Are you able ... ?

Are you able to look at a photo of a completed crochet item and then make one on your own ... developing a pattern as you go?

:cheer

Nope, I'm not quite that talented. Even when I'm making the project and following the pattern, its hard to tell what stitch is what. :lol But then, I'm pretty new to the hooking world.

Sort of....

It's one of those things I have tried with mixed success. Sometimes it's easy if it's a motif that repeats itself and you can work backwards to get the starting chain size....

Is there something you had in mind??

I found a photo of a 'Hello Kitty' hat ... but could not find a pattern to purchase ... so I have designed one myself ... now let's see if I can get it all written down to share with others, and for myself - reproduce again.

To be honest, I've never really tried. I've thought about it before & even looked at the stitches & done some counting, sizing up, etc. When it comes to doing the actual work, I'd rather look at a pattern - I don't consider myself particularly creative & the patterns I've worked from are so much better than something I could come up with on my own...at least in my opinion they are.

Yes I can do this and have been doing it for years. And I can convert knit to crochet with relative ease. Most of that is looking at a picture and coming up with a similar concept.

I've only done that once or twice. Years ago, I crocheted a sweater where the pattern called for different stitches on alternating rows, and I used an entirely different stitch for one row, because I didn't like that stitch. It didn't change the looks all that much.

Sometimes on an afghan or even a sweater, I can figure out from the picture what the stitch pattern is... but normally, I just follow the pattern, unless I want to make it longer or wider, whatever.

Hi Nevie,

Here are some of the things I've crocheted by looking at pictures. Once in awhile I can come up with something very similar to the original.

redhatsocietysi7.th.jpg cheeseburgermp5.th.jpg chrocetpringlescandlecu7.th.png

image004nm8.th.jpg crochettbcoversqv0.th.jpg[/url]

Here's my 'Hello Kitty' hat ... just finished it!

Whooohooo!

1080605HelloKitty002.jpg

Love your Hello Kitty Hat ......very nice.

:cat

Have you emailed Brodie from Henderson?

I know her husband .......small world.

I have. It is very liberating. I've also done some by seeing the actual item, not just a picture, which is fairly easy to duplicate, so long as it is not a complicated doily or anything like that. I've done that with hats and t.p. covers and written up the patterns...but they were simple everyday patterns that have been around for ever. Also i did the hen with a picture (in another post somewhere here). It is very fun; you'd be surprised what you're capable of.

• 4 months later...

With large items and good pictures I can. But why? There are so many patterns out there that are so readily available. I'd rather use the pattern and refer to the pic if I get stuck. If it is a pic of something not crocheted originally, like a quilt or animal, etc...then yes it is worth the effort, and can be very satisfying.

• 2 months later...

Archived