Why do you crochet?

Wow....I couldn't imagine "NOT" crocheting! :no I even keep a skein of yarn in my locker at work! :yes Whenever I have to hang around and wait on a late aircraft or truck, it gives me something to do. I simply LOVE IT! :D

I must admit, I do have an understanding husband. He can spend all day doing wood work, but he also likes to draw. It's been many a time he's spent hours bent over his drawing table. Plus, he has his own special "blankie" I made for him. :crocheting

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I crochet for lots of reasons. 1. Because I'm the only one in my family that can. I was adopted by a family that shouldn't be allowed to adopt even a gold fish! I always feel a connection to my birth mother [even though I have no idea of who she is/was] because I figure I have to had got my creativity from somewhere! 2. I like it when people see what I've made and they say "YOU MADE THAT????" 3. It's a way for me to give a piece of myself to others. 4. I can't stand to just sit still and watch tv and that's about all our family can afford right now lol. I just love being able to be creative and make others happy because it makes me happy in the process.

I agree with all of yalls answers!! I love to crochet, or knit (is that an ugly word on "crochetville"? I do it cause i love it! a gift to the appreciated receiver is the best feeling in the world. I also love the hard patterns, cause they challenge me, I get determined, to figure it out. My Grandmom taught me to crochet, and she is amazed at the stuff I do that she wont even attempt! She could do it if she wanted to! My new thing is to listen to books on CD and crochet when there is nothing to watch on the TV.

Crochetting is an obsession! i think too!!

Guest Catlizg

I crochet because I can! No one in my family crocheted but I do remember a grandmother tatting lace. I picked it up 5 years ago. I had a friend who had owned a yarn shop and in the midst of the fun fur scarf craze I tried it. I discovered I liked what knitting produced but not the act of knitting itself. Found a hook for 99 cents and it has been love ever since. It relaxes me and I just love being able to make so many things for other people; it's versatility is amazing. And....the best bonus....making friends here.

I have a couple reasons that are related to one another I guess.

I am pretty much homebound due to 14 surgeries with multiple on my brain and spine. They haven't gone well. I do charity crocheting every day (provided I have enough yarn, I was able to get some on Freecycle a few months ago) for the local NICU where my 5 year old daughter stayed, and for the domestic violence shelter and for needy school kids. It helps me keep perspective that I'm not alone in going through difficulties.

I have two small children 15 months apart and I hate the fact I can't be the mom I used to be, so active and physically involved in everything. I don't want them remembering me as someone who sat and was miserable. I want their memories of me to be positive, and that though I had to sit in one place most of the day, I spent that time trying to help others. Crochet provides that opportunities.

Another reason is my grandma who helped raise me and is now gone, taught me when I was around 6. She called us the happy hookers (yes at that age LOL). She was such a big part of my life.

I feel that I am a frustrated artist -- and crocheting and knitting give me an outlet. I may not have an out of the womb talent for either, but I have learned skills and I'm generally satisfied with, and proud of, my finished products. Also, there's that "love" factor....making something with your own hands for someone you care for...what could be better than that?

When I saw this post a lot of people had already said many of the things I would have said too. Stress relief, fun, etc.

But lately, there is a bigger reason. I have been making things for senior citizens and it has be extremely fullfilling! A lot of senior don't have people who check on the a lot, and when I drop something off or send something in the mail it really makes their day.

I had send some dish clothes in the mail a couple days ago and I got the nicest phone call this evening thanking me for them. She was having such a rough day and when she got the package in the mail today she said it lifted her whole day, and how much it ment for someone just to be thinking of her, and it was something so small.

It's the best feeling in the world! It's the best reason for me to crochet!

• 4 weeks later...

I mostly crochet to relax (which my husband does not understand either!!) but I also crochet when I'm bored and I enjoy making blankets for project linus (feel like I'm doing something good for the "world")

I do it for relaxation as well. I find it calms me down after a cahllenging day. Which is pretty much every single day here with a 19 month old and a 3 year old.

WOW - well I crochet mainly just because I LOVE to crochet. My Mum taught me when I was about 8 and I have crocheted more or less ever since. I am not a brilliant crocheter but I so enjoy it. I find it really relaxes me. Originally I would have made granny afghans, poncho, berets and dolls clothes. Then when I had my own children baby things and blankets. I made a christening shawl for my first child and everyone seemed to like it and people kept requesting me to make things and it spiralled from there. In many ways crocheting helps define me as a person - Karen crochets - she makes lovely blankets - such a compliment! I think I am a product crocheter - I love to see the end result and give it to the recipient. I now mainly make personalised afghans and people are contacting me saying they have seen my work and they love them (quite embarassing cos I know they are only average when I see all the fabulous work on the 'Ville). I dont know what I would do if I couldn't crochet - now thats a whole differnet topic!

Like all of you I crochet for fun, for the recognition, for relaxation, for my sanity. I think my hubby finally understands that I NEED this to get me through the rough times with fibromyalgia. My sister and my best friend both have it also and the hubby has made comments about the fact that they need hobbies like I have - he says it would help them calm down, relax, not stress out so much about their pain and fatigue. I agree, I have tried to suggest that they find something that would help them to be able to forget their complaints - doesn't have to be crochet, could be anything relaxing to them, but they don't listen. We may not understand each other, but we still love each other and support each other anyway.

I will stick with my crochet!!!!!

• 1 month later...

It's relaxing and challenging at the same time. It gave me something in common with my mother-in-law and has brought me closer to my grandmother. I like showing off what I make :D (I know, modest of me).

The Reasons Why I Crochet:

1. I don't have any friends (other than my great crochetville friends) or any kind of social life(unless crochetville counts) so crochet keeps me busy.

2. I also love to create so without crochet I wouldn't have much to create.

3. Crochet is something that my grandma taught me and because of crochet we've always had a pretty strong bond.

Julee

Hi all

I agree with you all i love too crochet

i make afghans for people at church they love them

i make baby blankets and outfits to go with them

i love too give people things like that and it dose make me feel good too give i taught my self to crochet

none of my family crochets but they like what i give them i stared crocheting in 1980 i'm 48 now and have lots of health promblems. i have diebets and i have a brain tummer that they can;t fix. sorry this so long

love you guys annie

I crochet because I love to see if I can create things. When I see a pattern I like, then that is all I can think about until I have attempted it. The only problem I seem to have is when I am almost done with a project, I am searching all over for another patern to create. It drives my kids nuts. My passion is purses... LOL

All of the answers already given apply to me.

Relaxation, the challenge of a new pattern, the amazement from others, the appreciation of a home-made gift, it's fun to create things, etc.

But I also tend to consider that I'm leaving something behind. Afghans can last ages if properly cared for. Crocheted names may be passed down from generation to generation.

I have hot pads and an afghan that my Grandmother knit. They're special to me, and I hope that someday my creations will be special to somebody else - not only for their incredible beauty ;) but also just because I made them. :manyheart

Hi there, what a great question. I'm sure there are as many answers as crocheters! I crochet because it's calming and soothing. The end product doesn't matter to me as much as the process of working on it. Although I'm always happy with the finished product, I could crochet and endless blanket just for the sake of having something to work on. I love the meditative nature of crochet, it's truly mesmerizing to watch your hands and the yarn make the same repetitive movements, it allows your mind to wander and give thought to things you'd otherwise be "too busy" to think about. It's just a bonus when you give a finished project to someone and they love it. I also love the connection to past generations and simpler, less electronic past times. I love how quiet it is, how few tools you need, how inexpensive it can be :wink, and how portable it is. I have a lot of other hobbies, but I can work on my crochet at the computer, in the car, in between loads of dishes, or in bed if I feel like it. It still amazes me that all I'm doing is making a bunch of knots but it somehow turns into something functional or wearable, how great is that? :yes:yes:yes

Well honestly, I used to play with my grandma's crochet hooks all the time I figured if I had her teach me I'd have a legitimate excuse to touch them. LOL! I'm such a loser.

ANYWAY, I find that crocheting clears my mind when I get little things that bother me and sort of nag at my mind. I can clear all those types of thoughts out of my head and just get lost in a project.

I also always wanted to make stuffed animals and now I can. They don't always turn out perfect but I love them anyway. It's also nice to know that anytime I splurge on a new electronic gadget I don't have to pay for a case for it because I can just make one :D

Let's see, what else. I love giving people presents but I don't have a whole lot of money but I've got a lot of time so I can make things for people. I give most of what I make to my boyfriend, but I make things for my friends and family too.

I find I'll go a few months sometimes without crocheting anything at all either due to back/shoulder problems or just a lack of interest (or it's too hot to mess with yarn!) but I love that it's always there to pick up whenever I feel like it.

Archived