Romancing the Paper Snowflake Motif

post-1-0-10746700-1362742160_thumb.jpg

This is my first time posting a "designed by me" pattern.

This is an 8" to 9" motif, suitable for afghans or friendship squares. If you experiment with using a different hook or yarn or thread weight, I think it would be great for table clothes, runners or doilies, or even wearables. I hope you like it. Click on the link to see what this puppy looks like. Special thanks to Loopy for her diligence in catching all the typos. Very much appreciated. Thank you to everyone who has tried the pattern and caught the stray mistake or typo...again, very much appreciated.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8BZuHDlwyaqKbI

Romancing the Paper Snowflake

by LeAnna Lyons

Dedicated to Wendy "Aussie" because I was trying to do up a Friendship Square for her! Thanks for the inspiration and the friendship Wendy!

Copyright: Creative Commons, Some Rights Reserved 2008

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.

You may make share copies of this pattern, but please do not sell copies of the pattern unless you request permission from me to do so. Anything you make from this pattern, you may sell, as long as you give credit to me.

To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ or send a letter to CreativeCommons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California 94105, USA.

Skill Level: Intermediate

Dimensions: 8” to 9”

Hook size: G

Recommended yarn: Worsted Weight (but please, don't let that limit you, feel free to experiment with other weights of yarn or thread and hooks, which I have done and I'm telling you, using a steel hook #5 and #10 crochet cotton turns out an awesome square that's about 4"...)

Terms: Beg 2 dc corner shell (Ch 3, 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dc)
2 dc corner shell (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc)
Beg corner shell “A” (ch 2 (counts as hdc) sc, ch 2, sc, hdc)
Corner Shell “A” (Hdc, sc, ch 2, sc, hdc)
Corner Shell “B” (sc, hdc, dc, ch 3, dc, hdc, sc)
Corner Shell “C” [sc in sc. Sc, 2 hdc in ch 3 sp, dc in next 2 dc, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) dc in next 2 dc st, 2 hdc, sc in ch 3 sp, sc in next st.]

Abbreviations: ch – chain
St – stitch
Sc – single crochet
Hdc – half double crochet
Dc – double crochet
Tr – treble crochet
Sl st – slip stitch

Disclaimer: As you work this motif IT WILL PUCKER through Round 7, and then will flatten out a little through Rounds 8 and 9. It will lay flat AFTER it's BLOCKED. To quote Robin Williams, "Don't be afraid!"

Round 1: Chain 4, slip stitch into 4th chain from hook to make loop. Ch 1, sc in loop, ch 3. * Sc in loop, ch 3 7 times. Sl st in 1st sc. (8 ch 3 loops.)

Round 2: Sl st in 1st 3 ch loop. Ch3, (counts as dc) 1 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in same loop. (Beg 2 dc corner shell made). *Sc in next loop, 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc (2 dc corner shell made) in next loop and repeat from * around. Sl st in top of ch 3. (4 corner shells, 4 sc)
Round 3: Sl st in next st, sl st to ch sp. Ch 2 (counts as hdc) sc ch2 sc, hdc in same sp. (Beg corner shell A made.) *Hdc in next st, dc in next st, tr in next st, dc in next st, hdc in next st. In corner do (hdc, sc, ch2, sc hdc.) (Corner Shell A made) Repeat from * 3 more times. Sl st. at top of ch 2. (44 st.)

Round 4: Sl st in next st, sl st in ch sp and ch 1. (Sc, hdc, dc ch 3, dc, hdc, sc in same sp, corner shell B made) *Ch 4 sc in tr st, ch 4, corner shell. Repeat from * 3 more times and join with a sl st in 1st sc of round. (4 corner shells, 8 4-ch sp.)

Round 5: Sl st in each st to corner ch sp. Ch 3 (counts as dc) dc, ch 2, 2 dc in same sp. * Ch 3, sc in sc of previous corner shell. Ch 4, sc in next sc, ch 4, sc in next sc, ch 3. (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc – corner shell B made) in corner chain space. Repeat from * 3 more times and join with sl st in top of ch 3. (4 corner shells, 8 3-ch sp, 8 4-ch sp.)

Special stitch note for Round 6, Looping around two ch 4's: YO, in FRONT of the two ch 4's, insert hook in the dc st in row 3, the yarn will be in front of the two ch 4's; now with the hook, reach up BEHIND the ch 4's and YO (GRAB THE YARN) and pull through the dc st in row 3. If you did it right you will have dc'd around or "looped" the two ch 4's.

Round 6: Sl st to corner sp (ch 2, counts as hdc, hdc, ch2, 2 hdc) dc in next 2 dc st, in ch 3 sp, do 2 hdc, 1 sc, 1 sc in next st, ch 2, looping around the two ch-4 (see Special Note directly above Round 6) of previous rounds 4 and 5, dc in dc of Round 3 and ch 2. *In next sc (dc ch 1 dc) ch 2, dc around ch 4 of Rounds 4 and 5, dc in dc of Round 3. [sc in sc. Sc, 2 hdc in ch 3 sp, dc in next 2 dc, (2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) dc in next 2 dc st, 2 hdc, sc in ch 3 sp, sc in next st.] (Big Corner Shell made.) Repeat from * 3 more times and join with a sl st in top of ch 2. (124 st.)

Round 7: Sl st to corner sp, ch 1, sc 3 times in corner sp. Sc in next 7 st. * Hdc in next st, ch 3, dc in dc, ch 3, sc in dc, ch 3, sc in dc, ch 3, dc in dc, ch 3 Hdc in sc, sc in next 7 st, 3 sc in corner. Repeat from * 3 more times. Join with sl st in beg. Sc. (152)

Round 8: Ch 1, sc in same sp. 3 sc in next st (middle st of previous 3 sc.) * Sc in next 5 sc, hdc in next 4 st, dc in next 2 3-ch sps, 3 dc in next ch sp, dc in next 2 ch sp, hdc in next 4 st, sc in next 5 st, 3 sc in next st (corner.) Repeat from * 3 more times and join with sl st. in beg sc. (112)

Round 9: Ch 3 (counts as dc) dc in next st, 5 dc’s in corner (middle st of 3 sc previous.) *Dc in next 13 st, sk next dc (center dc of 3 dc previous) dc in next 13 st, 5 dc in middle of corner. Repeat from * and join with sl st in top of ch 3. FO (124)

Last note: Every attempt since this pattern has been posted on this site, has been made to correct any and all typos and to have the directions as clear as possible for the average crocheter. If you have a question, please do not hesitate to pm me. Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LeAnna what a pretty square! Thank you for sharing with us! Your first printed works, how wonderful :hug

Thanks Shell...I have you to thank for pushing me (in a gentle) way towards this goal...)

It took two Aussies to get me where I am today...thank you!

Thank you Evelyn...I like solid colors with lots of texture...I'm glad you like it.

A very pretty pattern, Leanna! I'm seeing this as a lady's vest, perhaps in a delicate rose color and small, soft yarns. It would be lovely on someone with the right figure!

Great square!Thanks!!

A very pretty pattern, Leanna! I'm seeing this as a lady's vest, perhaps in a delicate rose color and small, soft yarns. It would be lovely on someone with the right figure!

I love your square!

36_1_75.gifon your published pattern! I can't wait to make it! 7_20_6.gif

Thanks everyone!

That is a beautiful square. I love the design detail in that.

I crochet loosely with hefty WW yarns and I will be very interested in seeing how this comes out.

Thanks all over the place for sharing this one! :hug

Edited to add: has anyone made this and taken a full picture? Just curious :think

I just finished one and posted the picture here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1310471&postcount=31221

You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

I think mine would've looked better if I'd used either a larger hook or yarn with a better drape. This is TLC's essentials, and it is pretty stiff. However, it really is a very pretty square, it looks pretty and lacy but doesn't have so many holes that it provides no warmth.

Archived