Tweaking a ripple design....?

mellybelly

Question

I have been working on one of Stitchinpick's Quickie Ripple afghans. And BOY OH BOY do I LOVE IT!

Stitchinpick's Quickie Ripple Pattern

A co-worker wants me to make her a blanket/throw, and I know she LOVES UT sports, whose colors are orange and white. Do ya'll think this design would look as good using two colors? Personally, I think the simplicity of it in one color is what makes it so pretty.

I guess the reason I'd like to try the two colors on this pattern is purely selfish....its alot of fun and I enjoy making it, and I can actually GET IT RIGHT :lol. So, I'd feel better giving it as a gift because I know I can make it well, without mistakes.

If I were to make it with two colors, would I make an even number of rows in each color, or stagger them? (I know, its painfully obvious that I have little experience at ripples.) For instance, would I work say, 6 rows of white, then 6 rows of orange or would it be better to work 8 rows of orange and 4 rows of white, etc?

I'd appreciate any suggestions/opinions! :)

9 answers to this question

I usually do even stripes, I have seen some very pretty afghan done in uneven stripes. My suggestion is to play with the colors and se what you like best. Another thought is ... You have to use two strands of yarn... You could always do one white and one orange held together!

I did this exact pattern with 4 colors of caron simply soft. Mine was made to fit a toddler bed so not as big as the original but it worked great with colors. I laid the skeins out side by side to play with how I wanted it. Most ripples I have see on peoples couches are done with a few shades of colors. Mary

2406773760035973728S200x200Q85.jpg

:) Thanks! I may just buy the two colors, then play around with it. I could do a few rows with one strand of each color. I had thought about that also, but was afraid it might look too 'busy'. I guess I really shouldn't worry about it because the person I'm making it for LOVES bright colors and would probably like it no matter what. Maybe I should even throw in a row of black between colors to give it a little pop?

:yay YARN STORE, HERE I COME!

I've seen some where the no. of rows are increased then decreased, ex..2 rows white, 2 orange, 4 white, 4 orange, 6 white, 6 orange, 4 white, 4 orange etc... I'm sure your friend will love it no matter what you come up with just because you made it.

While I've never done a ripple myself, I do think that I like the ones done with stripes. People have provided some good ideas with trying out stripe patterns. I thought that I would share a link I found along my web travels. It generates random stripe patterns based on colors you select and the stripe widths.

Once you put those in and hit generate you get a display and a written list of colors and rows in order. Best part is, you can refresh your screen over and over until you get a pattern you like!

I love it!

http://www.kissyourshadow.com/stripe_maker.php

Have fun!

Black would be great!! I would do the first row in black, 6 rows of orange, 1 black, 6 white, 1 black and so on!!! I think it will be pretty!! let us know what you decide

I was going to suggest this! Also, another variation on the changing the width of colors throughout the afghan is this:

10 orange, 2 white, 8 orange, 4 white, 6 orange, 6 white, 4 orange, 8 white, 2 orange, 10 white

Or whatever you needed to make it long enough. I did this with a scarf and LOVED how it looked!

Oh, just thought of this, but you could still add the 2 rows of black inbetween the orange and white!

Archived