joining question - please help!

curell5

Question

I am working on this pattern: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/20060AD.html

The pieces have worked up so gloriously fast. Now the joining is going to drive me insane. I have tried whipstitching, but it looks sloppy. I have also used the sc method. It is leaving thousands of tails and is making me insane. (I despise weaving in tails.) Oh, and I have had to undo joins b/c I have put the wrong "ribbon" piece in. Has anyone out there made this afghan and has some magic potion for putting this together in a nice tidy, unconfusing way? Or do I just need to "put my big girl panties on and deal with it"?! Any tips or suggestions would be great! :shrug

6 answers to this question

I am working on this pattern: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/20060AD.html

The pieces have worked up so gloriously fast. Now the joining is going to drive me insane. I have tried whipstitching, but it looks sloppy. I have also used the sc method. It is leaving thousands of tails and is making me insane. (I despise weaving in tails.) Oh, and I have had to undo joins b/c I have put the wrong "ribbon" piece in. Has anyone out there made this afghan and has some magic potion for putting this together in a nice tidy, unconfusing way? Or do I just need to "put my big girl panties on and deal with it"?! Any tips or suggestions would be great! :shrug

The pattern says to use "invisible joining" - see this http://www.knit911.com/crochet911.html or this http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/joining_squares.htm and look at the last entry "mattress stitch" or google "mattress stitch crochet" or "invisible joining crochet" or "invisible weaving crochet" ... I am crap at this, but when I have seen pictures of folks who've done it right, it looks grand :)

Joining granny squares give me hives. I hate it. So I never make granny squares, but recently I got hooked on the charity daisy square. I saw the flat braid join on this site and I love it. No ends to weave it. QUICK!!

Do a search on here and see if you can find it. I can't remember what thread it was in.

Colleen

Marika - I just read both sites that you recommended. I guess the invisible (or mattress) stitch is going to be the way I do it. That way I can lay out the blanket and just get to work. No room for putting the wrong pieces together if they are already placed before I start! RoseRed and Colleen - I agree with you. I don't think it's going to be difficult to join them, but it will be a pain in the rear!! I have three kids and am making a blanket for all of them. The first two I started have to be joined. My son's blanket is going to be a ripple!!! I will check out that other join that you mentioned, Colleen. It sounds pretty...

Joining granny squares give me hives. I hate it. So I never make granny squares, but recently I got hooked on the charity daisy square. I saw the flat braid join on this site and I love it. No ends to weave it. QUICK!!

Do a search on here and see if you can find it. I can't remember what thread it was in.

Colleen

I would have recommended the flat braid, but looking at the afghan and the way the joined squares and rectangles are meant to look like a woven ribbon I thought the flat braid method would not preserve the clean lines necessary for that effect.

:)

I would have recommended the flat braid, but looking at the afghan and the way the joined squares and rectangles are meant to look like a woven ribbon I thought the flat braid method would not preserve the clean lines necessary for that effect.

:)

You know, I think you're right. For those nice sharp color edges, it would probaly be better to go another route.

Happy crocheting!

Colleen

Archived