Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Poncho

Becks

I have two sisters with Autism. This is a great design! You should wear it at a Walk for Autism Research Walk! We do it every year and its great! The puzzle piece idea would be great as an Autism Awareness Scarf too!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a grandson with autism & I've been wanting to crochet his mother(my dd) something with the puzzle piece symbol. Unfortunately I cannot get my puzzle pieces to look right. Is there any chance you will be sharing or selling your chart?

I actually don't like the word 'autistic', I am a Education Assistant and work with a 9 year old that has autism. Maybe the bumper sticker should read "Children with Autism Rock".

Just a suggestion :scrachin.

thanks for you input...I am not and have not made this bumper sticker but read it on a car and it just didn't sit right with me. So I thought I would ask the family members of autistic children and see what they thought.

I have two sisters with Autism. This is a great design! You should wear it at a Walk for Autism Research Walk! We do it every year and its great! The puzzle piece idea would be great as an Autism Awareness Scarf too!

You are right, a scarf would be wonderful with this design.

Your poncho is amazing! I am a teacher of PreK children who have autism and have t-shirts, pins, magnets etc. with the puzzle pieces but I haven't crocheted anything yet.

Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a grandson with autism & I've been wanting to crochet his mother(my dd) something with the puzzle piece symbol. Unfortunately I cannot get my puzzle pieces to look right. Is there any chance you will be sharing or selling your chart?

i would definitely use (if free) or purchase to use if you are sharing or selling the chart. :crocheting

Here's a photo of my graph.

(Click on to enlarge it).

th_DSC00008-19.jpg

Hee hee, :) I got to mess around with the editing buttons at photobucket to add my name and title of the graph. How fun! :yay

I hope you can make your things using the graph. Each puzzle piece is 13 squares across, (minus the "heads". If you keep that number in mind you won't mess up.

The outlined area is what I used for the poncho. (But the third row is really a repeat of the first row).

All you really need to remember is two squares across and two squares up.

(But it does help to draw out more of it to visualize it in your mind better).

I can't wait to see the things you all will come up with!

This is fantastic. I also have a boy with asperger's. I made a puzzle afghan (a LOT bigger pieces) 2 years ago as a thank you to the LRC room of wonderful people that work with my son.

The poncho is great and a scarf would be too!

BRAVO!!

Oooo, I love that idea of a CAL for this pattern!! :clap

I may even make a scarf too.

I've made a tunisian-crocheted scarf before.

It looks great if you make it just wide enough to join the sides in the back.

It hides the ugly backside of your work, and it is doubly warm.

An example of what I mean is the Dumbledore scarf I made.

Dumble scarf

If you scroll down a bit you can see the back. There is a seam where it was joined.

I would suggest it to be four puzzle pieces wide, (instead of 5 as in the graph).

This way, if you joined the sides together, the puzzle pieces would match up.

Then it would look like two pieces in width, (front and back).

I hope all that made sense, :lol

You'd have to be sure and make the puzzle colors match up at the place where they joined in back though. Like, if the first puzzle piece you made was blue, the fourth puzzle's "indented head piece" should also be that same blue so that when you joined it in back it would look like one whole puzzle piece.

But these are only suggestions. Anybody can make whatever they please, of course.

• 1 month later...

Archived