Coffee Table Runner 2 questions.

lmz

Hi All, I am a newbie to thread crochet... But LOVE it!

I did a search about ruffling, and read that if I have the problem below, it should work itself out.

But then I noticed in the "show and tell" some folks here have done this pattern, and I would love some input to make sure I am not wasting my time... and should start over.

Anyway... I started a new thread table runner Tues. eve... as I was working I notice that the outer edge was becoming soooooo ruffled, not just a little, but like the sleeves of a Liberace costume!! I noticed this on row 8...

Maybe I screwed up on row 7 --- The way I read it, I will have 8 dc in each shell chain 3 (after beg shell)... is this right?

(Shell= 2dc, ch3, 2 dc) in sme ch sp.)

Rnd 7: Beg shell in shell, ch 2, 2 dc, ch 5, 2 dc in next ch-3 sp of shell, ch 2, [shell in shell, ch 2, 2 dc, ch 5, 2 dc in next ch-3 sp of shell, ch 2] around join.....

I tried to flatten by hand and see if it would work out in blocking, but doesn't *appear* so....

I continued even after the ruffling to see if it would work out, but don't see any results *yet*... and with 6 hours already invested I would rather frog now, if there may not be any hope of it flattening out...

I am hoping that someone that has already done this pattern could let me know if this is normal.

I haven't been able to continue this evening as I put my 7 hook somewhere "safe" last nite and now can't find it!! :think Will get another on way home from work tomorrow.... (Have a Bates, but for me not at comfy as my Boyle).

I am going to post a pic @ Ravelry tomorrow, to see if that may help in getting some help.

Same name: lmz

TIA!!:manyheart

Lisa I got your PM . And I am sorry I can't be of to much help. I couldn't find my notes on this doily. I do no when you start the outer wings of it there is a typo. But like I said I don't have my notes. It's really easy to spot and fix tho.

Most my doilies will ruffle. I just use my steam iron and hit it with burst of steam an finger press. That should help out.

Sorry this is so short . I am packing to leave on vacation this AM.

Good luck

Brenda

Lisa,

I have this pattern with some notes on it but I'll be darned if I can find the completed doily. I don't recall any major problems with the pattern. All thread doilies will ruffle somewhat when you are working on them, it shouldn't be drastic though!.

If it is giving you tons of trouble, I can recommend this pattern which is almost exactly the same. http://www.learn-how-to-crochet.com/doily.html. I have made this doily (and can find it, its on my piano) and it came out great! You just need to watch the terms. This pattern was written by a woman from Australia so the stich names are different. Click on the link for the equivalency tables for the coversions.

I don't know how far along you are, I know 6 hours is alot of time to have to start to pull out rows. I understand as I have had to do it many times.

Hope this is of some help,

Toni

If you have 8 dc in each shell - that's your problem. There should only be 4. (2dc, ch3, 2dc)

I thought about doing this pattern but it's finished off. If you look at the pic of the PA's on the edges the shells don't even connect.

Brenda: Thank you for taking the time from your busy morning to respond. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Toni: Thanks for the link -- yes, it looks identical 'cept tr instead of dc... I am going to rip back to row 7 (all else seems the same prior)... and start with these new instructions. But I am going to stick with the size 10 thread... I am not ready for 20!!:D

RoseRed: What are PA's? I am still ignorant to some terms...:blush

Thanks to you all!!

ETA: I took out my interpretations that were incorrect as to not confuse anyone in the future.... With help, I realized I was putting everything into each ch3, whereas I should have been splitting the instr. with alternating ch3s. Just my newness I suppose. Thanks again.

Archived