Why do you crochet?

It is my pain killer, boredom fighter, and an excuse to go up to the den so I don't have to watch DH's hunting, fishing, war and horror shows.

Also a great money saver for Holidays and other events. With a family as large as mine, every penny counts, especially nowadays...

Additionally nothing is greener that recycling old items, like yarn, material and other crafty items...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I enjoy it, & watching it take form.

2. I like giving gifts to people that I made with them in mind

3. I can spend time with hubby while he watches tv & not be bothered by what's on.

4. Keeps my old mother's thumb at bay.

5. Connects me with my passed on relatives.

6. Puts me in touch with other crocheters, like the ones on here.

7. Lets me give back something to my community, by making hats, mittens etc for kids/families

8, Lets me "zone" & think some problems through.

But basically, it's all about me & the accolades I hear when someone gets something I've made for them. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I started out doing counted cross stitch. When the first baby arrived CCS had to be put aside because toddlers get into everything and needles can be bad things in a toddlers hands! It is also very difficult to put down and pick up CCS, it takes too long to find your place again.

When second son was due I was a SAHM and watched too many craft shows on Discovery! Carol Duvall had a segment on crochet (at that time all I knew was how to do a chain). Well, crochet is easier to stop and start. And ... after stopping and much later starting and stopping etc. I found the Prayer Shawl Ministry web site and I haven't stopped crocheting since.

Well, I have found that giving away my shawls to friends and family and Hospice (and lapghans through soldier's angels for the VA nursing homes) is very satisfying.

One recipient of a prayer shawl told me it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her.

Anyway, this is too long but I like to accomplish tasks and I love to give away what I have made. I use my time-talent-treasure to give to others and that makes me happy.

• 3 years later...

Archived