Romancing the Paper Snowflake Motif

I just finished one and posted the picture here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1310471&postcount=31221

You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

I think mine would've looked better if I'd used either a larger hook or yarn with a better drape. This is TLC's essentials, and it is pretty stiff. However, it really is a very pretty square, it looks pretty and lacy but doesn't have so many holes that it provides no warmth.

thank you so much. That is just so pretty. Good work on a great square.:hug

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just finished one and posted the picture here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1310471&postcount=31221

You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

I think mine would've looked better if I'd used either a larger hook or yarn with a better drape. This is TLC's essentials, and it is pretty stiff. However, it really is a very pretty square, it looks pretty and lacy but doesn't have so many holes that it provides no warmth.

I knew I was forgetting something...(thanks Darski for posting...triggered my memory here...)

Your square looks great. I was using RR Supersaver and we all know that it doesn't give a lot of drape...so my squares are a bit stiff, but that's okay...I'm looking forward to experimenting with this pattern with thread and sock yarn, etc...

Thank you so much...

LeAnna, I'm working on the square now and I seem to be doing okay through Round 5, although I have 8 chain 3 spaces instead of 4 ... a ch3 before the corner and a ch3 after the corner. Is that correct?

I worked Round 6 and had problems with that. Came out with a little more than 120 st. Don't know where I went wrong. Round 7 didn't work because of my Round 6, I guess, so I frogged. Gonna keep trying and will get back to you if I can figure out what my problem is.

It is so pretty through Round 5; I just love it! Working it in Red Heart Ocean, a variegated...very pretty.

Thank you for giving us the pattern! :ty As Darski said, thanks all over the place!!!

:hiDarski!

Cindy, yours looks fantastic! Can you help me out with Round 6? May be kinda difficult since I'm not sure what my problem is. :lol After I try it again, maybe I'll be able to put it into words.

LeAnna, I'm working on the square now and I seem to be doing okay through Round 5, although I have 8 chain 3 spaces instead of 4 ... a ch3 before the corner and a ch3 after the corner. Is that correct?

I worked Round 6 and had problems with that. Came out with a little more than 120 st. Don't know where I went wrong. Round 7 didn't work because of my Round 6, I guess, so I frogged. Gonna keep trying and will get back to you if I can figure out what my problem is.

It is so pretty through Round 5; I just love it! Working it in Red Heart Ocean, a variegated...very pretty.

Thank you for giving us the pattern! :ty As Darski said, thanks all over the place!!!

:hiDarski!

Cindy, yours looks fantastic! Can you help me out with Round 6? May be kinda difficult since I'm not sure what my problem is. :lol After I try it again, maybe I'll be able to put it into words.

Okay I corrected round 5, you're right, should be 8 4 ch loops...how many stitches did you come up with for round 6 exactly?

I'm trying to put Rnd 6 into my own words and it is sooooo hard! I assume there should be 30 st on ea side from corner to corner. I am so confused. I get 124 sts, 31 from side to side. Here's how I interpret the round:

• In the 1st corner, I have the ch2 (1st hdc), hdc, a ch2 sp, and 2 hdc = 6 sts
  • * dc in next 2 dc st, = 2 sts
  • in ch 3 sp, do 2 hdc, 1 sc, = 3 sts
  • 1 sc in next st (that's in a sc on the prev rnd, right?) = 1 st
  • ch 2, = 2 sts
  • looping around the 2 ch 4 of previous rounds 4 and 5, dc in dc of Round 3 = 1 st, a dc
  • and ch 2. = 2 st
  • In next sc (I call this the center single) (dc ch 1 dc) = 3 sts
  • ch 2, = 2 sts
  • dc around ch 4 of Rounds 4 and 5, dc in dc of Round 3. = 1 st, a dc
  • (Should there be a ch2 here?) = 2 sts
  • (Does this begin the Big Corner Shell? [sc in sc. = 1 st
  • Sc, 2 hdc in ch 3 sp, (the sc and 2 hdc all go in the ch3 sp like at the beginning of this side, right?) = 3 sts
  • dc in next 2 dc, = 2 sts

:help:thair

(This is in the next corner space, right?):

(2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc)

dc in next 2 dc st, 2 hdc, sc in ch 3 sp, sc in next st.] (Big Corner Shell made.)

Repeat from * 3 more times and join with a sl st in top of ch 2. (120 st.)

Thanks for the help, LeAnna!!!!

Jeannie, I might have miss counted...I'll work up another square tomorrow and do another count for you...I've also asked others working on this square in the SKY CAL to pay attention to the count for row 6...we'll get it worked out...

Jeannie, I might have miss counted...I'll work up another square tomorrow and do another count for you...I've also asked others working on this square in the SKY CAL to pay attention to the count for row 6...we'll get it worked out...

Thanks, LeAnna! Sure do appreciate the help. The square is just sooooo pretty! Cindy sure did a nice job with hers. Wonder what she did?

First of all I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must be to write up a pattern and this one seems fairly complex to me. I think my preconceived ideas :think of something or another, I don't know what :lol, are messing me up.

Round 7: Sl st to corner sp, ch 1, sc 3 times in corner sp. Sc in next 7 st. *
Hdc
in next st, ch 3,
dc
in dc, ch 3,

sc in dc, ch 3, sc in dc
(over the V st, right?)

ch 3,
dc
in dc, ch 3
dc
in sc, sc in next 7 st, 3 sc in corner. Repeat from * 3 more times. Join with sl st in beg. Sc. (152)

In Round 7, I don't understand how --separated by all the ch3's-- beginning with a hdc, go to a dc, then on the other side of the V st, go to a dc and another dc before the 7 sc. In my thinking for it to be even, the last st before the ending 7 sc should be the same as the 1st st after the 1st 7 sc, either both a hdc or both a dc. Does this make any sense? Of course, this may not be a part of your design. Me don't know. :think

Do you have an Instant Messenger ID? Maybe we could work through it that way if you have the time.

I can really be a pest when it comes to working through a pattern. Just ask Cara!!! :lol:lol:lol I know I've driven her crazy in the past although she won't say that.

*running screaming from the room...* Jeannie...I'm gonna have to sit down and make another square now...

Okay, we had this problem with Round 8 and yes, you're correct, it should be the same "coming and going..." I'll go correct Round 7...sorry about that...

Okay Jeannie...it was a typo on my part...my rough drafts had it correct...but it was a typo on my part...again, sorry about that...

Oh and I'm 7lyonnaise on Yahoo Messenger and I do have the Messenger up right now...

Jeannie...it's 12:30 a.m. here and I'm off to bed...hang in there with the pattern...I did make corrections and I really appreciate your attention to detail...'cause it's gonna make it easier for everyone else...thank you so much...

Jeannie...it's 12:30 a.m. here and I'm off to bed...hang in there with the pattern...I did make corrections and I really appreciate your attention to detail...'cause it's gonna make it easier for everyone else...thank you so much...
Oh yes, I do realize that. 12:30 a.m.!!! Sorry about that. Sorry I sent you running and screamin' from the room! :lol

I'll add you to my messenger list but I'm not sure what mine comes out as. I have too many ID's running around. :lol It should either have loopy in it or mrnngglry46.

Hope you have a good night's rest! :sleep

I just made up the square again and on round 6 came up with a 124 count...if anyone has a problem with the count on this or any other row, let me know...I kept coming up with 120 and either something wasn't being counted (being missed) or in this case this morning, first I came up with 120 twice until I got to the next row and discovered I was missing stitches (I made mistake in stitching row 6) from row 6...arggggggg.....

Trying hard to make it right for you and future crocheters of this pattern.

Correct count should be 124.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked in the Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL if your square would work for this bag. Someone made several with the Circle of Friends square so I thought the Snowflake square would work, too. Got a few ladies interested in using the Snowflake to make the bag.

I asked in the Haekelbeutel (Crochet Bag) CAL if your square would work for this bag. Someone made several with the Circle of Friends square so I thought the Snowflake square would work, too. Got a few ladies interested in using the Snowflake to make the bag.

I think this would be a great idea to use this square for that bag. Thanks for bringing it to their attention and mine.

I love the square and the pattern.

Thank you for sharing it.

Margaret

Thank you!

I just found your pattern for the beautiful block. You did a great job on it, be proud..:cheer:cheer

Thanks for sharing it with everyone...:clap

E1

Archived