Please share your VERY FAVORITE shawl pattern!

Free link or paid! I know I'm silly, but I've never made a shawl before and would like to make one for someone special while in the hospital with their baby son. I don't know that I'm an intermediate, but so far I love the look of the Garden Trellis Shawl from Crochet Garden. All you shawlmakers (or admirers) please come tell me your VERY FAVORITE one! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doris Chan's Blue Curraco from Amazing Crochet Lace!!! Without a doubt one of the loveliest shawls ever. Also, I love to make the Seraphina. Once you figure the pattern out, It goes like wildfire and can be made in any yarn or thread!!

I just started the Seraphina Shawl Pattern by Doni this weekend and it's turing out to be a favorite. Very easy and works up quickly and you can use just about any yarn and hook.

Half Granny Shawl is another favorite. I like to start from the bottom top. Made 2 of these.

Half Granny Square Shawl this is just like the one I've done (very easy to do and this site has instructions and tips for beginners... )

Half Granny Square instructions this one is similar but a little different but looks as easy and very popular.

I also enjoyed doing the Elegant Shawl from lion brand.

Pineapple Shawl this is originally a vintage doily/chairback pattern, but works great as a doily. I like this one too and since I hung it up as a curtain, need to make another one and want to anyway.

I don't know if I have one favorite... but those are a few I've done that I like and would do again.

Debbi

Now I really want that Amazing Crochet Lace book~GORGEOUS!

Debbie, that pineapple chair/doily is also PERFECT! What size hook would it take to turn it into a shawl?

I can tell I'm getting in over my head with time and $$$ for yarn, but HOW does one HELP IT? LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~I've bookmarked ALL of these patterns~they're AWESOME! *THANK YOU!*

Debbie, that pineapple chair/doily is also PERFECT! What size hook would it take to turn it into a shawl?

I used Red Heart Worsted Weight Yarn, White. 2 1/2 skiens (approximately 16 oz), Hook: size H.

If you do a search you can find others who have done this shawl too.

Debbi

I have a few favorites.

I was going to say the Garden Trellis shawl from Crochet Garden - I see you have already found that one. I am actually in the middle of my first time through that pattern. It is working up really nicely so far, and I am really enjoying it.

I also really like the Sweet Pea from the SNB book. It works up really quickly and I always get compliments when I wear it.

One that is similar in terms of stitch pattern is the Fancy Fans Stole by Dot. It reminds me of the Sweet Pea, but is rectangular instead of triangular. It takes a little more time than the Sweet Pea, but also works up really nicely.

I also like the Seraphina Shawl by Doni. Once you figure out what needs to be done here, this is really a beautiful shawl.

Now I really want that Amazing Crochet Lace book~GORGEOUS!

I can tell I'm getting in over my head with time and $$$ for yarn, but HOW does one HELP IT? LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi~I've bookmarked ALL of these patterns~they're AWESOME! *THANK YOU!*

lol, its easy to get overwhelmed w/ so many options to choose from. What I usually do, is try to keep the person it's for in mind. are they a tall/bbw type person? then a smallish shawl would look a bit odd. The same goes for if they are very short/quite thin that a large/long shawl might overwhelm them.

If they are cold natured, then a thicker/warmer thread or a more condensed stitch.....or hot natured a lighter weight or more open stitch.

I know it seems a lot to process, but it will help you pict a pattern a little easier maybe :)

S

I've only made two shawls and can no longer find the patterns for either to be able to share. However I came across this stunning Friendship Shawl pattern by Doris Chan yesterday and am seriously considering making it for me! It's hard to see in the pictures but the main part of the shawl is a celtic knot done in filet. Not sure how hard it would be, I guess it depends on your feelings towards filet crocheting!

I'm sure whatever you choose to make, your friend will love it simply because you took the time to think of her and make something specially for her! :) Good luck!

I have a few favorites.

I was going to say the Garden Trellis shawl from Crochet Garden - I see you have already found that one. I am actually in the middle of my first time through that pattern. It is working up really nicely so far, and I am really enjoying it.

I also really like the Sweet Pea from the SNB book. It works up really quickly and I always get compliments when I wear it.

One that is similar in terms of stitch pattern is the Fancy Fans Stole by Dot. It reminds me of the Sweet Pea, but is rectangular instead of triangular. It takes a little more time than the Sweet Pea, but also works up really nicely.

I also like the Seraphina Shawl by Doni. Once you figure out what needs to be done here, this is really a beautiful shawl.

I like the Fancy Fans! I think it'd be easier for me than the Sweet Pea in terms of adjusting the size.

I like the Fancy Fans! I think it'd be easier for me than the Sweet Pea in terms of adjusting the size.

The Fancy Fans is a nice one. I actually made one for my sister using Patons Brilliant and it turned out very elegantly. I figured she could use it when she goes to the opera and such. And, as you said, it was very easy to adjust the size. I just wish I had taken a picture before giving it to her.

I've only made two shawls and can no longer finder the patterns for either to be able to share. However I came across this stunning Friendship Shawl pattern by Doris Chan yesterday and am seriously considering making it for me! It's hard to see in the pictures but the main part of the shawl is a celtic knot done in filet. Not sure how hard it would be, I guess it depends on your feelings towards filet crocheting!

Wow, that is really beautiful!! Thank you for sharing the link with us. :manyheart

Here is a pattern I made up:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77630

The pattern is free... Thanks for looking

That was one I wanted to try too!

If you like half circle ones, the Half Moon Shawl (Half Moon Shawl along )is another good one. I have it almost done somewhere:blush (if I can even remember the hook size and where I am in the pattern....:blush) but it is an easy one and looks nice.

There is a CAL for shawl lovers too do you feel cold??then you need a .... with other patterns.

Debbi

MyShawlsampler2.jpg

I just made this shawl last thursday night and wrote the pattern for it. You can find the pattern HERE .

I have always had a hard time finding a good shawl pattern so I decided to design my own and it's very comfortable and warm.

If you check out my blog - you can see I'm totally in love with the Serafina! I think Doris Chan's Blue Cuacau is gorgeous too. I love the batwing shawls because they seem to fit so much better around the neck. They just lay so nice without bunching up.

Archived