Hook size for Between Meal Centerpiece

JillD

I am going to attempt the Between Meal Centerpiece (http://www.anniesattic.com/stitches/crochet/patterns/pdfs/Between_Meal_Centerpiece.pdf).

The pattern calls for a size 6 steel hook but I noticed at Joann this morning that the Boye and Susan Bates hooks are inconsistent with their sizing of hooks.

A size 6 Boye is 1.8 mm but a SB size 6 is 1.6 mm. (A size 5 SB is 1.7 mm, which means that it is still smaller than the Boye size 6).

There is no gauge given for the BMC and the pattern does not give a hook brand or a mm size. I have no clue what size hook to use.

If you have made the BMC, what size/brand hook did you use and how big was your finished product? It is suppose to be 30".

Thanks.

I can't say for sure; I probably used what the pattern called for. I have a size 6 hook which is a Boye, but my size 7 is Susan Bates [and my favorite hook!]. So maybe I used the 7. Don't know for sure, but I know that I tend to crochet tightly, and my BMC is 26" across.

I don't think a size 6 of either brand will give a significantly different result.

I used a Boye #7, which is 1.65mm. My BMC finished at 29". A lot is going to depend upon how tightly or loosely you crochet, Jill. I usually run roughly in the mid range — not particularly tight or loose. Good luck on the project! Mine turned out great.

Most of my crochet patterns give a range of hook sizes--1.00 to 1.25mm, for example, or 1.25-1.50. Pick a hook that matches your thread size, and it will probably work out okay. There is room for some flexibility.

I used a Boye, because I don't really care for the SB steel hooks. I don't remember how large mine was, as I gave it to my mother-in-law. I used the size that the pattern called for. It came out very elegant.

Archived