I hate chains!

MrsLewis907

Question

I'm still a novist crocheter...I taught myself about last October how to crochet, and it's been an on-again/off-again hobby. I have managed to finish quite a few small projects, including a few scarves, a RR, and a baby (one large) granny square blanket.

I am now currently working on another baby play blanket...and it's my second time ripping it out...but only because the first time I changed the colors, and this time because it was too long. But looking at it as I'm ripping it, the chain is shorter than the rest and makes the edge of the blank like a curve.

I'm FOREVER having problems with my chains, I find them so difficult! I have a hard time easily crocheting the initial row into the chain, and then most times I also have a problem with it being shorter than the row, resulting in that curve. It's frustrating! :angry I've heard that I can prevent that, some, with chaining in the next larger size hook, and then switching back down for the first row, and I'll try that when I finish ripping this one, and restart it once again. But does anyone else have any tips for me when I begin a chain/new project to make it go somewhat easier for me? :think

17 answers to this question

You could also try using a larger hook for your chain, then going down one size for the first row. BTW, I've crocheted for years and I still find it tedious and tiring to work the first row into the chain.

Good luck, keep at it, it'll get easier and congratulations on your twins!:c9. Are they your first?

Katie :hook

What she said!

That is a good video. I looked at her website and she has quite a few videos on there.

Yeah, I love her videos, I hope she makes more advanced ones too!

:hook

I did use the next larger hook for the chain, and it worked much better...it's a lot easier for me to work into for that first row. I'm just going to have to stop being so lazy and do that from now on! :D

Thanks for all the help and suggestions though! I may still try and learn those foundation chains, but it just confuses the heck out of me (then again, I've not yet REALLY sat down and really tried to figure it out, or attempted it...maybe one day).

The video above is 100-times easier to follow than the picture tutorials to me. :cheer I understood in 2 plays of the video where as 20-30 minutes of trying to follow the picture tute did me no good what-so-ever. :hook

:manyheart Chas;

I did use the next larger hook for the chain, and it worked much better...it's a lot easier for me to work into for that first row. I'm just going to have to stop being so lazy and do that from now on! :D

Thanks for all the help and suggestions though! I may still try and learn those foundation chains, but it just confuses the heck out of me (then again, I've not yet REALLY sat down and really tried to figure it out, or attempted it...maybe one day). crochethook.gif

I nearly always use a larger hook for the foundation chain. It's much easier and no one will know you did after the project's done. :wink

I actually hate chain/foundation rows too.:angry

I crochet loose enough, but it takes me forever to do my frist row and I've been crocheting for a long time. I just figure it's part of the process. Sometimes if an afghan has over 200 chains, I'll see if there's another one I can do instead:lol. So I rarely do any lengthwise, unless it uses a larger hook or 2 strands and doesn't have very many chains.

Debbi

I always crochet in the back loop/bump of my chain, it's easier to me and it leaves a nice uniformed finished edge of V's just like the last row will look.

I second, third, fourth that idea of a larger hook for the starting chain. I found that really helpful. Now I use the same hook throughout but do my starting chain loosely, but when I was a total beginner the starting chain always came out too tight to work into.

Also, experiment to find which part of the chain you can work into most easily - the bottom loop, the top two loops etc. Each method gives a slightly different finish, so make sure you always do it the same way!

But I think it remains a bit of a pain doing that first row, so you're not alone! I'm always glad to get it out the way. In fact I'll often do my starting chain and first row as a mini project in itself, kind of get it out the way, then when I'm ready I can sit and start the project for real!

I used to despise the chain row too - I realized, as Aggie May said, I was holding my yarn too tight & it made my chains too tight. I loosened up & it has made a world of difference.

I have been teaching my daughters to crochet & with them I just give them a size larger hook for the chains & then go down a hook size for the next row. Both of them tell me it's super easy that way.

You could also try using a larger hook for your chain, then going down one size for the first row....and congratulations on your twins!:c9. Are they your first?

I am going to try this when I restart my blanket...I've just been lazy and not doing it on my latest projects, but it looks like I may have to.

And yes they are our first...they'll be born just before our 1st anniversary! :rock We are having a boy and a girl. :clap

curell5 - Thanks for the reply, but I don't think either of those things is my problem. I only put one stitch into each chain, it's just getting my hook in there is not an easy task...I *think* maybe I chain too tightly, and that is what makes it shorter. It just seems to take FOREVER to get the first row down, working into the chain...after that I am fine, but I hate working that first row into the chain.

I'll have to look into that info for foundation stitches...I've heard of it before, but just figured it'd be easier to stick with what I "know" and do the chains, but if it makes it easier and better for me, I'm all for it! Thanks for the links!

You could also try using a larger hook for your chain, then going down one size for the first row. BTW, I've crocheted for years and I still find it tedious and tiring to work the first row into the chain.

Good luck, keep at it, it'll get easier and congratulations on your twins!:c9. Are they your first?

:cheerPractice your chain, with a medium hook and yarn and just make hundreds until you can make them even and loose enough to easily put the hook into for your first row.

You may be holding your yarn too tightly too which will cause the chain to be tight.

I use a very simple hold, without wrapping the yarn around my fingers, as I see others do, and I have no problems with my chain.

Mind you, I have been able to crochet for almost 60 years now.

:thinkThere is another reason your chain may appear to be narrower than the top of your work, you may not be SKing the correct numbers of CH on your first row.

The number of CH should equal the number of stitches completed in the row.

There may be some exceptions to this but this is a general rule.

Let me know if you need more specific help with the actual pattern you are making.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

curell5 - Thanks for the reply, but I don't think either of those things is my problem. I only put one stitch into each chain, it's just getting my hook in there is not an easy task...I *think* maybe I chain too tightly, and that is what makes it shorter. It just seems to take FOREVER to get the first row down, working into the chain...after that I am fine, but I hate working that first row into the chain.

I'll have to look into that info for foundation stitches...I've heard of it before, but just figured it'd be easier to stick with what I "know" and do the chains, but if it makes it easier and better for me, I'm all for it! Thanks for the links!

Foundation stitches eliminate the need to make a starting chain; instead, you create the chain and the sc (or dc, etc.) at the same time. some online info:

http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/43642.html

http://www.weirdmirror.org/instruction/trbsch.htm

http://serendipity.gpvm.com/no_chain.html

Also there was a really good article showing how to do it in Spring 07 Interweave Crochet magazine, if you have access to that.

This method has really helped me with my beginnings!

I started to crochet around the same time that you did. I had a horrible time with chains until about a month ago. Someone recommended to me to chain a few extra and whatever was unnecessary, I could just undo later. That helped me with "running out of" chains. I think the problem you are having is another one that I was having in addition to the other. I was crocheting into one chain more than once. It took me a long time to figure out what part of the chain was the "right" part to put my hook into. I taught myself how to crochet off the internet. I had to find someone (a very patient someone) to show me the right place. Try to find someone who can help you. Or, you could go to youtube and try to find a good demonstration. I just discovered youtube and have learned a whole lot of new knit and crochet techniques. Good luck!!

Archived