Terry Kimbrough Baby Afghans

LondonLaura

Question

Okay, so it's not good when you have a problem BEFORE you start the project, but I'm sure you ladies can help me out! :yes

I'm totally chuffed because I just bought the Kimbrough "Best of Baby Afghans" book. Can't wait to get started. But...

1) The patterns all seem to call for Sport Weight Yarn and an H-5mm hook. Isn't that a very big hook for that sort of yarn? For the yarn and gauges she's given I'd be thinking it's UK Double Knit yarn an F-4mm hook.

2) I like the Sweet Dreams pattern, but I see in previous threads people have said it came up small. I'd be happy for it to be smaller than stated, but HOW small?

3) I also like the Exquisite, but again, a few people have said there were problems working the border. Is it easy enough to work out? I'm not as accomplished as some of you....

I'm going tomorrow to buy yarn, and I'd like to get a good yarn as it's a special blankie. But I don't want to splurge on the wrong yarn.

I guess I'm looking for any advice/experience on what yarn you used, what hook, how the instructions worked up and the finished sizes. Not asking for much then! :lol:blush

I know there's several of you who have worked her blankies, so I'm appealing to you for your wisdom! :hug

Thanks so much,

Laura

9 answers to this question

Hi Laura!

How funny--I'm working on the exquisite right now. I've made it before and even cannabalized the border only for other projects. I haven't had a problem with the border but it does require careful counting as you go. I think you can do it.

I've made the Sweet Dreams too, but I can't remember how big it came out.

As for the sport weight, I have often substitued a less stiff worsted weight (like Caron Super Soft) for the sport weight with an H hook (I'm doing this for one of the ones I'm working on now) and it's come out only a bit bigger than the pattern size. We live in cold Ohio and I like a little heavier yarn. I think if I'd went with a RH it would've been too thick and stiff and scratchy. I also think you could use the sport weight with a H hook, it would probably just make for an airier stitch. If you have a particular yarn in mind you could always do a swatch with an H hook and an F hook and see what the measured difference is. You might have to adjust your pattern to get the size you want and that can be a real challenge when you're working with a "critical count" border like the Exquisite.

There, that probably doesn't help you at all! :lol

Good luck!

Colleen

Thanks for the info Colleen, that's ever so helpful. From reading old threads I'd got worried there was a problem with the actual pattern for the Exquisite border - it's good to know it's more a matter of counting carefully. Which might be enough to put me off for life LOL!!

I know hook size can vary depending on the desired result, but I just couldn't get my head round such a big hook for baby yarn! Using an H hook with worsted yarn like you did, well that makes sense. I did a swatch from the Exquisite pattern, using Double Knit (similar to your sport weight) and an F hook and it was close to the gauge given. Now I don't crochet THAT loosely, so I was left scratching my head.

Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful :)

Laura

I haven't made "Sweet Dreams" but I've done "Exquisite". I used Caron Simply Soft (about 4 skeins, 6 oz each) and an "H" hook. I don't remember having trouble with the border. I actually still have the picture, here it is:

th_Exquisite.jpg

I don't know how well you can see the detail here, but here are a couple closeup shots of the Exquisite border. This is a competition blanket for me and the edge is beaded so it may look slightly different, but just to show you, it can be done! This was worked up in a Caron SS worsted (#4).

pic?id=5490riuOQ5BDyJX5xAhydcm9atEvbMqdd5Zo&size=m

pic?id=5490riuOQ5BDyJX5xAhydcm9arQG23WzErsK&size=m

Good luck! Happy crocheting! :cheer

Colleen

Your blanket truly IS exquisite Cheryl, thanks for sharing.

And thanks also for the info. I wonder why she says sport weight and all the threads here seemed to use worsted weight, with the H hook. Was your gauge the same as for pattern or does it come out much bigger?

I'm used to having yarn sub problems, but here I was thinking with a blanket it would be easy! Especially as we DO have an equivalent yarn to your sport weight.

If I'm confused now, I'd be totally lost without all of you, so big thanks for the help :)

It's not till August, but here's hoping! :D

Isn't it so cool--you're in London and I'm in Ohio in the cornfields and we're both doing the same pattern?!?! I LOVE this website!:yay

Colleen

And thanks also for the info. I wonder why she says sport weight and all the threads here seemed to use worsted weight, with the H hook. Was your gauge the same as for pattern or does it come out much bigger?:)

To be honest with you, I can't remember (I'm lucky I remember my name :lol). I don't remember it being too big or small, though. Yeah, that was a big help. :think:)

Colleen, I agree with you, it's really neat to think we can all link up. And this forum is tremendous, it's the best forum I've found for ANY topic.

Cheryl (just in case you forget LOL), I always say I have one brain cell looking for a friend, so I know just how you feel if you can't remember the detail of something!

Thanks again girls :)

Archived