers and added the hook size. Then I coated it with clear fingernail polish. I am really happy with mine.

Here's a felted hook handle instruction. This seems to make a slightly softer, possibly more comfortable cover...

http://www.graftonfibers.com/feltedhookhandle.htm

:day What an ingenius idea!! I've had to put away my steel hooks due to Arthur Itis in my thumbs and wrists. I think this may solve my need for steel!

Sassy this is one of many I have done in Polymer clay.

help2 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

The picture of the handle isn't very clear. But just showing it so you know you can bake them. The temp you use is so low. The only problem I found was that after using awhile the handle might slip some. But a dab of white glue or hot glue will fix that.

Brenda

I used a fat sponge for my hook. The sponge is about 1.5" - 2" square by 4" long. I poked the hook through the middle of the sponge, then wrapped a bit of that grippy stuff that you use as drawer liners or whatever around it really tight to make it round, then wrapped that with thread to keep it on. It's working out GREAT. I played with different sizes of sponges and so forth. I was DESPERATE to find something that I could use. I learned to crochet 26 years ago and crocheted constantly, until between that and my keyboarding job my doctor said I had a mild case of carpal tunnel syndrome. I changed jobs and quit crocheting for a long time and recently picked it up again and am LOVING it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I read in a book about wrapping duct tape around the handle over and again - this has the advantage that you can keep adding till you find the thickness that is comfortable for your hands :)

Archived